Stephen King Fans discussion

Sometimes Dead Threads Come Back > Have never read any of the Dark Tower series

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 10 comments What are the books about? Are they horror or fantasy? Also, is there an introduction to them in any other books?

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hi Zombette, the series is more fantasy than horror, although there are elements of horror in them. It's a quest and epic battle of good vs evil.

Many of King's books tie into the Dark Tower series in some way, but as far as an introduction? Not really.

message 3: by Jeremy (last edited Jan 11, 2011 07:05AM) (new)

Jeremy | 13 comments Well. The simplest explanation is probably this.

The DT books are (in my mind) Western/fantasy. They center around one man's (The Gunslinger's) struggle to save a dying world. If you've read *nearly* any other King novel, you've been introduced to the world of the Dark Tower, you just don't know it yet.

As to "introductions" formally....

The Talisman and Black House, written in conjunction with Peter Straub, could serve as introductions, since they take place prior to or at the same time as DT. The characters are different, but the world is the same. Consider it a parallel plot - not vital to the series, but an interesting sidestory.

There is a series of Dark Tower graphic novels which delve into the backstory of our hero, but honestly, I'd wait until at least after the fourth book to jump into that. They seem to fit better there, in my opinion. However, they aren't necessary reading, but give wonderful insights into the characters you'll have come to love/hate.

Many (most) of King's books relate to the Tower in some way. I'd give you a list, but really, it'd be long. Whenever I pick up a new SK book, I read it carefully, trying to find a glimpse into the world of the Tower.

The mastery of Stephen King is that, while scaring the pants off of us, he also constructed an elaborate universe that persists throughout his work. If you are like me, when it all comes together, when the ride is over, you'll know it was the only way to end it.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) I was not keen on reading the series either but once I started I had to hang around for 20 odd years for the rest of the series to be finally written! It was the most amazing epic I had ever read and the wait was well worth it!

I loved the way that other books dipped into the series too. I have never read such a great fantasy epic like it before or since although I did enjoy Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series and his new book The Law of Nines looks like it will dip into the SoT series too.

Sandysconnected | 13 comments This was good information. I haven't read the Dark Tower series either, but I've heard good things. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but now I'm intrigued.

message 6: by DJ (new)

DJ | 18 comments Lynne - Have you read Law of Nines yet? I have. I can tell you that it does dip into some part of SoT. However, I've only read up to Blood of the Fold. I'm sure that Law of the Nines includes some information that was provided during the last few books of SoT.

I stopped SoT because I felt like it was just getting too much, but Wizard's First Rule is my favorite book of all time hands down. It started my enjoyment of fantasy and long stories.

Sorry for being off topic, but had to reply to Sword of Truth!

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments The problem with the Sword of Truth is that the first 11 books were good, but then the T.V. series came and kill it. Then he went passed the 11 books, which I think one does not do. Terry needs to be done with those characters and write something else like most other authors do.

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Please don't take over this thread with off-topic discussion. If you would like to further discuss the Sword of Truth series, or any other author's work, please take it to either "The Random" or "Other Books (Non King)" folders. Thanks. :)

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments Becky wrote: "Please don't take over this thread with off-topic discussion. If you would like to further discuss the Sword of Truth series, or any other author's work, please take it to either "The Random" or "O..."

I'm not trying to be mean, but I think two does not count as off-topic. I would say more than three would be.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Kevin wrote: "I'm not trying to be mean, but I think two does not count as off-topic. I would say more than three would be. "

You'll notice I said "don't take over the thread" and "if you'd like to further discuss", meaning if you choose to continue the discussion of SoT or anything else, it should be done in a more appropriate place than this thread.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments Becky wrote: "Kevin wrote: "I'm not trying to be mean, but I think two does not count as off-topic. I would say more than three would be. "

You'll notice I said "don't take over the thread" and "if you'd like t..."

I know that, you don't have to tell us that, it was only two.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Kevin, this isn't actually up for debate... I have no problem with getting off topic, but if it looks like it might turn into an off-topic DISCUSSION, it needs to be taken to an appropriate thread.

message 13: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Becky, this is one of the times I most definitely do NOT envy your being co-mod. Why do some people simply choose to ignore that this is the STEPHEN KING group?

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments Hey, I am not one who started.

message 15: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1117 comments Mod
Kevin. You must hate holiday weekends. It's like a weird evil backwood Cinderella story. When a holiday weekend creeps up and turns him into an argumentative little Chucky doll.

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Kevin, we're not going to play the "argue with every post" game here. I see you doing that in other groups, and I won't put up with it here.

If you don't like the way that the moderators run the group, you can leave. If you keep arguing and acting petulant, I'll make the decision for you. Or you can participate in the discussions like a mature adult.

