Urban Fantasy discussion

MOVIES & TV > Reading a Series AND watching it's TV show?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Drake (elizabethdrake) When a tv show is created based on a book series, do you continue to watch the series AND read the books?

I can't seem to do both. I used to read the Sookie Stackhouse series but found the TV show to be MUCH more entertaining and stopped reading the books. I also love the tv show Dexter, but can't seem to even give the books a shot.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Doesn't Dexter have less romance in it? That would stop me.... I don't watch it but that is because the one. I watched a little of I think a child was going to be killed..... I turned it off. I got scared.

message 3: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright The Dexter books also change genre's by book three... it goes from horror mystery to horror fantasy... its really wierd... i think the author was doing drugs during the fourth book.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

LOLOLOLOL thats funny...... I know what you mean

message 5: by Suz (new)

Suz The situation is similar to me as movie adaptations. Rarely does the visual medium compare to the book for me. I have to disagree about True Blood. Alan Ball's vision of those characters is heinously out of character for me.

Usually if I learn about a book by the time there is a film adaptation I wait and see the film first, then read the book. Otherwise I end up disappointed in the film. If I see the film first then I can accept them as different mediums and visions, but the reverse is rarely true for me.

I tried so hard, for so long, to give Alan Ball's vision a chance and accept that they were different mediums. When he had Bill ask Sookie to marry him I was appalled, but when he watered down Bill raping Sookie to just an over feeding he pretty much lost me. True Blood was "must see" tv when it started, now it's "if I get around to it" tv. But I still look forward to the books (even if I really can't stand the author's website).

message 6: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright I agree! Additionally Sookie's brother should be freakin panther by now... I also think that there are too many characters in the freakin show! I could give two shyts about Tara anymore! They watered down Sookie's dealing with Alcide... where the hell are the witch's by the way? Why is sookie's cousin alive? Why are the fairies not living on earth and dancing in strip clubs like in the book?.... I'm sorry I'm just pretty upset with True Blood!

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Drake (elizabethdrake) Witches are coming this season, Urban. I much prefer Alan Ball's vision. The scene last season when Edgington took over the airwaves, killing the anchor and revealing the "true" nature of vampires was absolutely brilliant (mostly because of Denis O'Hare). Although, I must admit, I do miss Bubba.

I also enjoy how the tv series concentrates on a number of characters that merely stand in the background in the books. However, this may have a lot to do with the fact that the character of Sookie infuriates me on a regular basis.

message 8: by Suz (new)

Suz Ok, I could write a book about the things I dislike about True Blood in comparison to the books.

Instead I'm going to list some of the things I prefer in True Blood.

1. I'm glad they kept LaFayette. Great character.
2. I agree with Elizabeth regarding the Russell Edgington in the media scene. Until that moment I considered Russell just another out of character character. That scene was smokin', though.
3. I like Jessica & don't mind the Hoyt side story.
4. I like the way the vamps die. What a gory mess.

That's it. That's all I can think of that I like about True Blood over the books. Like I said, I could write my own series on what I don't like that's different.

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user This has only happened for me in the case of the Sookie books. I think you just continue with whichever medium you like better. Usually, there's a clear winner since they're so different. For me, I like the Sookie books better.

message 10: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_fall) I love Dexter! (The show; I haven't read the books). As for watching the TV show of a series that I'm reading, that hasn't happened to me all that often. The series I read aren't usually popular enough to get their own shows. But when I do, I like to read at least the first book before I start the show just so that I can get a strong mental picture and feel for the characters. I like to form my own ideas of how everything looks and feels before watching someone else's. Otherwise I just imagine everything and everyone the same as in the show while I'm reading, which isn't as fun!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezzyevilmuffin) Suz, I must say a agree with all of what you've said about True Blood, I enjoyed the books so much, but am pretty disappointed in the series.
I sort of think of the series as like a spinoff from the books, and seen from other characters perspective, instead of just Sookie's. That helps me through it! ;)

