Christian Romance Readers discussion

What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristy (last edited Jan 26, 2011 04:12PM) (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments Thought I would start a discussion since there are no discussions yet. I hope that is okay.

I am reading two books, Sarah's Garden by Kelly Long and True Valor by Dee Henderson.

I am into Sarah's Garden more than I am into True Valor.

message 2: by IslaRose (new)

IslaRose (terrorizeallhumans) Sorry 'bout that!!! I originally created this group, though I wasn't listed as the moderator for some stupid reason, and basicly completely forgot about it :( Thanks for starting a topic!!! Right now I am trying to get around to the Cape Fear series by Teri Blackstock. Has anyone read any of those??

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachel_billings) | 5 comments I have read Terri's Cape Fear series! It has been a of couple years since I read them, but I loved them! I've reread them a couple of times. I especially loved the storyline of Blair (I think that was her name?!) and Cade (again, ?). How are you liking them?

I'm a huge fan of Dee Henderson. Well, actually I only like her O'Malley series (including the prequel) and the Uncommon Heroes series. True Valor was actually one of my favorites! I have reread that one so many times I lost count. But, I have a soft spot for military/romances - and navy seals. :)

I just finished Jenny B. Jones' newest contemporary Save the Date. Very cute. It had me in stitches numerous times. :) My college courses just started up again, unfortunately that cuts into my "fun" reading time. I'm not sure what fiction I'll read next. Possibly "The Sweet By and By" - Rachel Hauck and Sara Evans.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachel_billings) | 5 comments Oops! Dee's book "True Devotion" is my favorite! Although I like True Valor too. =)

message 5: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments I am having a hard time getting into True Valor.

message 6: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments So I am reading Love on a Dime also. I finished Sarah's Garden.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachel_billings) | 5 comments Love on a Dime was pretty cute :)

message 8: by IslaRose (new)

IslaRose (terrorizeallhumans) cool :) From what little I got to read of the first one (I have this thing called A.R. where we have to read a certain number of books and take tests on them, and my number is reeeealy high and hard to reach, and unfourtunatley the Cape Fear series isn't on there :( so any extra curicular reading is temporarily post poned) I loved Blair's attitude and charisma :) She seemed just like a real country spice girl

message 9: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments Rachel wrote: "Love on a Dime was pretty cute :)"

I like it so far. I wish to read it a little faster, but I am at 53% and may finish it tomorrow if not today.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachel_billings) | 5 comments Yeah, there were slow moments. For that reason I haven't read the sequel yet. I work at a bookstore though, and my customers have been gobbling it up!

message 11: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments I finished "Love On a Dime." It had a good ending, I liked it.

message 12: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments I also finished Southern Belle's Special Gift by Marsha Hubler. It is 3rd book in the Keystone Stable Series. I am reading number 4 Summer Camp Adventure.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1 comments I have not read any of the books listed above. I will have to look into them at some point. I really enjoy anything by Tracie Peterson. Currently, I am reading Return from Karen Kingsbury's Redemption Series. I keep thinking it is amazing how much one family is going through...although, if I wrote a book about my family, it might look like we go through alot also. These books seem to show that God will not give us more than we can handle and there is always a way out from under it.

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Dutton I just joined this group, so I hope it is okay if I just jump in. I am currently reading Age Before Beauty by Virginia Smith. It is the second in the Sister to Sister series. I am really liking it. I love Dee Henderson's O'Malley series, though, it has been forever since I read them.

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Dutton I finished Age Before Beauty last night and immediately picked up 3rd Times the Charm. I am really enjoying this series. Very light and a little humorous. Kate, how is the Redemption series. My MIL told me I should read them, I just have been sidetracked so I haven't started them.

message 16: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments I am reading Dark Harvest by Karen Harper and Blue Ribbon Champ by Marsha Hubler

I am enjoying the Keystone Stable series. I'm on book 6 by Marsha Hubler and am enjoying what I read of Dark Harvest.

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Dutton I finished 3rd Times a Charm last night. I have decided to do a daily devotional so I am going to try to get caught up with that reading before I pick up another fiction book. Then I am not sure what I am going to pick up.

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Dutton Currently reading Heart of Stone: A Novel. The description sounds quite interesting and it is already drawing me in. Looks like housework is going to have to wait.

message 19: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments I got that one free on my kindle.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Dutton I did too. It was a decent read.

message 21: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments Got it free too but haven't read it.
Andrea wrote: "Currently reading Heart of Stone: A Novel. The description sounds quite interesting and it is already drawing me in. Looks like housework is going to have to wait."

message 22: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments I am currently reading "Plain Perfect" by Beth Wiseman

message 23: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments I am still reading Plain Perfect by Bethwiseman. I am also reading a Love inspired suspense book called LaughHouse of Secrets and a Heartsong Present book called A Time to Laugh by Kelly Eileen Hake.

message 24: by Terrie (new)

Terrie I just finished Intervention and Vicious Cycle by Terri Blackstock. I loved them both! I believe a third book is in the works. She is my new favorite author!

message 25: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments I finished Plain Perfect and am still reading House of Secrets and just started Love On Assignment on my mom's kindle. We traded back for today and will trade back again later probably.

message 26: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments I finished House of Secrets and am now reading and have been reading Shadows of Lancaster County.

message 28: by Terrie (new)

Terrie I recently read The Restoration Series by Terri Blackstock. It was fabulous! There are four books in the series. I couldn't wait to start each one. The characters are very relatable and you definitely see God working throughout the book.

message 29: by Terrie (new)

Terrie I also recently read A Time to Dance and A Time to Embrace by Karen Kingsbury. I was a little hesitant after reading Even Now/Ever After by her. I liked it (Even Now/Ever After) but it was emotionally draining. She tended to drag things out. Anyway, I loved A Time to Dance/A Time to Embrace. I loved how she intertwined God speaking to the characters throughout the story.

