}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things Mermaid O<~{ discussion

Miscellaneous > Your Own Mer-writing

Comments Showing 1-50 of 188 (188 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Has anyone else written a book/poem/short story/etc. about mermaids or mermen? If so, and you wish to post some of it or tell us what it's about, feel free to do so. You can also leave a link to your writing if it's somewhere else.

message 2: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) This is a cover for a book I'm currently planning: description

The book is called Sea Sisters: Daughters of Poseidon, and it's about two beautiful mermaid sisters - Vanessa, who is good and wants to be human; and Thalassa, who is dangerous yet seductive and lures mortal men into the sea and drowns them - who come ashore to pose as regular human students at school, but who also unwittingly fall in love with the same human boy. Vanessa loves him, and Thalassa wants to drown him until she starts falling for him too, and now the mermaids will stop at nothing to make him love one or the other.

What do you think? This is actually the second mermaid-related story I'm working on. The first one is too complicated right now, and I'm still working it out.

message 3: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
Sounds cool. Hold on and let me get the links for mine.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...
Book 1- Soul of the Sea
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...
Book 2- Bottle It Up (incomplete)
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...
Shutterbug- Companion book with two bits up.

message 4: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Cool! Your stories are so creative!

This is unrelated, but for another mer-story I'm currently writing, there's a school for mermaids, but I can't come up with any names for a mermaid school. Any suggestions?

message 5: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
Look in Greek Mythology. It's the best place for anything. Just try to find an obscure bit that interests you.
Like the character Delos in my stories. Delos is an island Poseidon raised out of the sea.

message 6: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) That's a good idea. I was thinking about calling it something like that.

Oh, and I've got a really good story idea that I'm planning out, and I might write the first chapter tomorrow to show off on here. It's honestly one of my best ideas yet!

message 7: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Cool!

