Stephen King Fans discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 441 (441 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by David (new)

David jones | 166 comments I just thought this would be a good book to discuss. I am reading it and it is so very good so far.

message 2: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments "IT" is definitely one of my favorite King books. The scope is so grand and the characters so involved you really hate when it ends. Pennywise is an all-time great villian.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Lewis | 5 comments I haven't read It yet but it is on my list to read after I finish the book I'm reading now. I wasn't sure about it because I know a couple people who don't like it and a couple who do.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments The title say it all. It is it.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Heather wrote: "I haven't read It yet but it is on my list to read after I finish the book I'm reading now. I wasn't sure about it because I know a couple people who don't like it and a couple who do."

It's honestly a personal thing whether you'll like it but personally I cried the first time I finished it it was that good to me.

message 6: by Jc11king (new)

Jc11king | 103 comments Totally! It's a must-read!

message 7: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I loved it the first time I read it when I was about 15 and again when I re-read it in 2009. Definitely in my Top 10 SK books :)

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Frost (starbuckdk) | 6 comments It was the first Stephen King book I ever read and so far it is still by far my favorite. I had watched the movie once when I was a kid and it scared me half to death. Over the next several years I would try and watch it again many times but I never got very far into it before I got scared and turned it off again. So instead when I was about 13 I got the book from the library. I was completely sucked into the story and while the book at times could be just as scary as the movie it was way too fascinating to put down. The story in the book is a lot richer and I think most of my favorite scenes aren't even in the movie.

I think we all have these books we read in our youth that have a special place in our hearts and It is definitely that book for me.

message 9: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Chavez (meno) Great read I'm in the last 200 pages and i'm getting sad cause i know it will end when i don't want it to.
Ben's my faverite

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather Lewis | 5 comments I'm definitely looking forward to reading it now. I can't wait! =)

message 11: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Hunt Anita wrote: "It was the first Stephen King book I ever read and so far it is still by far my favorite. I had watched the movie once when I was a kid and it scared me half to death. Over the next several years I..."

Yep, pretty much the same. I totally trace my clown phobia (only white face clowns by the way) to the TV movie they broadcast when I was in high school.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Brandy wrote: "Anita wrote: "It was the first Stephen King book I ever read and so far it is still by far my favorite. I had watched the movie once when I was a kid and it scared me half to death. Over the next s..."

Me too! well and also Poltergeist...

message 13: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Brandy wrote: "Anita wrote: "It was the first Stephen King book I ever read and so far it is still by far my favorite. I had watched the movie once when I was a kid and it scared me half to death. Over the next s..."

My parents were watching it when my brother was about 2 years old and he got up out of his bed and he must've seen the clown do something that totally scared the crap out of him, because until he was like 6 he wouldn't sleep in his own room, because "the clown with sharp teeth" was going to come out of his closet and get him. He even told the babysitter that the clown had said "Dakota, you little sh*t" or something like that, words my little bro shouldn't have known lol.

message 14: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Hunt Yep, totally scary clown. The teeth, the white face, Tim Curry -- this was the first and last time something shown on network television scared me so much I couldn't sleep that night.

message 15: by David (new)

David jones | 166 comments Its a really good book so far.

message 16: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Hunt Oh don't get me wrong, its one of my faves. But mondo scary to a fifteen year old girl :D.

message 17: by David (new)

David jones | 166 comments HAHAHA. Well i highly doubt it will be scary to me anyway lol. have u read carrie?

message 18: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Hunt Yeah, but I was older when I read Carrie. I think I might have been in college. I didn't really start to appreciate and look up older titles of King's until then.

message 19: by David (new)

David jones | 166 comments Ah ok. Im prolly gunna read Carrie after IT.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) David wrote: "Ah ok. Im prolly gunna read Carrie after IT."

