Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Authors/Writers' Corner > A question for you......

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Dec 27, 2010 07:43AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Happy Holidays Everyone!

I have a question, but I'm not exactly sure how to phrase it. There are so many IR e-books available on amazon for the kindle. When I search on Barnes and Noble for the same books (as I received a Nook for Christmas!), the books can't be found. How can someone get a copy of those books to read on their Nook? I went to one author's website, and to purchase the book, I was redirected back to amazon. I thought having an e-reader would give me access to so many IR books that I didn't have before. I heard that there me some be some apps for the Nook soon to convert kindle books ,but I'm not the most computer savvy. Help!

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user Hey, Michelle. That stinks. :( You should be able to read what you want.

Have you tried the Sony store? You should be able to read ePub files on the Nook.

If the ebook's only available on Amazon, you'd have to strip the DRM and then convert with Calibre in order to read it on your Nook.

message 3: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Thanks NU. I went on to fictionwise.com and came across a few IR romances that I've been wanting to buy. I'll have to check the Sony store and the Calibre link too.

message 4: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2004 comments Mod
What NU said. Some books available at Kindle aren't available at other places because of the process it takes to make the books there. If it's at a publisher, you may want to check the publisher's site or go to http://www.allromanceebooks.com. There's a grip of IR books available there in many formats. Usually they are the same ones available at Kindle and they are DRM free (usually). If they are not, you can strip them and then you'll be able to put it on your device via Calibre.

message 5: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Thanks Rae!

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
Does Nook use PDF format? You can download ebooks from various publishers like Red Rose Publishing, Phaze, and Lulu.com as PDF files.

message 7: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Thanks Danielle. I think Nook does use PDF format. I'll have to check those sites out. Having access to so many more books and authors is going to keep me up at night looking for more books to buy, LOL!

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

You're welcome, Michelle. I am cutting down on buying IR ebooks b/c the quality of the ones I've read hasn't been as good as I have liked. But, it's nice to see that a lot of them end up on Kindle. Of course, that doesn't help you. I used to buy a lot directly from Red Rose Publishing, Phaze, some from Amira, and a couple of other sites. If you like the more erotic ones, Loose-Id has a lot of IRs.

message 9: by Bekah, Mod (last edited Dec 27, 2010 06:47PM) (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 113 comments Mod
I've looked into stripping the DRM and I'm not a computer expert, but I know my way around a machine and it looks HARD!

message 10: by new_user (new)

new_user It's not too bad, basically just running a few scripts, once you get the hang of it.

message 11: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Dec 27, 2010 10:44PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Michelle I have a Sony Reader and unless a book is available in PDF format on a site or on the Sony site, I can't get the book. So I cannot read ebook releases if they are not available on sites other than Amazon.

Luckily I can find mostly what I want by going to the epublisher sites and just downloading the PDF like Danielle mentioned. I only have a problem if I want to check out an IR that was self-published with Kindle/Amazon. But I buy most of the ebooks I read straight from the epublisher sites or they are sometimes free reads straight from the author's site.

But I have had to turn away some interesting looking self-published IR ebooks on Kindle. There were different authors in this group I wanted to read in the past but their books were self-published only on Kindle so I couldn't.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 12: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Dec 27, 2010 10:43PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) But don't make no mistake. I LOVE my Sony Reader. I never wanted a Kindle and still don't. I don't trust Amazon enough to get one. LOL! I've heard some bad experiences from some folks about their ebook purchases disappearing, etc.

message 13: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Dec 27, 2010 10:56PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Danielle,

(Sigh) I agree with you on the quality of a lot of the latest batches of IR ebooks from various pubs. It's like the authors are just throwing them up. I swear one I read not too long ago was like a first draft! It wasn't even edited. I mean the woman could have used Microsoft Word and gotten most of those mistakes. I don't get it. I think some authors are just satisfied with "quantity" and not quality. I know several ebook authors who release tons of books a month yet you can't get through the first few chapters because the book hasn't been edited or even written well to begin with. It's really like some authors are just thinking of throwing books out there to be speedy and not putting out quality. The time doesn't matter, it's the quality that does. A lot of these ebooks I've read lately have been rushed and you can tell. They are NOT ready to be published yet, they are.

