The Velvet discussion

Jan 2011 - TOTGA > pre-read discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Ross (calebjross) | 73 comments Mod
Post your pre-read thoughts on The Ones That Got Away by Stephen Graham Jones, here.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Deal | 13 comments I was lucky enough to do a proof-read of this collection. Quite a good bit of the stories I'd read before. The first, Father, Son, Holy Rabbit was just as devastating as the version published in Cemetery Dance. I sought out a copy of New Genre 6 when Lonegan's Luck came out. Wolf Island, though streamlined a little bit in the collection, was as wonderful a werewolf story as any I'd read. I couldn't help but fall in love with many of the stories I hadn't gotten too, such as Captain's Lament absolutely perfect twist on a certain urban legend, and The Meat Tree, which is possibly the most dense and personal story contained here. Really, I haven't done much participation in the discussions, but I loved my initial, fevered read of this collection, so I'm sure I'll be chiming in a bit here. I guess you could say I fall easy for Stephen's style, how things are so simple on the surface level but can fall into the sublime.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Thomas (richardthomas) Ditto all of that, Deal.

message 4: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Ross (calebjross) | 73 comments Mod
I'm still waiting on my copy. Of course, I haven't ordered it yet, so that could be why it hasn't arrived yet.

message 5: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (gordonhighland) | 9 comments Right. Would love to participate, but it'll be a while before I get around to this one, having just read two of his books back-to-back and trying to diversify.