message 8: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) This is the synopsis for a story I'm currently outlining. The story is called RAVAGED TIDES, and here's what it's about.
~~~
It’s a different world, yet the same. Mermaids have come out of the sea and revealed themselves to humans and are trying to integrate into modern society, but humans aren’t so ready to accept them into the mainstream public. Didn’t they used to lure humans into the sea and drown them? Some mermaids live on land amongst humans, blending in but always having to hide the tattoos inked into their skin that mark them as otherworldly creatures of the deep. Of course, humans that find out you’re a mermaid usually shun away from you. That’s part of being a fish-tailed female, apparently.
Vanessa Sanders is blond, pretty, and popular. Everyone adores her, and she’s got good friends and a great boyfriend who is the captain of the swim team. But no one knows her secret. Nobody knows she’s a mermaid, or a siren, as they are often called, and she knows that if anyone found out, it’d be the end of her: her friends, her reputation, maybe even her very life. Because there’s fishermen dredging the seas, searching for all mermaids and killing them. But then everything changes when Vanessa rescues a human boy from a shark attack. He sees her for what she is, and then, days later at school, she sees him there, and he recognizes her as the mermaid who saved his life.
Obsessed with finding out the truth behind the mermaid who saved his life, Matt falls in love with Vanessa, and she with him, but then she learns the startling truth. His father is one of the fisherman who hunts and kills mermaids. Will he come for her next, and will Matt embrace his father’s evil legacy and kill Vanessa and the mermaids she lives with? Vanessa will have to sacrifice everything to finally find true love.

What do you think???

message 9: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Sounds good. One nit pick would be, what h appened to Mr. Previous Boyfriend dude mentioned above.

message 10: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Ahh...that's a good point. Maybe he could find out she's a mermaid? And that would set off a major crisis? Or maybe he could be something too, like the world's only merman.

This is kind of off-topic, but in my world, mermaids are all female, no males. That's why mermaids fall in love with humans, to continue their race. If a mermaid and a human have a boy, he stays human, but if they have a girl, well... she goes into half-fish mode.

message 11: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Ahhh...... ok.
You could edit him out completely. Don't go all James Patterson.

message 12: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yeah I could, but I want to show how popular she is in the beginning, and then how she changes by the end.

message 13: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Ah, ok.

message 14: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I'm saying that a lot today, hahah!

message 15: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Haha, but at least it gets the point across! :D

message 16: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Yes. I should think so.

message 17: by Garrett (last edited Dec 29, 2010 08:37PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Here's a picture of how I see my main character, a mermaid named Serena:
description

message 18: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) This is the story that goes with the mermaid picture above. It's called SIREN ACADEMY, and this is just a small part of the first chapter, which I'm currently struggling with. If anyone has any advice, let me know!

CHAPTER ONE
Oh, great, I thought as I stood on the beach, looking out at the water. There’s a guy out there, and he’s drowning. Just what I needed. I cursed silently under my breath and then began to undress. I quickly waded through the shallows until I was deep enough in to change forms. My legs grew together, forming a long powerful tail. Orange, red, and gold, as well as creams and streaks of ebony, colored the overlapping scales that spread along the lower half of my body, leaving my tail the colors of sunlight and flames. My toes tingled as my feet fanned out into a pair of iridescent fins, splashed with gold and crimson and black. With a sudden flick of my tail fin, I surged through the water, heading straight for the kicking and thrashing human that was trying too desperately to stay afloat.
I reached the human just as he was sinking down into the murky darkness around us, sinking like a giant, but totally cute, rock. His dark hair flowed like black flames in the murk. As I swam up to him, I wondered why he’d been out here in the first place. What human went swimming in the ocean at midnight? No one, unless they wanted to end up as shark bait. So, as I approached the human and touched his shoulder, I did the only thing I could do.
I kissed him.
Okay, maybe that’s not what most people would do if they were saving someone from drowning, but then again, I’m not a person. Not entirely. And I was saving his life by doing this. My lips touched his, our mouths locked as I breathed air into his lungs. It was my kiss that would save his life. My kiss that would pull his sorry ass out of these dark waters.
Once I saw he was coming to, I swam up behind him and tightened my arms around his waist. With a few strokes of my tail, I managed to lift his head above the water. He wasn’t as heavy as I’d guessed, but he wasn’t lightweight either.

message 19: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Thanks! :D

message 20: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

Emily (emilimcg) | 251 comments Mod
That was pretty good so far!
I wanted to keep reading :)

message 21: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Thanks! I'm interested in continuing it, but I'm sort of at a writer's block for the story. Any suggestions on how to continue it?

message 22: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Garrett, Serena = Stripper name
Even if she is a mermaid, the name should be slightly normal.

message 23: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) But...but... *whimpers* I like the name Serena. One of my favorite characters in this one series was named Serena. Oh, well... :D

message 24: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I've got this REALLY awesome story idea, and I've been writing for the past two days. It's EPIC!!! And the story's finally getting good! I'm really excited about it, and if you want I can post some. You guys are gonna flip when I get done with this story!

message 25: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Awesome.
I love it when I get excited over stories.

message 26: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Me, too! I outlined another one today, too, but it involves werewolves. The one I'm writing now is about mermaids, and so far it's incredible!

message 27: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I finished my book and I'm currently self-publishing it on CreateSpace! It's going to take a while, but when it finally gets produced, you guys can actually buy a copy on Amazon!

message 28: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

What!??!?!?!?!? How did you do this! SEND ME A LINK!

message 29: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) www.createspace.com
I think it's free as long as you do everything yourself, but the thing that's keeping me from going through with it is it asks for a tax number thingy. Once I figure that out, I'm all set!

message 30: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

wow, good luck getting it all together! :)

message 31: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

Well...I might as well post something of mine I guess. I wrote this a pretty long time ago, but I still kind of like it.
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/6...
I have a lot of other stuff I've written, but it's all on paper...eventually I'll get around to typing it all.

message 32: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I remember seeing that before we became friends on here. Surprisingly, there's not a lot about mermaids written on this site! :)

message 33: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

yeah. Actually that was one of the first things I looked for when I joined goodreads. *sigh* Not enough people love mermaids like we do.

message 34: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I guess not. :( I don't understand why, maybe it's just because people think mermaids are limited to Ariel when actually there's a whole lot more out there.

message 35: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

I feel like they are definitely going to be the next big thing though. well, at least after the distopia books die out...

message 36: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I never caught onto the dystopian thing. I thought about it trying it out, but it's not really my thing. I'm still caught on the paranormal/fantasy thing. Those were always my favorite types of books, and now that it's more popular, I'm having to buy books left and right!

message 37: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (last edited Jan 16, 2011 05:41PM) (new)

yeah I know what you mean. I didn't really believe that distopia was for me either...until I read The Hunger Games-which is absolutely amazing-but other than that, they really aren't that great. I am a sucker for anything with romance...

message 38: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) You're not gonna like this (knowing how you didn't like Linger) but I was in the store the other day and I was torn between The Hunger Games and Linger. And which one did I buy? Linger! :D I was so torn, and I'm hoping I made the right choice!

message 39: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

Wait, you have not read The Hunger Games! And you chose Linger! Aaahhhh! What! Well, you should read Hunger Games soon...because it really is amazing :) It's the one series I let myself go fan-girl for. So good...

message 40: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Haha, I really do need to read it! Who knows? I might actually like it. I thought about it before, but I wasn't sure. I'm going to have to get it now!

message 41: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

Well, when you do read it I want to know what you think. Linger too :)

message 42: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Alritey! Right now I'm wanting to read either Nightfall (The Vampire Diaries The Return, #1) by L.J. Smith or Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6) by Charlaine Harris . I'm so torn! Guess I might have to read both!

message 43: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

hmmm...well I haven't heard of Definitely Dead, but I think that The Vampire Diaries would be pretty interesting. You must like vampires huh?

message 44: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yep! After mermaids and werewolves, they're my favorite supernatural creature!

message 45: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

I don't think I have a second favorite...

message 46: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I like 'em all, really, but none of them measure up to mermaids! :D

message 47: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

....You chose Linger?
That might come back to haunt you once you've read the Hunger Games. It is am amazing! Except for Mockingjay. That was just ok.
I love Dystopia. I've always been one for more action and adventure.

message 48: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) So, I've got this idea for a series, and it's about four different girls living in Miami Beach.
Marissa: cool, popular, blond
Lena: Goth-obsessed, punk rocker-style
Dosinia: mysterious and quiet, the tough loner girl
Nikki: wild, rebellious, chatty
Each of them has been given the magical ability to shift into a mermaid with supernatural powers through help from the sea goddess Atergatis. The mermaids have to band together and stop the evil Panthalassa, an ancient evil underwater race of creatures that want to destroy the ocean world.

Let me know what you guys think! :)

message 49: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

I like it. You'd just have to make sure that the girls aren't too H2O-ish, but since they actually have a purpose and are protecting the ocean, I think you'll be okay. :)

message 50: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yeah, I thought it would be like H20 meets Daughters of the Moon. But I've got lots of cool plans for this series that will quickly stomp H20 in the dust! :D

« previous 1 3 4