100+ Books in 2022 discussion

2011 Lists > Mainon's Bookshelf Challenge: 100+ Books in 2011

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mainon (new)

Mainon (bravenewbooks) | 144 comments 1. Insatiable Tales from a Life of Delicious Excess by Gael Greene Insatiable: Tales from a Life of Delicious Excess

Basically, Gael Greene has had a lot of sex and eaten a lot of good food, not necessarily in that order.

message 2: by Mainon (new)

Mainon (bravenewbooks) | 144 comments 2. Mindless Eating Why We Eat More Than We Think by Brian Wansink Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think

Scientist from a food lab examines how and why we eat the way we do, and how to change our instinctual habits.

message 3: by Mainon (last edited Jan 22, 2011 08:27PM) (new)

Mainon (bravenewbooks) | 144 comments 3. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

Fun little murder mystery. Fast read.

message 4: by Mainon (last edited Jan 22, 2011 08:29PM) (new)

Mainon (bravenewbooks) | 144 comments 4. The Street Lawyer by John Grisham The Street Lawyer

Not my favorite Grisham novel. Started out okay, got fairly boring and predictable, because I think it was at its core it was really meant to be a giant guilt trip on society for not doing enough about homelessness.

message 5: by Mainon (new)

Mainon (bravenewbooks) | 144 comments 5. The Big Short Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine

So glad I read Liar's Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on Wall Street first, otherwise I don't think I would have had much of a grasp on what happened. He does a great job of making a super-opaque subject almost comprehensible, though.

message 6: by Mainon (new)

Mainon (bravenewbooks) | 144 comments 6. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Water for Elephants

LOVED this book, might be first five-star review of the year. Will even go see the movie despite the Twilight douche being in it.

message 7: by Mainon (new)

Mainon (bravenewbooks) | 144 comments 7. French Pressed (Coffeehouse Mystery, #6) by Cleo Coyle French Pressed

Another frothy little niche murder mystery.

message 8: by Mainon (new)

Mainon (bravenewbooks) | 144 comments 8. Tender at the Bone Growing Up at the Table by Ruth Reichl Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table

Another Ruth Reichl memoir. The beginning was jaw-droppingly fascinating, but it fizzled toward the end. For my money, Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise is her better book.

message 9: by Mainon (new)

Mainon (bravenewbooks) | 144 comments 9. The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc by Loraine Despres The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc

Southern belle-cum-housewife has a mid-life crisis and hooks up with her old high-school sweetheart. Mostly ho-hum, with one surprising twist midway through that saved it from being a horrendous bore.