I think some folks get comfortable and are just glad to be published even if it's badly.

It's sad though because if this keeps up it will make all of us in the IR genre look bad. There are a lot of talented writers who take the time to make sure their books are in the best shape. Then you got some authors with these "mills" that throw ten books out a month with no effort. That's why I mostly read Historical now. At one point I got so disgusted with the quality of a lot of IR books that I didn't care if I ever read another one.

I've stopped buying a lot of IR books from authors I've read where I see they don't put forth any effort to make sure they are polished. I might let one book go but if ALL of your books are bad and unedited, no. Why should people be expected to spend money on something a person just threw up? And there are some publishers I wouldn't buy a book from even if you paid ME because their books have been so bad.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 14: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Dec 28, 2010 04:06AM) (new)

YW, Michelle. :-) Hope you find some goodies!

Stacy-Deanne, I concur with your thoughts. I wonder if that's the same book I grabbed. I was like squee! because it was a fave theme I love to read, but then when I read it, it felt like a first draft indeed. :-( Commence bubble bursting. :-( Since then I haven't been reading much IR books either. I'm going to get back to it soon because I have some Genesis Press books waiting on my shelf but I'm waiting until my contemporary mood switches back. Lately I've been reading some indies and spec fic (some spec fic indies) and a few favorites. Plus a historical duology that is just too awesome for words (Stacy-Deanne, if you want the rec, let me know. I think you'll like it!)

I think you guys may be right about quantity over quality for the books coming out. Which is a shame because I have read some AWESOME blurbs but the execution needed a few edit runs that could turn the manuscripts into some good books. Sadly, the IR genre is so small that a few books may reflect negatively on the whole subgenre. But that may fall under 'things we cannot control'. The best we can do (from the authors POV) is continue to put out the best books we all can; as clean and riveting as possible and hope readers enjoy the stories. :-D

ETA: Looking through my shelf, I just realized there's one IR author that's my go to for current reads, so I'm getting my fix there! :-D

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Dec 28, 2010 05:50AM) (new)

I'm happy to say that my sister is editing some IR books, and she is one sharp, fantastic editor, so yay to her! I have told her what a great service she is doing. And she gives me the heads up on which ones I don't want to read. She told me about a few with really coarse language and descriptions, and it was a real turnoff.

Just a shout-out here: Shara Azod's books are always very well edited. You should give her a try if you like more steamy romance.

Rae's books are well-edited too!

message 16: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6624 comments Mod
Rae is a good story teller.

message 17: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Thanks Danielle and Arch. :-) I'm nuts about getting my books to a near perfect and clean condition before readers see them, so I'm glad to hear my obsession works lol.

I totally forgot to mention the author's name but J. Adams/Jewel Adams has been my go to IR author as of late. Love her work. She writes on the sweeter end with a hint of inspirational. Very romantic stuff. :-)

Danielle, if your sis sees any good books to rec please send some titles my way!

message 18: by Arch , Mod (new)

J. Adams writes good sweet romances.

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Dec 28, 2010 06:37AM) (new)

Rae, I can tell you put a lot of time into your books. It shows!

I am definitely going to read Jewel. I am looking for some romance that has sex after marriage and more sweeter subject matter. I need a palate cleanser.

Rae, I will definitely pass some recs on. I am trying to get her to post reviews!

message 20: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Thanks everyone for the advice. Unfortunately, a lot of the IR I've come across on certain sites is more on the erotic side, which I'm ok reading from time to time. But I am hoping to purchase more "regular" romance; something with some actual dating and relationship progression. I'm with Bekah about to the conversion or DRM stripping appearing a little difficult, but I'm willing to try it.

message 21: by new_user (new)

new_user I'll PM you, Michelle.

message 22: by Arch , Mod (new)

Michelle, I love to see romance in a romance book. That's why I make sure that my stories show romance.

message 23: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Woo hoo! Thanks Danielle! :-D

I hope she does post reviews. It'd be great to see what she thinks!

