Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Alex Khype - 2011

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Jan 22, 2011 04:47PM) (new)

Alex So, this is my year. This year I'm definitely going to make it. And I begin with the right foot.

1. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
What a great book. Although I bought this book ages ago, I only got the determination to read it this year. Wonderful! Although there are a few things that are not longer appliable, in general I can say that this is a guide on living in society. I will read it again soon.

Rating: 4.5/5

message 2: by Alex (last edited Jan 22, 2011 04:48PM) (new)

Alex 2. Little Birds by Anaïs Nin Little Birds by Anaïs Nin
Pretty good. I really enjoyed it.

Rating: 3.5/5

message 3: by Alex (last edited Jan 22, 2011 04:48PM) (new)

Alex 3. Nervous Conditions and Related Readings (Literature Connections Source Book, High School Level) by Tsitsi Dangarembga Nervous Conditions and Related Readings by Tsitsi Dangarembga
Incredible. I was a little bit reluctant about this one, but once I started I couldn't put it down.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex 4. Freud Inventor of the Modern Mind (Eminent Lives) by Peter D. Kramer Freud: Inventor of the Modern Mind by Peter D. Kramer
A very interesting biography. Kramer gives a thorough account of Freud's life and work. And,what is more interesting, he critically assesses Freud's works, highlighting their shortcomings and contributions.

Rating: 4/5

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex 5. In the Freud Archives (New York Review Books Classics) by Janet Malcolm In the Freud Archives by Janet Malcolm
Well, not my favorite. A lot of scandal regarding the Freud Archives.

Rating: 3/5

message 6: by Alex (last edited Mar 17, 2011 08:17PM) (new)

Alex 6. Villette  by Charlotte Brontë Villette by Charlotte Brontë
Incredible.

message 7: by Alex (last edited Apr 02, 2011 07:47AM) (new)

Alex 7. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex 8. Tess of the D'Urbervilles  by Thomas Hardy Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

Very bleak. Unfortunately, I found the last part rather melodramatic and implausible.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex 9. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

Totally hated it.

Rating: 2/5

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex 10. Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger

message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaglenn) | 594 comments Alex wrote: "9. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

Totally hated it.

Rating: 2/5"

Mansfield Park is my least favorite of Jane Austen's. It was very slow and the characters were not as interesting as her other works. My favorites are Persuasion and Emma.

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex Yes, it is quite unfortunate. And I never knew if she was joking or really enforcing the strict (and rather lame) social conventions. I think I'm going to give Ms. Austen a rest for a while.

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex 11. All the Good People I've Left Behind by Joyce Carol Oates All the Good People I've Left Behind by Joyce Carol Oates

Very depressing book.

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex 12. Miss Lonelyhearts by Nathanael West Miss Lonelyhearts by Nathanael West

Wow. Extraordinary grim satire.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex 13. The Beggar's Opera by John Gay The Beggar's Opera by John Gay

Lovely satire. Heard it with music too.