Carrie's pretty good but I always felt it was a clear first book because it doesn't have the same development he had in later books.

message 21: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (jaimehobbes) | 104 comments It is and will always be my favorite King novel. The characters are so well-written. If you don't love all the Losers by the end, then you have no heart. Plus, King's writing skills in this are at their best. The way he flashes from 55 to 85 is seamless. Amazing book...

message 22: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Jaime wrote: "It is and will always be my favorite King novel. The characters are so well-written. If you don't love all the Losers by the end, then you have no heart. Plus, King's writing skills in this are at ..."

Exactly. I felt like I wanted to go back and live in the 50's and be one of the Loser's, so well developed it's like they're old friends I've always known lol.

message 23: by Ryne (new)

Ryne Pearson (ryne_douglas_pearson) | 11 comments I'm probably repeating myself, but IT is not just my favorite book--it is one of the finest pieces of American literature ever. A story with scope and heart that ranges across time and landscape.

message 24: by Steve (new)

Steve | 247 comments Agreed w/Kyne. There is so much going on with it, particularly the historical interludes that Mike Hanlon examines about Derry. They are like short stories in themselves, all examining the true nature of fear and its effect on society.

message 25: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments One of my favorites of his as well. So gripping. He writes kids soooo well. I remember originally reading in 3 days despite its size. I think that was about all I did those days. LOL

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Terri wrote: "One of my favorites of his as well. So gripping. He writes kids soooo well. I remember originally reading in 3 days despite its size. I think that was about all I did those days. LOL"

It took my 24 hours to read The Talisman. i couldn't stop reading it! IT I took longer with in order to savor it.

message 27: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 65 comments I'm going to reread It this weekend, I know it's going to completely scare me though just like it did when I was 15 and first read it....eeek! I do think it's an absolute classic though, one of my favourites

message 28: by Mickey (new)

Mickey (mobus) | 4 comments This is one of my all time favorite books. The character development is fantastic. Kings draws you in by creating a group of kids that you already know and then playing on the simple fears everyone has experienced. What if something scary was in the drain or gutter? Who's behind the clown make-up? How far will the bully go when crossed? Then BAM! he goes 10 steps further! I can pick this book up anytime, open to any page and enjoy it all over again.

message 29: by Tbirdplanstoread (new)

Tbirdplanstoread | 2 comments The first SK book I ever read was Gerald's Game. I cannot believe that I got my hands on that book when I was in 7th grade but that was the first and only time I EVER read that book. It scared me so bad that I have NEVER been able to even THINK of a pair of handcuffs without referring back to that book...the next book of his that I read was IT, but that was after the movie came out years later. I also have a deep aversion to clowns because of Tim Curry, who I can only seem to see as either Pennywise or Frankenfurter which is deeply disturbing lol. Anyway, I did love the movie, so I decided to read the book, and it was awesome! From there I was on to Thinner and Misery and I was hooked forever. To this day, If I see a copy of Gerald's Game I cringe....lol

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Teresa wrote: "The first SK book I ever read was Gerald's Game. I cannot believe that I got my hands on that book when I was in 7th grade but that was the first and only time I EVER read that book. It scared me s..."

I also have memories of Tim Curry as Darkness in Legend a very good fantasy film :)I was scared of his Pennywise and Darkness as a kid but love his work now. I trace my fear of clowns back to Poltergeist and that evil little clown doll scene :(

I was the same age when I started King only I started with Tommyknockers. It was tough to go from R L Stine to King but I was already a fan because of the movies I'd already seen as a kid.

message 31: by Tony (last edited Mar 10, 2011 09:06AM) (new)

Tony (tuco74) | 2 comments Just had my third time around with It. This time, it was the audio version on a cross-country trip from L.A. to Florida and back. Long trip, but we didn't even get half way through.