message 30: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments I finished shadows of Lancaster County last night.

message 31: by Brandy (new)

Brandy (wwwgoodreadscombrandy_brewer) | 1 comments I am reading Hearts Aglow by Tracie Peterson and The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen.

message 32: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments I am reading Secrets of Harmony Grove.

message 33: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments Since I had a hard time getting into Secrets of Harmony Grove, I have decided to try another book, but will go back to this one later. So I am reading And Baby Makes Five by Debra Clopton

message 34: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 31 comments My book is good so far. I really like it.

message 35: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) Just began the 2nd book in a trilogy by Kim Vogel Sawyer entitled "Beginnings" and I was hoping it'd be a continuation of the first in her installment, "Blessings" for this series. The fact that it doesn't or hasnt yet mentioned the main characters of the first book is a bit disappointing, but I'll keep reading.It began much slower than the 1st as well.

Has anyone read anything by Kim Vogel Sawyer?

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie Hart I recently finished Karen Kingsbury's 9/11 series (well, the first two books because I heard the third wasn't continuing from the first two) I enjoyed the books although I thought they were really predictible. Has anyone read these? What did you think? Does the third book stand on its own?

These are the first Karen Kingsbury I've read and she has so many I don't know what to read next. Any suggestions?

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Dutton Katie, what kind of books do you like? You might try Julia's Hope by Leisha Kelly. It is set during the Depression Era about a families struggle. It is the first in a series. They were a little preachy, but I did not mind it.

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie Hart Cool, thanks! I love the Depression and World War 2 era books. My favorite type of books are mysteries, and I like romance so long as they're not really mushy.

message 39: by Terrie (new)

Terrie A Time to Dance and A Time to Embrace are great by Karen Kingsbury!

message 40: by Melissa (last edited May 05, 2011 11:21AM) (new)

Melissa (princessmg) Katie, I've read all of Karen's book and they are all really good. The third in the 9/11 series does have the characters from the first two books but it probably could stand alone as well. The Time to Dance and Embrace books are great-Time to Dance was the first book of hers I read I think...The Redemption series she wrote with Gary Smalley are also incredible but beware there are 3 series of 4 or 5 books each that are about these characters (the Baxter family-The Redemption, Firstborn and Sunrise series) and two spin-off series (Above The Line and Bailey Flanigan as well..the Ever After and Even Now book set are also some of my favorites.

I'd also recommend Janice Hanna Thompson books to everyone. Her books are light and easy reads with LOTS of humor...my favorites are her Bridal Mayhem Mysteries series.

I'm currently reading Jersey Sweets-a novella by Janice Thompson and next on my list are several of the Love Finds You In series and Take Four, Unlocked and Leaving by Karen Kingsbury-I've been saving them!! =)

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (princessmg) Rachel wrote: "I have read Terri's Cape Fear series! It has been a of couple years since I read them, but I loved them! I've reread them a couple of times. I especially loved the storyline of Blair (I think th..."

If you like military reads try Ever After and Even Now by Karen Kingsbury...it's a two book set-the second one deals with a love story between a young lady and her military man...but read them both-they are quite good!!

message 42: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Dutton More Military reads are the Uncommon Heroes series by Dee Henderson starting with True Devotion. They were all 3 really good.

message 43: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) still reading "Beginnings"by Kim Vogel Sawyer....can't seem to get into it.

message 44: by Karina (new)

Karina Harris (karinabharris) | 3 comments I just finished "The Edge of Recall" by Kristin Heitzmann. It is the second I have read by her and I really enjoy her writing. I would categorize the two I've read as romantic suspense. Great mystery and gripping characters! Her characters have major issues and I find myself cheering them on as they move toward healing. She does a masterful job of incorporating the need for a loving Savior with a gentle hand, which I appreciate.

message 45: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Morgan | 2 comments I've just discovered Gail Gaymer Martin who lives in Michigan, as do I! So I'm excited to be catching up on her titles. Some of them are set in Michigan, which is enjoyable for those of us who live in the "mitten" state.

message 46: by Makay (new)

Makay  Mitze (simplymakay) One of my favorite Christian authors is Deeanne Gist. Her novels are absolutely adorable! Also, the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers is fabulous! Probably my favorite books of all time!

message 47: by Katie (new)

Katie Hart Makay wrote: "One of my favorite Christian authors is Deeanne Gist. Her novels are absolutely adorable! Also, the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers is fabulous! Probably my favorite books of all time!"

I love Deeanne Gist! I've read 5 of her books and so far my favorite is A Bride Most Begrudging. Her books are great!

message 48: by Lady Day (last edited May 26, 2011 10:22PM) (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) Reading Karen Kingsbury'sLeaving a Bailey Flanigan Series

message 49: by Lady Day (last edited May 29, 2011 03:41PM) (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) Makay wrote: "One of my favorite Christian authors is Deeanne Gist. Her novels are absolutely adorable! Also, the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers is fabulous! Probably my favorite books of all time!"

Hi Makay
I've never read Rivers "Mark of the Lion" series, but I found the "Her Mother's Hope" series to be mind-blowing when devouring it last year.How does the Mark of the Lion series compare?

message 50: by Makay (new)

Makay  Mitze (simplymakay) Lady Day wrote: "Makay wrote: "One of my favorite Christian authors is Deeanne Gist. Her novels are absolutely adorable! Also, the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers is fabulous! Probably my favorite books..."

I have not read "Her Mother's Hope" series yet but I could go on and on recommending "The Mark of the Lion" series. It's set in Rome after the sac of Jerusalem. The characters are unbelievably well drawn and the plot is paced perfectly. Definitely my favorite by Francine.

« previous 1