Goodreads Developers discussion

Friend review for a given book

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Is there an API to get a list of your friend's reviews for a given book?

The official iOS app shows a list of your friend's reviews on each book page, but I don't see any API for this data.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael The book/show api call will return a tag friend_reviews if any of the users friends have reviewed the book. It's not a specific call just for friend reviews, it'll be part of the overall book returned.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel When I call the book.show API, it does not return any friend reviews.

I've tried calling this API with and without OAuth (When calling using OAuth, I get no results at all). The API Documentation doesn't mention anything about OAuth with this call, but I've seen other calls that don't mention OAuth that support it.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael It definitely has to be with OAuth otherwise it won't know what friends to show it for (unless there is some other way to call it that I don't know about).

Not sure why it wouldn't work for you with OAuth, but I definitely get friend review results in my app. If I call it without OAuth then I just get book info, no friend reviews or my review.

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Did you request full access to reviews through support? That's the only difference I can think of...

Some developers were requesting extra permissions in this discussion:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Yes, I did but I was getting friend reviews before that. The full access just means you get more than 300 characters of the user's review.

Are you sure OAuth is working for you? You've got the user's token and all that? Most of the GET calls will work without OAuth, you just won't get user specific data. If OAuth is configured correctly you should be able to do a post and mod data.

message 7: by Daniel (last edited Jan 24, 2011 08:12AM) (new)

Daniel OAuth is working for me on other API calls. I use it for getting the authenticated user, listing reviews, showing reviews, events, friend updates, posting updates/reviews, and managing shelves.

message 8: by Ettore (new)

Ettore Pasquini Can you post some sample code of what you are doing for the call that doesn't work?

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel I found the problem. It was a (stupid) mistake on my part.

I was calling book.show without the .xml suffix:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50...
Instead of:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50...

For some reason the invalid URL was working without OAuth, so I never noticed.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Daniel wrote: "For some reason the invalid URL was working without OAuth, so I never noticed."

That was a poor implementation that we're now locked into due to backwards compatability. :(