Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

If you could own your own library....

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) If you could own your own library, what would it look like? How would you design it?, How big would it be? Would you make it modern or give it the old world feel?

I would make my library huge have many stories of book shelves. I would design it to have a mixture of modern and old world feel. When people check out books I would have a huge book where give the date they check out the book, the title etc. and i would make them write with a quill(feather pen).

message 2: by Patrick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Patrick This is a fun topic to consider! Where would your library be? Two of my favorite libraries here are really close to the ocean, but not actually overlooking it (that land's too valuable down here). I would love to situate a common reading room for a library on a bluff overlooking the Pacific with a huge glass window looking out othe water below - well lighted of course, with no desks in that area but simply comfortable chairs and couches. What a great reading environment that might be.

Probably couldn't get it past the California Coastal Commission, but it's OK to dream.

I hope whoever's working the quill for our library has good handwriting, as our collective quill skills are a bit rusty these days. We may want to back that up with a good database system, or it might be hard to get the books back! But I think the idea is neat.

message 3: by Patrick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Patrick Typical California question: what's the square foot of your house? and of your living room?

message 4: by Anome (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Anome | 2 comments I'd probably want it to look just like the reading room at the British Museum. One big, circular room. Several storeys high, and bookshelves (accessible by balconies) to the roof.

I'd probably deviate a bit from the design in the actual reading space. A mixture of antique desks and chairs, and wing backed armchairs. I'd also consider letting people drink tea in the reading room, but that might be a problem if the books got damaged. Otherwise, a tea room in the centre space where you can see all the books.

message 5: by Isaac (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Isaac | 2 comments for some reason the only thing that keeps popping into my head is the scene in beauty and the beast when the beast reveals the library to bell....damn walt disney....

message 6: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Rachel i want the library in "beauty and the beast", just add some cushy sofas and reading chairs. sorry you're not a disney fan, indi, but that library is GORGEOUS!

message 7: by J.R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

J.R. Randle (jrrandle) | 14 comments Wow… How do you follow the idea of a huge glass window overlooking the ocean? How wonderful would that be to experience?

I’d like to create a modern space with a more eclectic glam-boutique design. Offering many hues of deep crimsons and reds, bronze–gold’s, and clever greens to accentuate the walls. Artwork displayed from local artist, framed book covers, and black & white photos of talented novelist and poets.

Part of the library would have brick walls exposed with blends of African and maple woods fused together into high shelving storing literary works of all facets of the world. The ceilings would offer crystal chandeliers surrounded by recessed lighting adding a soft glow to the reader’s eye. Glass apothecary jars filled to the top in an assortment of unique bookmarks aligning the main desk in various shapes and sizes. Exotic hardwood flooring covered in rugs from diverse cultures. The floor plan would present an easy flow of vintage modern furniture and accessories, upholstery comfortable for library guest. Classic Jazz and Blues would play through out certain parts of the library while on an easy listening tone.

Located in the main reading hall (The Grande Hall) an atrium consisting of beautiful plants, earth stones, and a tranquil waterfall would be located in the center along side the atrium would be a tea stand for guest. As well as a high ceiling made of various colors of lead glass. The floor space would allow room for several tables and chairs for guest to read. I would also arrange for local authors, poets, and musical artist to read or perform in the center of the Grande Hall.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I was just daydreaming about my dream library this morning! I don't think I could describe my dream library in less than 20 pages, but now I'm thinking of stealing some ideas from JuLonda....
Lately I’ve been practical, I’m thinking of moving all my books into the spare bedroom in the quiet corner of the house. My bedroom can no longer contain the chaos. I thought I would buy a bunch of used bookcases and refinish them to match. Then make a few custom-sized ones so that the long wall of the room is covered floor to ceiling. Then I would finally restore this old retro couch I scored. It has a table attached! I would make it cozy and sturdy, throw some pillows and blankets in there and I'm done.

message 9: by pop (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

pop I don't think I would own an actual library, even though I love them. I might have a reading area or reading room, but I would not keep the books sitting on my shelves, except those few that I need to refer back to. The kind I read for pleasure I would put back into circulation by donating them to the actual library, giving them away or some such. Books need to be read, not sitting on shelves. Most fiction I never read the second time. I have a good memory, it's both a blessing and a curse. Makes re-reading mysteries quite boring. I do have one signed first edition by my favorite author, that, I will treasure forever, since he signed to to me when I got a chance to meet him.

message 10: by T.K. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

T.K. Kenyon | 15 comments In an old Victorian house, with lots of spiral staircases, nooks, crannies, hidden passages, tiny rooms with poufs and fireplaces, and floor-to-ceiling books, books, books!

TK Kenyon
Author of RABID: A Novel
who just maxed out her happy-fantasy credit card for the day

"impressive medical thriller"--PW

message 11: by Shawn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Shawn Hi T.K.

You stole my idea. We have lots of older houses in our town, from the 1880's - 1930's. Some of them are huge, with great architecture, large rooms, small rooms, ball rooms, nooks, stair landings, history, old wood, fireplaces (multiple fireplaces in some of them, etc.

I'd take one of these homes and convert it to a library. Different rooms could reflect different genres, or different time periods. Lots of chairs, sofas, some work tables, rugs, would be available. Fires going in the fireplace of course (in the winter).

The kitchen would remain a kitchen, and there may very well be only one member of the library staff -- a butler or maid who is happy to bring tea, coffee, and perhaps small treats to the library members.

-Shawn

message 12: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Barbara Has anyone seen this? Organizing books by color. I do to some extent.....there's the blue shelf and the aqua shelf and the white shelf....

http://www.craftzine.com/blog/archive...

message 13: by Patrick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Patrick I guess I could see people shelving by color, but my non-fiction loving soul craves the order of organization by subject matter. But I remember that, as a kid, seeing a nice shelf of blue Hardy Boys mysteries or Encyclopedia books all lined up was aesthetically pleasing.

Barbara, does your enjoyment of having books of similar color on your shelves trump the common book addict's desire to keep works by the same author grouped together?

message 14: by Patrick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Patrick LOL'd at the story from Ex Libris, Sherri. I had forgotten that story. I concur with the poetic justice sentiment. Too funny! I used to be particular about alpha order within non-fiction genre, but I'm way past that now.

message 15: by Armando (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Armando Alvarez | 9 comments It would be as big as a superwalmart and there would be a hotel and a deli and a cafe lol. there would be nice cozy couches to read on and chairs as well; it would be the perfect place for a book reader. you could check out a book then bring it back when your done then you could find a book group and discuss it. If your shy then you could go on the computers available and discuss it on there. (after i get to this part i usually wake up lol) =)

message 16: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Michael (michael_harmon) | 1 comments Barbara,

That is very cute and crafty indeed. I tend to just shove them according to how 'classic' I think they are, and then by country location of the author within that first distinction. What a decimal system that would create, I know.

Cheers. :)