Jane Austen discussion

Newbie Corner > Where do you call home?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 257 (257 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Shea (new)

Shea | 117 comments So many of you speak of shows on the BBC I began to wonder if most of the group is British. I live in Manchester, but the small town in Southeastern Michigan U.S.A. not the one in the UK.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 7 comments I call home Eugene, Oregon.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan Great idea Shea!

I live in The Woodlands, just north of Houston, Texas U.S.A. (by way of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Germany, Minnesota again, and Kentucky).

As long as there is PBS and BBC America, we on this side of the pond can indulge in our BBC habit!

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Stewart (fannyprice) | 2 comments I live in Upstate, New York in a lovely village called, Avon.

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 13 comments I live in Laramie, Wyoming, a small college town.

message 6: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum I live in Homedale, Idaho, with side trips to Idaho City, Idaho. The first is a small town in the middle of, yes, potato fields and corn and orchards, and right across the alfalfa fields which border our back yard is the Snake River. The second is a beautiful tiny mountain town (known as the Gold Mining Town That Wouldn't Die) on the road to basically nowhere!

Samantha McNulty I live in a small town, close to the Lake District in England!

message 8: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Oh, I forgot to mention... vineyards! The Snake River Valley is quasi-famous for its wines.

message 9: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) I am currently residing in Melbourne Australia.

message 10: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Australian wines are lovely, too! (And easier to find)

message 11: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Central Illinois in Abraham Lincoln country, but am originally from the south ... western Louisiana.

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber (chaigrl) | 9 comments I'm in Plymouth, Michigan. It's pretty much between Detroit & Ann Arbor and has a very cute little downtown!

message 13: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Amber & Shea, my daughter just moved to St. Louis, Michigan, this summer, and I had never been to MI before. Lovely state, so wooded and... flat (!); very different from Idaho and the West!
How fun this topic is; I love seeing where everyone is. (Thanks to Shea?)

message 14: by Missy (new)

Missy | 14 comments I am from Monroeville, Pennsylvania, which is just outside Pittsburgh.

message 15: by michelle (new)

michelle nguyen (sweetlacecharm) I reside from Irvine, California.

message 16: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
I'm a Midwesterner--tiny Clarksville, Ohio in the good old U. S. of A.!

message 17: by Laura (last edited Jan 07, 2011 11:48AM) (new)

Laura | 14 comments I'm from the Canadian Prairies -- Regina, Saskatchewan.

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane (rock89) | 3 comments I am from Kittanning, Pennsylvania, which is outside of Pittsburgh.

message 19: by Shea (new)

Shea | 117 comments Amber wrote: "I'm in Plymouth, Michigan. It's pretty much between Detroit & Ann Arbor and has a very cute little downtown!"

Amber, we're neighbors. I am only 20 minutes West of Ann Arbor.
Karlyne, I am glad you enjoyed our state. It really is beautiful (and not nearly as flat as Ohio-no offense Rachel).

message 20: by juliegoonie (new)

juliegoonie I reside in Huntington, Indiana!

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim | 181 comments I live in Hamden, Connecticut!

message 22: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I live on Oahu in Hawaii.

message 23: by Robin (last edited Jan 08, 2011 10:02AM) (new)

Robin (robin1129) | 306 comments Like Martha, I live in Central Illinois. Hillsboro, to be exact; halfway between Springfield, IL and St. Louis, MO -- but smack in the middle of farm country!

message 24: by Vavarra (new)

Vavarra | 10 comments Home at the moment is Kingston in upstate NY. But I do flit between NYC/Queens and upstate with the occasional detour to my hometown in Jamaica (West Indies).

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) I'm a different Kim and I live in Sydney, Australia. (But I'm currently on holidays in New York City for a couple of weeks!)

Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (safeandsound) I live in Kansas, and no, I do not live on a farm, I do not live in the country, and there aren't tornadoes every other day. And I have never seen the Great Wizard of Oz. That movie really screwed up Kansas's reputation...

message 27: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I know, Eitak, and it was shown as all black and white in the movie, and I am sure Kansas is a fine metropolitan city. They make Hawaii sound like maidens in grass skirts and we live in huts, but once you come here you will not see that.

message 28: by Robin (new)

Robin (robin1129) | 306 comments Oh no Robin - everyone knows Oahu has a tall, hunky guy cruising the roads in a red Ferrari! :)

message 29: by Penelope (new)

Penelope (pennyrguez) | 6 comments I call home Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorioz) I grew up in Canada (I'm Canadian) but I have been living in Turkey for the past nine years, although I am currently living in Belgium... Home is wherever my husband, daughter and I are...

message 31: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Robin, that was Thomas Magnum. He has since moved on to bigger and better things. LOL

message 32: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Ah, but he'll always be in our hearts as a 30-something tall, dark hunk driving a high-powered car along the streets of romantic Hawaii...

message 33: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I know. . .sigh.

message 34: by Wendie (new)

Wendie (cloverly) | 2 comments I'm from Los Angeles, California.
It seems people from all over love Austen(as it should be).

message 35: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Robin wrote: "Like Martha, I live in Central Illinois. Hillsboro, to be exact; halfway between Springfield, IL and St. Louis, MO -- but smack in the middle of farm country!"

Hey there, Robin! We're pretty close. I live in Stonington & work in Assumption. Gotta love the small towns!!

message 36: by Anuja (new)

Anuja | 8 comments i think most of us call home wherever the family is and or even if we're alone it preferrably is a place where you can chill out and relax,put up your feet without caring how you look or how the magazines are strewn on your table.it is place where you can be what you are with no tension about anything.

message 37: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne (ivonnewrites) | 9 comments I call home Bogotá, Colombia.

message 38: by Kim (new)

Kim | 181 comments Here here Anuja! Well put!

message 39: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephw88) I live in Munich, Germany.

message 40: by Edda (new)

Edda (haruni) | 1 comments I have two "homes" I both call my parents place home - that is Húsavík, Iceland but I also call the place where I live home and that is Copenhagen, Denmark

message 41: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Such exotic places! Isn't it fun to know that despite our dissimilar backgrounds we all love the English wit and homey backgrounds of Jane's novels?

message 42: by Mansee (new)

Mansee I am from India

message 43: by Jamila (new)

Jamila (jamzsquared) | 1 comments I'm currently living in Santa Barbara, CA, but am originally from the San Francisco Bay Area. I am incredibly thankful for Netflix, BBC America, and PBS for allowing me to indulge in my obsession with period dramas, especially the wonderful adaptations of Austen's novels.

message 44: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) jamz wrote: "I'm currently living in Santa Barbara, CA, but am originally from the San Francisco Bay Area. I am incredibly thankful for Netflix, BBC America, and PBS for allowing me to indulge in my obsession ..."

Hear, Hear!!

message 45: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 25 comments Metro Detroit :)

message 46: by Micki (new)

Micki (inxstr31) | 6 comments Live on the outskirts of Philadelphia, PA and I don't think there is one person at work that realizes how much of a Jane Austen freak I am:)

message 47: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum That's funny, Micki! I interviewed once for a job (that I got) where the manager asked who my favorite author was, & I enthused, "Jane Austen!". I was so sure that he just had to be a reader, too, but later I realized that it was merely a stock interviewing question. Sad, very sad. Oh, and no one else at work ever knew I was a Jane Austen freak, either. And I really never liked that job much....

message 48: by Carol (new)

Carol (cadoc) I live in a little town in South Jersey called Shiloh.

message 49: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (incaseofvertigo) Dublin, Ireland. Though I'm originally from The Netherlands.

message 50: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6 comments Holland! :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6