Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Personal Reading Challenges > Wendy's 2011 reading list

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:04AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Okay, I've read two books in 2011 already.

#1 The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness *5 stars
#2 Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking Series #3) by Patrick Ness *5 stars

I think I've talked about these already. I'll just say, absolutely effing amazing. Must reads for everyone. (The first is The Knife of Never Letting Go)

message 2: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Hmmm, very interesting. I did read the summary of book one. Sounds like a very far cry from Ms. Blakes world! LOL! But if you say it's a must read I will definitely take it into consideration and put on my tbr list!
Your book reads are probably larger than mine. I'm almost done with my fifth book for the year. And you know what they are.

message 3: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Oh it is, lol. They're dystopian, almost Sci-Fi, but there is a wonderful love that develops over the course of the series and the end... man it was just perfect.

message 4: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:04AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) #3 - Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta *4 stars

Really good. I wrote a review, and I'm in love with Jacob Coote.

message 5: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:07AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) #4 - The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan *4 stars

message 6: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:07AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) #5 - Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning *3 stars

message 7: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Whatcha think of Darkfever Wendy? I just got my copy in the mail.

message 8: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I thought it was good.

I'm finding that first books in a series fall in one of two catagories. Either they're amazing, and they are the best in the series, like Outlander, or they're good but not as good as the later books. Dark Lover was like that, it was okay but the later BDB books were amazing. I think that's what Darkfever was like. It was good, but I wasn't blown away, but I have a feeling that the more books I read the more I'll like them.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Book 1 is just so-so. Book 2 is a little bit better. Book 3 starts to get addictive and by the end of it you're hooked/borderline obsessed. Book 4 is like crack.

message 10: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Thats what I figured. I had the same problem with I picked up BDB. I read the first and didn't get what all the hype was about. When I read Rhages I was caught.

Does Barrons and Mac kiss in Bloodfever? I'm the type of reader that needs those tidbits to keep me going. I tried flipping through it, but I didn't want any extra spoilers.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Hmmm...I don't remember. I can promise that there will be heat as the series goes on though, and it will be a huge payoff.

message 12: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Alright, that works for me. I'll start it tonight.

message 13: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Im starting these soon aswell~ Eek~ I got both in the mail.

message 14: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:07AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) #6- Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward *5 stars

message 15: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:08AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) #7 - Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning *3.5 stars

message 16: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:13AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Boy, I havne't updated in a while!! Okay... here goes.

#8 Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning *4 stars
#9 Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning *5 stars
#10 The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty *4 stars
#11 The Highlander's Touch by Karen Marie Moning *2 stars
#12 The Iron Queen (Iron Fey, #3) by Julie Kagawa *3 stars
#13 Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost *4 stars

message 17: by Leea (new)

Leea Wendy do you like the Iron Fey series?? Hope you are liking Bones :) Just saying his name puts a smile on my face...

message 18: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I'm loving Bones. I started the second one today. Bones is absolutely Dreamy.

The Iron Fey series is not even remotely close to my favorite. The first one and the second one were just okay. This one (the newest) was better then the other two, IMO. I continue to read the series for two reasons. First, once I start a series I feel compelled to see it through to the end. And second, I absolutely love Puck, AKA Robin Goodfellow. I'm not sure if you've read them, but they have alot of characters from the Shakespeare play A Midsummer Nights Dream, which is my favorite Shakespeare story. I love Puck, and he didn't let me down in this series. He's the best part.

message 19: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:13AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) #14 Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning *5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I read Iron King and have been unmotivated to go to Iron Daughter. I have heard great things about Iron Queen though, so maybe at some point...

message 21: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Iron Daughter was definitely better. I still only gave it 3 stars, I believe.

message 22: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) #15 Bloody Jack Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I would ask what you thought of Bloody Jack, but I saw your comment in the other group.

I really tried to get into it on audiobook and realize AB's are not for me, but the narrarator was pretty good.

message 24: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

what is AB?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) audiobook

message 26: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

ahhhh~ Gotcha... Thx.

message 27: by Leea (new)

Leea We need a post with all the AB, PNR, HR, HEA because i'm a total dork and don't know what half of them mean... HA!!

message 28: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Great Idea Leea~ We need a Good Reads Dictionary...