The choice is yours.

message 17: by Kevin (last edited Jan 16, 2011 03:44PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments Whatever!
Oh yeah, one other thing, Jim Butcher said that on his tour last year that he read the Dark Tower series, and did not find them to be that great of a series.

message 18: by Kevin (last edited Jan 16, 2011 03:45PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments One more, I think you can't ignore them if you are reading Stephen King, but as he has pointed out before about half of his readers has not read any of them before. Everything he does comes back to it. How do you think the next book in the Dark Tower is going to be? The one that is between book four and five.

message 19: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1117 comments Mod
Kevin wrote: "Whatever!
Oh yeah, one other thing, Jim Butcher said that on tour with Changes that he read the Dark Tower, and did not find them to be that great of a series."

Well, I'll just knock Butcher down a few pegs on my TBR then.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Kevin wrote: "Whatever!
Oh yeah, one other thing, Jim Butcher said that on his tour last year that he read the Dark Tower series, and did not find them to be that great of a series."

I've never read anything of Butcher's, so his opinion doesn't mean diddly squat to me, as my dad would say. I have read the Dark Tower series, several times, and I love it. I've read almost everything that King has ever written, and I love the majority of that too.

I suggest people read it for themselves and determine if they like it on their own.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments Becky wrote: "Kevin wrote: "Whatever!
Oh yeah, one other thing, Jim Butcher said that on his tour last year that he read the Dark Tower series, and did not find them to be that great of a series."

I've never re..."

Good point.

message 22: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 10 comments Oh noes!!

message 23: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Jan 17, 2011 05:38AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Sandysconnected wrote: "This was good information. I haven't read the Dark Tower series either, but I've heard good things. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but now I'm intrigued."

I have read Law of Nines and loved it, I hope we get more of the same from Terry Goodkind. Could do with a new series to get my teeth into!

message 24: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Lynne, if you're looking for a good series, for pity's sakes -- Read the Dark Tower series!!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Bondama wrote: "Lynne, if you're looking for a good series, for pity's sakes -- Read the Dark Tower series!!"

I have read the Darktower series ages ago. I waited 20 odd year for SK to actually finish the series! See message number 4. I have read all SK's books as they came out.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments Lynne wrote: "Bondama wrote: "Lynne, if you're looking for a good series, for pity's sakes -- Read the Dark Tower series!!"

I have read the Darktower series ages ago. I waited 20 odd year for SK to actually f..."

I guess people does not like that you did not stay on topic. It was fine with me.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Becky wrote: "Kevin, we're not going to play the "argue with every post" game here. I see you doing that in other groups, and I won't put up with it here.

If you don't like the way that the moderators run the ..."

I'm gone, I think its a bit too petty to argue on a short off topic which was still linked albeit only slightly.

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) 1) As I have already stated, I don't mind getting off topic occasionally, but if it appears that a full off topic discussion is about to take place, I will post a reminder to move the discussion to a more appropriate place.

2) Bondama said nothing about whether Lynne was off topic or not. Lynne said in her post "Could do with a new series to get my teeth into!" and Bondama, who probably didn't see the Lynne's comment that she had already read it, recommended the DT series.

If you all want to talk about the Sword of Truth, or any other non-King books, series, whatever, be my guest. You can post all of that in this folder: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

This thread is for discussion of recommendations pertaining to The Dark Tower series. Let's please try to stay on topic.

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Lynne wrote: "I'm gone, I think its a bit too petty to argue on a short off topic which was still linked albeit only slightly. "

You're right, it IS petty to argue over it. I was not calling down blame or castigating anyone for going off topic, I was simply reminding everyone not to take over the thread with off-topic posts.

Kevin chose to argue and make it into something much bigger than it was.

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments Lynne wrote: "Becky wrote: "Kevin, we're not going to play the "argue with every post" game here. I see you doing that in other groups, and I won't put up with it here.

If you don't like the way that the mod..."

You make a good point there.

message 31: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Sorry, Lynne - I was going by the "Have Never Read the Dark Tower Series" title for this thread...

message 32: by Joe (new)

Joe Golden | 49 comments Has anyone read Under the Dome and is it worth the thousand plus pages?

message 33: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Joe wrote: "Has anyone read Under the Dome and is it worth the thousand plus pages?"

Yes, yes it is :)

message 34: by Dustin (last edited Jan 21, 2011 11:35AM) (new)

Dustin Joe wrote: "Has anyone read Under the Dome and is it worth the thousand plus pages?"

Oh, yes! (to both questions, Joe.)

message 35: by Joe (new)

Joe Golden | 49 comments Thanks guys

message 36: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hey, no problem!