Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Mud Flat by James Stevenson

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 362 comments Apparently there are at least 1/2 dz books set in the same community. I'd guess that it would help, but not be necessary, to read them in publication order. I read Heat Wave at Mud Flat and I did feel as if I was coming in at the middle of things.

So, please collect these books into a series. Thanks!

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I've rounded them up -- does this look good?

http://www.goodreads.com/series/55383...

message 3: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Looks nice.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 362 comments you even found 'yard sale' - thank you - you didn't number them in order, but simply giving readers a chance to see that there are bunch of them adds clarity - appreciate it!

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Are they numbered? I couldn't find a source for any numbering, so I just put them in publication order as far as I could find it. If you've got numbers for these, I'd be happy to add them!

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 362 comments Um, well, I'm obviously not qualified to be a librarian, cuz I'm confused - I thought you would just number the one that was published first, "#1" and the one that was published second "#2" and so on.... I personally think that would be even more helpful to general readers like me - but if that's trouble or something y'all don't like to do with series, it's totally cool either way!

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments There are a lot of series which don't have any particular reading order, but if they are numbered then many people assume that they do. Then they don't read book #4 if they haven't read book #3, even if nothing in book #4 depends on book #3. (I don't like reading series out of order myself -- too much experience with the sort of series where there's only one big plot for the whole thing and you can't miss any of it!) Generally, if the author hasn't numbered them and the people who have read the book haven't numbered them in a fansite, we don't number them here on GR either. (For example, the Hellboy novels are about the same characters but they aren't related to any of the other books, so I ordered them alphabetically by authors and didn't number them.)

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 362 comments Fair enough. I think reading the first Mud Flat book first might be a tiny bit helpful, but since you make a great point about people who are concerned about the integrity of series, I agree that these should be left un-numbered. Thank you very much for explaining!