Books on the Nightstand discussion

+11 in '11 Reading Challenge > +11 in '11 Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 182 (182 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
As recently announced on the blog, I have created a reading challenge for 2011, as a way to up my number of books read. I'd love for folks to join me if you're up to it!

Basically, commit to read 11 more books in 2011 than you did in 2010. For me, that means getting my number from 50 to 61.

Check out the post for more information and track your progress here in this discussion folder.

Onwards and upwards!

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
That would be tough, since I read 72 books in 2010, which was probably a record for me.

I suppose if I counted every time I finished a story arc in a monthly comic book, since they're always later released as trade paperbacks...hmmm.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 31, 2010 12:21PM) (new)

I have read 128 books this year -- I'd like to think I can read 11 more in 2011. G*d knows there are enough on my to-read shelf right now to cover me through 2011 and well into 2012....

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 65 comments OK, so I'll be reading 81 books in 2011.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2843 comments Mod
Ach! I've read 108 books so far this year - thanks to my earlier in the year time as the receptionist-with-nothing-to-recept for the Census (45 books in the first 2 months!). I'm going to try. I can always take the high school boy's tactic - look for the thinnest books (I don't know how many students I saw do this over the years.)

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cabs) | 2 comments Fortunately for me, I've had a relatively poor reading year (55 books) so 66 should be (fingers crossed) doable.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 66 comments I can do this. Since I read 40 this year; which for me is a record low; I feel confident that reading 51 in 2011 is a great goal to aim for.

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracemick) | 217 comments I'm in! I read 50 books in 2010 and would like to increase the number. 11 more is very doable.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Yay! so many participants so far! Spread the word!

message 10: by Shinke (new)

Shinke I'll give it a shot, 32 books in 2010 so 43 in 2011. :)

message 11: by Rita (new)

Rita | 147 comments I'm definitely in. I read 48 (don't feel bad Michael) in 2010 and so it's up to 59 for me in 2011.

message 12: by Deb (new)

Deb (djzbaker) | 16 comments Count me in. I read 52 in 2010. My library needs all the support I can give it!

message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnmozz) | 1 comments I'm in. I read 29 books last year. Add in 11 more. My goal will be 40 books in 2011. My first book for 2011 is for a book group "The Girl Who Chased the Moon".

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (manchesterunited) | 56 comments I am in. I read 126 books last year. My goal is to read 11 classics from Beowulf on the Beach What to Love and What to Skip in Literature's 50 Greatest Hits by Jack Murnighan on top of what I read this year. Great challenge idea Michael!

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 12 comments I had a personal challenge of reading 100 books in 2010. I read 102 some of them were thin books e.g Charlottes Web ( a read aloud to my daughter) but I also read some doorstoppers like Under the Dome, The Passage, Shantaram, Matterhorn and Wolf Hall. So I think 113 books might be doable. I would hope that some of those predicted 113 books would be from my tbr shelves-and-drawer.

message 16: by Lil (new)

Lil | 216 comments This is a great idea! Too bad for me that I have no idea how many books I read in 2010. I did a generally poor job of posting to this site or my Goodreads list. Hopefully, when the fog of newborn induced sleep deprivation lifts, I'll be able to recall some of the books read and maybe even some of the contents!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

OK, I'll play! In 2010, read or listened to 92 titles, so for 2011, that would mean 103 books. That's very well within the range of what I can cover... (now switching over to the "+11 in '11" reading plan thread...)

message 18: by Kate (last edited Jan 01, 2011 09:15AM) (new)

Kate | 269 comments I think I'm in. I finished 51 books in 2010 (I don't remember what I was reading on New Year's eve last year), and am in the middle of 2 which will count for 2011. For the challenge I need to read 51 plus the 2 I am reading now and then 11 more for a total of 64. I was shocked that I read 51 last year as I really thought I had read around 40. I don't post everything to Goodreads as some of my choices are mysteries which are my own guilty pleasure, but not books I rate or admit to reading. I do keep a handwritten list of every book I finish, mostly so I don't reread something that was less than memorable.

message 19: by Jessy (new)

Jessy (jessycfischer) | 25 comments I am in. Didn't do too well in 2010 with only 34 so 45 shouldn't be too hard. Just started one this morning and planning on doing the War and Peace challenge as well.

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I'm in too. Great idea. I read 38 last year so I'm going for 49. May try to make it to 50. My trouble is I start loads of books and don't finish them. I'm going to try and read more in general as it ensures I relax.

message 21: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 2 comments I am in! I will have to take count of last years but I can guess to need to read around 50! I also am going to keep record of all reads this year, even the guilt pleasures :)

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 99 comments Happy New Year! I have been enjoying the BOTNS podcasts for a year and a half and this is my first post. Thank you Anne and Michael for such wonderful book recommendations! This year I read 74 books (first time I actually kept a running count on Goodreads). I'd like to participate in your 2011 Reading Challenge! My target number will be 85 and I'll be beginning with a favorite of Anne's "The Invisible Bridge" by Julie Orringer.

message 23: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) | 178 comments In 2010 I read 75 books, so 86 would really be pushing it for me. In fact I was thinking that maybe in 2011 I should decrease the amount of books since I've found that the faster I read, the less I retain and remember. So my goal will be to read no more than 75 books but 11 of them will be books published in 2011 (recommended by Ann and Michael of course).

message 24: by Maria (new)

Maria I read 55 books in 2010 so I'm planning on 66 in 2011, the extra 11 being books I already own and haven't read.