My first reading of It was the summer before I turned 21. I was working in a comic book store, hidden on a small street behind a laundromat. Nobody ever came in. I could go entire shifts without having to put the book down. I was getting paid to read It, (and a ton of comics, too)! Those were the days.

message 32: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (ben21) Favorite book, can't get enough of it. Sucks that King for most part went down hill from there. There's some exceptions, but for most part, there's nothing from him that's close.

message 33: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (bluangell) Amanda wrote: "Teresa wrote: "The first SK book I ever read was Gerald's Game. I cannot believe that I got my hands on that book when I was in 7th grade but that was the first and only time I EVER read that book...."
I am so in agreement with the clown aspect of "IT" as Tim Curry,s portrayal of Pennywise is so brilliant and creepy,but my fear of clowns must be deep-seated as it goes way back to the beginning of my childhood and to this day clowns are to me non-human beings and to be avoided at all costs!to make matters worse I have not a clue as to why I hate them so much~GO FIGURE!

message 34: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (bluangell) I forgot to mention that I unfortunately watched the movie "IT" before reading the book which as always in my opinion is a big NO NO!When it comes down to comparing the two you none-the-less miss out on so much detail and the opportunity to allow yourself the chance to bring the characters to life in your own mind and knowing beforehand what path the story will take!With Cujo though this was a completely different outcome!

message 35: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 65 comments I just found Dick Halloran (from the Shining) in IT! I've read the book about 5 times and not noticed before...I love when I find stuff like this that links the books together

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Jane wrote: "I just found Dick Halloran (from the Shining) in IT! I've read the book about 5 times and not noticed before...I love when I find stuff like this that links the books together"

I was so pleased to read about his past in It!

message 37: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 65 comments Me too Amanda! I love how Stephen King puts links between his books like this

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura | 5 comments WOW!! Just finished IT. Loved IT. SK is great at drawing on ones fears and bringing them to life. Reminded me of the nonsensical fears I had as a child (bedding stored in my room looked like ghosts) and the unending imagination of children and its power in their lives. I will never look at a bunch of balloons the same!

message 39: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 65 comments I know what you mean about balloons Laura. I saw this online:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cu...

I suppose it's meant to be fun but I kept looking for the scary clown in all the photos...

message 40: by Joel (new)

Joel (joelarnold) | 9 comments IT is also probably my favorite of King's books. I read it in hardback when it first came out. I remember spending my winter vacation reading it (I was in school at the time.) My parents were great in that they always bought me the newest SK book when it came out, so it was always a birthday or Christmas present I looked forward to.

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Joel wrote: "IT is also probably my favorite of King's books. I read it in hardback when it first came out. I remember spending my winter vacation reading it (I was in school at the time.) My parents were great..."

My parents did the same thing once they figured out I loved his books in jr high. Lol they still do!

message 42: by Joel (new)

Joel (joelarnold) | 9 comments Amanda wrote: "My parents did the same thing once they figured out I loved his books in jr high. Lol they still do!"

That's great!

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) It helps that my birthday falls right around the time his books are published in November :)

message 44: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie Amanda wrote: "It helps that my birthday falls right around the time his books are published in November :)"

Mine too Amanda but I find it to be a determent because I would get the book AND a birthday present if my birthday was in a different month. ;)

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Lonnie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "It helps that my birthday falls right around the time his books are published in November :)"

Mine too Amanda but I find it to be a determent because I would get the book AND a bi..."

Lol well my Dad or my brother Robbie usually get my the newest King novel and my bf Todd gets me something more unique like say this last year when he got me a stack of older comics :)

message 46: by Tom (new)

Tom Bensley (bensley56) Biggest book I ever read. Twice.

message 47: by Anne (new)

Anne (annalese) | 41 comments A great read, but that clown Pennywise I can still picture him in my mind, truly evil but good.

message 48: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashnphx) | 22 comments Strangly enough I remember having nightmares about a clown named Pennywise way before I had ever seen or heard of the movie and still havn't read the book b/c it freaked me out too much when I watched the movie the first time and remembered my nightmare. Creepy huh? Plus I hate clowns they are freaky.

message 49: by Anne (new)

Anne (annalese) | 41 comments The clown in your nightmare was called Pennywise how errie are you constantly waiting for him to pop-up sometime. The thing I don,t like about clowns is their smile, how evil was Pennywise but the smile was always there.

message 50: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments I just started listening to the Steven Weber audiobook and I was pleasantly surprised to find while he wouldn't have been my first choice narrator by a long shot, he's doing a really interesting job with it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9