message 12: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 48 comments I just love the True Blood series! I've read all of the Sookie books, but when a new book comes out, I'm like, ok I'll read it. When the new TrueBlood season comes out though I can't wait to watch it! I think the books aren't as good as they used to be and Alan Ball has given them a whole new life. I can't wait to see what he does next! I know they're very different from the books, so I just look at them as two completely different stories. It's funny to hear other peoples opinions though, lol.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (imahoodieninja) | 80 comments I actually read the Sookie books before Tru Blood came out and I have to say I like the books more. My mother is infatuated with the TV series.
As far as Dexter is concerned.... I am madly in Love with that series lol I didn't even have showtime and I ordered it just for Dexter. I have only read the first book from that series (again I read that before the TV series) and I still love both of them. How can you NOT love Michael C. Hall?! lol

message 14: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 45 comments I read all the Sookie books that had been released before the TV show (many before the book series became super popular).

To me the show and books are so different that I can do both and not be bothered. It's like 2 seperate things to me.

I watched a couple of seasons of Dexter but I've never read the books.

I've read a few of the Bones books but again-the show is so completely different that it's not an issue for me.

message 15: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Only time I've really read and watched something at the same time was with The Walking Dead. I'm a huge fan of the comics so when the series came out I was watching it every night. And of course I was still keeping up with the monthly issues of the comic.

There were plot changes, but the characters were kept true to their comic counterparts so I didn't really mind.

message 16: by Tiphaine (new)

Tiphaine | 60 comments I read the Vampire Diaries and didn't really enjoy the books but I love the show! I like Jeremy but he isn't in the book, and Caroline is a nice person and not the bitch of the book.
Also Ian Somerhalder!

message 17: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments I enjoy reading Charlaine Harris' version of the Sookie Stackhouse books AND Alan Ball's version of Bon Temps, LA its inhabitants and environs.

I am able to see them as completely separate. The books are about Sookie. The tv show is an ensemble.

I've never watched or read Dexter, but I enjoy "Bones" and I was totally bummed when I read one of the books that there were no "Squints." I read and watch Alexander McCall Smith's "No. 1 Ladies Detection Agency," which is another HBO show. (At least I hope it is.)

Going back some time, Lifetime's version of the Vicky Nelson books was pretty bad. So was the Sci Fi channel's Harry Dresden series. I love "The Walking Dead" on tv and intend to read the books.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (imahoodieninja) | 80 comments AH! Tiphaine I forgot about the Vampire Diaries! I'd rather watch the show anytime. I could not for the life of me get through the first book!

message 19: by Becca (last edited Feb 02, 2011 04:43PM) (new)

Becca (goblinfan) | 215 comments I loved the books and the show of Tanya Huff's Vicky Nelson series.
I look at the Sookie series and True Blood show as two completely different series. As soon as I read the second book, I stopped comparing it to the show. It was the only way I could easily enjoy the books.
Same goes for Bones, although I think the books are pretty good. Some of the books, though I'd sprain something if I didn't roll my eyes at some of it. I really like the procedural parts of the books, but some of the plot is just a little hard to swallow.
I didn't care for the Harry Dresden books, and hoped that I would like the show, but it lacked something. I'm trying really hard to get through Fool Moon, but it's a struggle.

message 20: by Jupiter1 (new)

Jupiter1 | 29 comments Tiphaine wrote: "I read the Vampire Diaries and didn't really enjoy the books but I love the show! I like Jeremy but he isn't in the book, and Caroline is a nice person and not the bitch of the book.
Also Ian Somer..."

I couldn't finish the first Vampire Diaries book but I absolutely love the show! I like how they changed Elena and Caroline's characters a lot.

message 21: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Becca,

I liked Fool Moon#2, but a lot of people don't. You might put it down and see if you like Grave Peril #3 better.

message 22: by Martin (new)

Martin (mafrid) | 23 comments To me the strength of True Blood was that they chose to rewrite the story enough, for me to not recognize the story, to the point that I didn't know what was coming. Otherwise I don't think I could have watched it after having read the books. Now it's really a toss up, which is better, some things are done better in the TV-series (I still have the image of Sookie scrubbing the kitchen floor clear in my mind), while other things were done better in the books.