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Thought we had one in this group somewhere...

I made one in another group for all the PNR/UF terminology, but for this group it would be encompassing so much more.

message 30: by Wendy F (last edited Feb 11, 2011 10:53AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Yeah, I really hated Bloody Jack. I would put it in my 'terrible' list, but so many people loved it that I feel like I'm missing something.

I'm listening to Outlander on Audio right now, after that I'll think of giving Bloody Jack a shot on Audio. It'll help with the dialect, but I can't imagine it will help for my other issues with it.

message 31: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:19AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) It's interesting to go back and reread posts I wrote when I was sick. Most of them make no sense and they are completely jumbled. I've been going back today and fixing posts, lol. Fever + group threads = confusion.

#16 One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost *3 stars

message 32: by Leea (new)

Leea Oh Wendy sorry you were sick. Glad you are better... Even with a fever we can't stay off Goodreads :)

message 33: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) And miss talking to all my GR Friends, no way.

message 34: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:19AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) #17 Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins *5 stars

message 35: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Thoughts?

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (robnmich) | 7 comments I just ordered Dark Fever

Have you started it yet Shell?

message 37: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Im finished Darkfever and on the 3rd~ BLOODY AMAZING SERIES~ All the girls here on GR didn't lie~ Its a great series.

message 38: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Fever series is so flipping good!

I absolutely loved-loved-loved Anna and the French Kiss. So much so that I am ordering a physical copy for my bookshelf. I stayed up til 2:30am finishing it.

St. Clair was absolutely dreamy, and Anna was a fresh voice for a narrator. I have this problem where I'd say more then 60% of the time the female lead in a story will drive me insane. They're always sniveling self-centered characters "oh whoa is me, the world is falling apart and I'm worried about how it affects ME". I didn't think Anna was like that. There were times she'd do something and I'd cringe, but not because I didn't like her but because she reacted to some things realistically and at times blew things out of proportion. She also cried just a time or two too much for me.

I gave the book 5 stars though, and if you love a good sweet (not sweaty jungle sex, haha) romance, you'll like this one.

message 39: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 12, 2011 05:39PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I plan on reading that one. Everyone on my friends list who's read it absolutely loved it, even the pickier people.

message 40: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) It is really worth reading.

message 41: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Wendy F wrote: "Fever series is so flipping good!

I absolutely loved-loved-loved Anna and the French Kiss. So much so that I am ordering a physical copy for my bookshelf. I stayed up til 2:30am finishing it.
..."

I get the no 'sweaty jungle sex' and all~ But is there anything?? Not that that is crucial~ (Who am I kidding, its crucial) JK....

message 42: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) No, I mean, not really. Few heavy kissing and grinding once, lol. But it really is about the sweet side of falling in love. It's definitely not a carnal type of love story. It's an innocent sweet type of love story.

message 43: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Wendy F wrote: "No, I mean, not really. Few heavy kissing and grinding once, lol. But it really is about the sweet side of falling in love. It's definitely not a carnal type of love story. It's an innocent swe..."

Okay~ I can deal with that.. If Im warned ahead of time... Lol

message 44: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:20AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) 18. Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward *5 stars
19. Covet (The Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward *3 stars

message 45: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:21AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) 20. The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1) by Stacey Kade *4 stars

This was really enjoyable. Not a favorite, but light and quick with fun characters.

message 46: by Leea (new)

Leea Wendy how did you like Covet?

message 47: by Leea (new)

Leea Wendy i just read your review :) I'm a major dork!

message 48: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Haha, it's alright. I could put a link from my books to my review, but I think I'm private so only my friends see them anyway, haha.

message 49: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 16, 2011 07:21AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) 21. Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward *5 stars

What can I say about this series... oh that's right, I heart BDB! I love Butch!

message 50: by Leea (new)

Leea I love Butch too!!! Oh, i love all the BDB boys!!

« previous 1 3