Into the Forest discussion

Silverlock (Silverlock, #1)
This topic is about Silverlock
Previous Group Reads > Silverlock - Spoilers -plot and characters

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
This is a place to discuss Silverlock with spoilers. What do you like? Not like? What do you think of Silverlock himself?

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I am not finished with the story yet, but I just want to comment on how choke full of fairy/folk/myth this books is! Wow. I really wish I knew some of the tales better, because I suspect I am missing out. In fact, I am certain that I am.

I think we need to do up a list.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Great idea!

message 5: by Mawgojzeta (last edited Feb 07, 2011 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I have finished "Silverlock". I started out really enjoying this book, but quickly found myself becoming less and less excited to pick it back up again. I also caught myself checking (more than once) to see how many pages I had left to read.

I think part of my issue is that I became tired of not knowing every other reference. Once I discovered a "companion" listing all of these references, the characters had more meaning but it seemed to be a lot of work! Not the author's fault that I am not well-read enough, but that does not change my feeling regarding the book.

Silverlock himself was an interesting character. Certainly not a likable guy, but that is mostly because as the reader, I knew what was going on in his mind. I think we all are far less wonderful deep down inside than we would like to admit. I do see growth as the story progresses and this is one thing that did keep my interest through the story; wanting to see how much he would grow from his experiences.

My problem with the novel was that it reminded me very much of The Complete Compleat Enchanter, which I thought was better.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I have not read that book.

It's along the same lines. The character goes to famous literary settings such as Spenser's Faerie Queen. It predates Silverlock though.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Did you like it?

Was it great? No. I read the edition that had all four books in one volume, which was most likely the wrong way to read it because I got tired of it.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Hmmm - think I might skip it and stick to ones that are great (or I think might be great). Thanks!

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm having the same issue. I haven't finished it yet--I know I should be done already! I keep looking up the references, and then I become absorbed in doing that instead. I have to force myself to go back to reading the book.

I think the idea is a good one but it wears thin quickly. I think it might have worked better if Silverlock had been split into smaller books.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa That's a good point. I really like being introduced to new literature and concepts, but it is a bit much to read all at once. Of course, I guess that is half the point-- it's just a bit overwhelming for the reader.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa That's a good point. I really like being introduced to new literature and concepts, but it is a bit much to read all at once. Of course, I guess that is half the point-- it's just a bit overwhelming for the reader.