When it comes to Dexter the story is too similar to be separated between the book and TV-series. Some details have changed and a lot of side story has been added to the TV-series, but too little has changed for me to enjoy both. Still can't help to love different aspects of both the TV-series and the books, so it's hard to make a choice - on the other hand I haven't gotten far enough in the book series to have noticed the change in genre - thanks for the spoiler Urban! :-)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the sookie stackhouse books and watch the TV show. I find it both entertaining in diffrent ways. At the moment im reading a game of thrones, and cant wait to watch the series that comes in april.

I love supernatural, but havent wanted to read the books.

message 24: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 45 comments I love the Harry Dresden books and have purposely not watched the series. If it had lasted longer than it did then I'd probably get it from Netflix. But I kind of figured it probably wasn't good if it didn't last very long.

message 25: by Jupiter1 (new)

Jupiter1 | 29 comments Mary wrote: "I love the Harry Dresden books and have purposely not watched the series. If it had lasted longer than it did then I'd probably get it from Netflix. But I kind of figured it probably wasn't good i..."

The Dresden Files show was absolutely terrible. The books are way better.

message 26: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Mary wrote: "I love the Harry Dresden books and have purposely not watched the series. If it had lasted longer than it did then I'd probably get it from Netflix. But I kind of figured it probably wasn't good i..."

They had Bianca and Dresden sleep together... if that gives you any perspective on how terrible it was.

message 27: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Mary wrote:

But I kind of figured it probably wasn't good if it didn't last very long.

Not true of Firefly, Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies.
Very true of the The Dresden Files...

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Drake (elizabethdrake) Julia wrote: "Mary wrote:

But I kind of figured it probably wasn't good if it didn't last very long.

Not true of Firefly, Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies.
Very true of the The Dresden Files..."

I LOVED Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies. And I want to add Dead Like Me and Veronica Mars to the list!

message 29: by Martin (new)

Martin (mafrid) | 23 comments Julia & Elizabeth: Can you please provide the literary reference for those series as I've never heard about it and can't find it when searching?

message 30: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 45 comments Yeah I caught a couple of episodes of Firefly and was disappointed to see that it had a short run and had already been cancelled.

message 31: by Becca (new)

Becca (goblinfan) | 215 comments Thanks for the suggestion, Julia. If I come across the third book at a used book sale I'll pick it up. If the audio versions were a lot cheaper, I'd go that route. I already have the first book on audio, which was great, read by James Marsters.

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Drake (elizabethdrake) Martin wrote: "Julia & Elizabeth: Can you please provide the literary reference for those series as I've never heard about it and can't find it when searching?"

They're not books, they are short lived tv series'. We were simply commenting on Mary's comment that if the series didn't last very long, it probably wasn't very good. These shows lasted 3 seasons at best but were excellent shows.

message 33: by Martin (new)

Martin (mafrid) | 23 comments Elizabeth wrote: "They're not books, they are short lived tv series'. We were simply commenting on Mary's comment that if the series didn't last very long, it probably wasn't very good. These shows lasted 3 seasons at best but were excellent shows."

OK, just thought that I'd missed something.

message 34: by Julia (last edited Feb 07, 2011 09:38AM) (new)

Julia | 615 comments OK, just thought that I'd missed something.

We all did, Martin when they cancelled these shows. Thanks for explaining my comment, Elizabeth. I think "Wonderfalls" had three or four episodes before it was yanked. "Firefly" Fox showed maybe six episodes out of order and cancelled it. Was "Pushing Daisies" on two years, on two networks, a victim of the writer's strike I think, and networks not having a clue about what to do with it or market its wonderfulness.

