College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > The Secret Garden -- For Those Reading Through

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Use this thread if you are reading through the book and you want to talk about it. For example, if you are anything like me, if something crazy happens in a book I always want to talk about it right after it happens! It's also nice to discuss with others who are reading through it. Please make sure at the top of every thing you post you have a SPOILER warning and say up to what page you are on.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I love the movie so I'm going to try to read the book this month. I actually didn't know it was a book until recently.

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (aurawn) | 44 comments I'm pretty excited for this! I've seen the movie a million times (it was one of my childhood favorites!) but I've never read the book. I'm 10% in on my Kindle right now and really enjoying it!

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I always liked the movie when I was a kid (I watched it for the first time in like 10 years a few weeks ago). I've read the book several times too. The broadway musical version of it is fantastic!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (thatlibrarianlady) I'm listening to the audiobook version. It's read by Josephine Bailey (she narrated the Gemma Doyle trilogy, if you've read that) and I love her voice.

message 6: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments I am about 50 pages in and not much has happened yet. I hope things pick up soon.

I've never seen the movie so I don't know much about the story. For some reason I always thought that the garden was supposed to be sort of magical (something along the lines of talking animals and glowing, shimmering flowers-lol). I'm not sure where I got that idea but that had always been the image that came to my head when the book was mentioned. I'm really not sure what to expect now. :)

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) I read this book when I was younger and the only thing that I remember about it is loving it. I'm about halfway through right now and kind of in the same boat as Kayla - I feel like nothing much as happened. We'll see if I love it as much this time around as I did the first time.

What do people think about Mary's character? This is definitely not your normal protagonist - I don't know if I've ever heard so much negative things about a main character - especially not one that was a child!

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris | 93 comments I've read this book before, last year I think, so I kinda of just skimmed through it again for this. But, one of the things that did stand out to me was how it all comes together towards the end. It does take a while to get started because it comes from that era where books dragged on a bit more than we're used to now. But KEEP ON, LADIES!!!! I promise you that the story picks up and gets more interesting once you get through the initial intro material.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) Haha, thanks for the encouragement, Chris! I'm getting near the end and am definitely feeling better about it!

message 10: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I remember LOVING this story when I was little, and I feel I remember a good part of it but really don't know. I plan on rereading this month. Hopefully I can make it happen. I have never seen a movie of it though. Might have to check those out.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) I've never seen the movie either, Tami! I might have to look it up. I think this might be an excuse to get a NetFlix subscription :-)

How is everyone liking the book as they move through it? What do people think about how the characters are developing? I think it's safe to say that the plot depends on how the characters interact with each other - what do you like most or least about these interactions?

message 12: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Okay, downloaded to my computer at work, reading bits and pieces here and there to get my brain back to normal. So far about chapter 5 or so, and it is pretty much how I remembered it. Yay, my memory does work sometimes.

message 13: by Trai (new)

Trai | 30 comments I'm reading this right now for my Young Adult Lit class! I'm not far into it at all yet, but not having known much about it, I really wasn't expecting the first chapter to be all, "And then everyone DIED!", haha. I'm curious to see where it goes; like Ashley said, I'm surprised to see there be so many negatives in-text about Mary!

message 14: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I am almost done. About 30 pages left. Almost exactly what I remembered.