Check out Jewel's Tears of Heaven. Really sweet story with sex after marriage (not too detailed either) and a suspense subplot. It has a tinge of inspirational but it's a part of the character's lives so it fits. Plus the hero is Russian and a total sweetheart! Swoon!

I agree. More romance is a good thing!

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Rae, how did you get a copy of Tears of Heaven?

message 25: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Dec 29, 2010 03:44PM) (new)

I bought mine at Jewel's site. She has a page here: http://www.jadamsbooks.com/Site/My_Bo...

She sells it in DRM-Free PDF format so you can probably put it on your Kindle via Calibre. :-)

Oh! Or you can buy it at smashwords in all formats: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Dec 29, 2010 05:37PM) (new)

I'll go to Smashwords. I have a Kindle DX, so I don't have to convert PDF files. Thanks, Rae!

message 27: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Sounds good! I think most of her work is there so it should be easy to grab. :-)

I noticed you added Daniel's book also (Firefly Island). His should be there as well but I noticed it's on sale via Amazon for .99 probably until the end of the year. I snagged myself a copy before it was too late. :-) Thought I'd pass on the sale news!

message 28: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Oh great. I will download Firefly Island now. Can't resist those .99 cent books. Thanks, Rae.

message 29: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Oh my goodness! Since I have been "enlightened" by getting a Nook for Christmas, I have access to so many more books. Please ladies, keep those titles coming!!

message 30: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

I know right? Love those deals!

Michelle, I'll keep an eye out for any deals to pass on. Not seeing any IR ones (although my A Kiss of Ashen Twilight will be .99 until the end of the year via Kindle...just fyi ;-)) but if I do come across any, I'll pass it on!

message 31: by Kasey (last edited Dec 30, 2010 04:23PM) (new)

Kasey Moone (kaseymoone) | 30 comments Just thought I'd chime in about the point about seeing romance in a romance. Couldn't agree with you folks more. Writing scenes detailing sexual tension (instead of outright sex) and scenes detailing charater development are my favorite parts to write. They give me the opportunity to really delve into my characters on an emotional level. Not saying I can't do that with the love scenes, but it's nice to see these elements flourishing in other areas besides the bedroom! :0)

Thanks!

Kasey Moone

kaseymoone.com

Check out my debut novella, Her Snowbound Knight, at ARe. I made the bestselling IR list!

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/categ...

message 32: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Thanks for the heads up, Kasey. I'll check your book out!

message 33: by Arch , Mod (last edited Dec 30, 2010 06:37PM) (new)

Kasey, I love reading tension and I looooovveeee writing tension. Oh, and I looooovveeee writing romance.

When I read a story, I want to see who the characters are. When people read my stories, I want them to see who my characters are.

message 34: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

@ Rae,

AAAGH! I've already bought my copy of A Kiss of Ashen Twilight from B&N the other day, I started reading the prequel on the subway today. I'm excited to keep reading it. Otherwise, feel free to send any, all deals & recs my way =)

message 35: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Dec 30, 2010 06:28PM) (new)

Oh crumb! Sorry about that, Michelle. :-( Well, if you haven't gotten 'Mortals' (the second book) yet, email me before you do so I can give you a discount on it via Smashwords. It comes in all formats so you can take your pick there! ;-) Hope you continue to enjoy the series! I'll keep an eye open for some more deals and titles!

Kasey, your book sounds awesome! Trotting over to check it out now. :-D Congrats on the debut and sales! I agree on the tension and chemistry between the characters extending outside the bedroom. Love it!

message 36: by Kasey (new)

Kasey Moone (kaseymoone) | 30 comments Thanks ya'll. It's nice discussing these topics with fellow romance writers. Happy New Year! ;0)

message 37: by Arch , Mod (new)

Happy New Year to you too Kasey.

message 38: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Madison (ruthmadison) | 13 comments Going back to the original question, does the author's website have a contact button? Maybe you could request a Nook edition and see if she can work with her publisher on getting one. Hopefully more and more will upload with both Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

message 39: by Bettye (new)

Bettye Griffin (bettyegriffin) | 18 comments Apologies if anyone mentioned this already, but you can also try Smashwords.com. They feature eBooks for every (I think) format.