There are books in the Firely 'verse. Don't recommend them though, and they came after the tv show & movie based on it "Serenity."

message 35: by Becca (new)

Becca (goblinfan) | 215 comments The book adaptation of the movie Serenity wasn't too bad. There was also another show that should've had more of a chance and was killed off because of the writer's strike: Moonlight. It's not as good as Firefly, but I think it was under rated.

message 36: by Starling (new)

Starling | 153 comments I saw Dexter the TV show first and could not read the books.

I can both watch True Blood and read the Southern Vampires series. They are different enough that I don't care that they started out in the same place.

It is a lot like King Arthur for me. Who's vision of King Arthur are we seeing. I, obviously, at this point haven't seen the new TV series since it hasn't quite started yet, but the fact that I've read books and seen other media King Arthur presentations won't stop me from watching this one at some point.

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary Loesch | 7 comments I'm joining the chat late here, but I'd like to add my thoughts on True Blood vs the Sookie Stackhouse books. I've read them all and when True Blood first started, I was really excited. I did start to get that disappointed feeling in the show when everything starting veering away from the book. But I kept watching. Even though this season is all over the place compared to the original book storylines, I'm actually enjoying it.

I've also read the Vampire Diaries and been watching the show. I liked the books but I think the series, with all it's melodrama and over the top eyebrow action from Damon, is actually better. It's fleshing out the character more and adding a few new friends in.

I'm a huge Dexter fan, though. I read the first three books before watching the show. I loved the show and even though none of the other seasons have kept with the book, I'm still a huge fan. Now, I can't read the Dexter books, because I like the show so much!

message 38: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 93 comments I read the sookie books and I watch True Blood. I enjoy True Blood, but all through the seasons I still think Sookie was miscast. I have never been able to see the actress as the Sookie I love in the books.

I am currently reading the latest book released in the series...does anyone think the Sookie character on TV is influencing the character in the book? Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel like the author is making her more like the character on tv. (as far as how she acts etc, not specifically what is going on) UGH!

message 39: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 182 comments I'm watching Walking Dead, but didn't even realize they were a series too. Are they graphic novels? From the covers they appear to be.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan Stec (thegratefulundead) | 95 comments I'm watching True Blood, while reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, love them both. Just have to remember to keep them separate.

message 41: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Yes, Carolyn, The Walking Dead (Volume 1): Days Gone Bye is definately a series of graphic novels. However, I have not yet requested it from the library, but I intend to.

message 42: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 182 comments I'll see if my library has them Julia. They do have some graphic novels.

message 43: by Powree (new)

Powree | 1 comments Hello all, mind if I join here?lol...

I personally prefer Dexter's TV show compared to the book.I love the Dark Passenger concept the book had. It made Dexter's nature all the more mysterious, although it also amuse me when each psycho's Dark Passengers started roaring at each other. (it's like some kind of animal show off)

The murders in the books are pretty gory and disturbing, which makes things intriguing. But in 'Dexter in the Dark', the supernatural element felt weird.So weird I want to bury the book.

The TV show made things more realistic, and it's doing a great job with twists and cliffhangers. But I'll keep reading Dexter's book. They're pretty different, but it didnt matter much.

Walking dead's graphic novel are great (except the newer books-felt like soap opera), especially the Governor arc. I anxiously wait for the tv show's take on that arc. I was pretty ticked off by Season 1's ending, which tried to explain about the zombie plague. I think it was better to keep it in the common people's perspective.

message 44: by Chrysoula (new)

Chrysoula Tzavelas | 35 comments Oddly, I started with True Blood, and after watching a single season, picked up the first Sookie book. It just didn't work for me. I know it sounds weird but the characters seemed a lot more interesting to me in the HBO version.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) The only one I've done this with is the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood....I read the books years before the show came out and caught up at the end of season one with the show.

I know they had the vampire TV show for the Tanya Huff Bloodline series, but I never watched it. Looks like that and Moonlight were canceled rudely anyway, so I'm glad I didn't.