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (manchesterunited) | 56 comments Kate wrote: "I think I'm in. I finished 51 books in 2010 (I don't remember what I was reading on New Year's eve last year), and am in the middle of 2 which will count for 2011. For the challenge I need to read..."
Kate, don't be embarrassed to read mysteries...they are the best books!

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 48 comments I like the challenge. I'll need to read 62 books this year. I'm going to start with the ones on my TBR list since I feel like it just grows and grows without me making a dent!

message 27: by Helen (new)

Helen | 25 comments Happy New Year, Michael/Ann and everyone! Count me in also.. I read 68 books last year (finishing up Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" by Helen Simonson). I will add 11 bio's to that number coming up with 79. I do keep a written notebook of what I read every month and what our book groups read.. Hay it is what you do when your old.. Enjoy your reading to meet your goals. Also for all those going to Man

message 28: by Helen (new)

Helen | 25 comments Opps..hit the button too soon. Also for all those going to Manchester in April..See you There!

message 29: by Pam (new)

Pam | 19 comments I'm not very good about remembering to post books I've read on Goodreads. According to my list, I read 37 books. I know I read a lot more than that, but if we're going by this list, then I'll read 48 books in 2011.

message 30: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments If I take the number of books from May (when I joined GR and started keeping track of my books) and extrapolate out for the year, I read 55 books in 2010. I will aim for 66 in 2011, we'll see how I do!

message 31: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (gobbi) | 5 comments Ok, great challenge. 61 books it is. Separating this into groups of 10 plus 1 for a book of random choosing. Happy reading everyone!

message 32: by Nan (new)

Nan (vtgoat) | 39 comments I'm in! My book total was very low in 2010, only reading 30 books.I know I can hit 41 in 2011.

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 48 comments Does it count if I started a book in 2010 but finish it in 2011?

message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (akoneill) | 17 comments I'm in! I read 57 books (for me) in 2010. I'd love to read 68 this year.

message 35: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
I didn't keep track this year, but I think 2010 might have been an all-time low in terms of reading. So I resolve to do better. My twist on this challenge is that I'm going to listen to 11 (unabridged) audiobooks, which is something I've gotten away from.

message 36: by Jay (new)

Jay Bullman I only read 30 books but I also read about 115 graphic novels. Something will have to give but I think I will go for 41 novels and see if I can still knock out 100 graphic novels to go with that. Great idea Michael.

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather GREAT idea! I read 58, so I will have to work hard to read 69. I was looking for something different than the standard "read 50 books this year" that I did last year. Thanks for the motivation!

Heather in KS

message 38: by Beth (new)

Beth (macabr) | 3 comments Last year I read, on average, 10 books per month. They are mystery/thriller/espionage books read for my blog
www.murderbytype.wordpress.com

I signed on the 2011 Global Reading Challenge. I took on the expert level so I will be reading 21 books (seven continents, 3 books each). I will add the 11 for this challenge so that brings me to 22 books in 12 months.

Since I am not working and never without a pile of available books, I expect that I will read more than those required of the challenges.

I have never done a reading challenge. I am looking forward to it.

Beth

message 39: by Beth (new)

Beth (macabr) | 3 comments Michael, I forgot to mention that this reading challenge and the 2011 Global Challenge are the topics of today's post on the blog.

Beth

message 40: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments I read 38 books in 2010 and hope to read 49 or 50 books this year.

message 41: by Robin (new)

Robin (quinlansmamamia) | 3 comments Happy new year to you all!

I am up for this challenge -- please count me in. I am a slow but devoted reader. I estimate I read 20 books this past year, and listened to several audiobooks. I am setting my reading/listening goal at 48 books for 2011.

message 42: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments OK, I'm in. That will make my total 51. I think my 11 will be books published in 2011.

message 43: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianec) | 46 comments Ok, I'm in. That will make my total 30. I have at least that many on my to be read pile right now.

message 44: by Heather (new)

Heather Would it be ok to track our progress in this group by starting a thread with our name? We could then put the title of the book we read in that discussion thread.

Heather in KS

message 45: by Katie (last edited Jan 04, 2011 10:23AM) (new)

Katie | 91 comments I'm game too! I read far fewer than any of you...I have no idea how many I read in 2010 so I am guesstimating for 2011: 12 books (local book group) + W&P Read Along + Global Challenge 7 + 11 more = 31 books. (I tried to sign up for Global Challenge but couldn't since I don't have a blog/URL...any ideas?)

message 46: by Jenn (new)

Jenn E. I'm going to give it try. I read 70 books 2010 and that's about average for me ... I think I can get to 81 if I try!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Katie wrote: "I tried to sign up for Global Challenge but couldn't since I don't have a blog/URL...any ideas?"

Many challenge hosts permit non-bloggers to sign-up in comments, as opposed to the Mister Linky widget. Then you post your reviews to a social book group (like goodreads) and link your reviews under the appropriate category.

message 48: by Vicki (new)

Vicki  (vmburkhardt) | 1 comments I saw this on a FB post from Read It Forward and Liked your FB page and joined the Goodreads group. I'm in and that means I will be reading 32 books this year. This is the second challenge I've signed up for this year and I never sign up for them! Now I have double the incentive :-)

message 49: by Marné (new)

Marné (heylucy) | 21 comments I'm in too! I didn't keep careful track of what I was reading last year until rather late, but I think I was somewhere around 54 books, so my goal is 65 for this year. I read all kinds of fiction, so I'm going to try adding 11 non-fiction books this year!

message 50: by Heather (new)

Heather I lied. GR just told me I read 59 books last year. So I guess I'll be reading 70! :)

Heather in KS

« previous 1 3 4