Terminalcoffee discussion

Celebrate > Things Santa *did* bring you, when you were quite small? The belief thread

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I can recall:
a purple and white bicycle, with streamers and training wheels
a cabbage patch kid stroller, nearly life size. I had them check it when I flew back from California after Christmas one year.
A doll named Elizabeth.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
A doll that peed. A book with a green cover that was a Japanese retelling of the Samson story (I'd like to find the title so I can add it to my GR list). Spirograph. A village of little wooden houses which you set up on a plastic sheet that had streets marked on it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

SO you were the one that got the bicycle.

I don't remember getting many Christmas presents. The one think I do remember was the stupid jewelry box I was given the year my brother got the bicycle. Am I bitter and twisted about it? You bet.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

A little red diary that locked.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Gail "cyborg" wrote: "SO you were the one that got the bicycle.

I don't remember getting many Christmas presents. The one think I do remember was the stupid jewelry box I was given the year my brother got the bicycl..."

I understand, Cyborg.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "A doll that peed. A book with a green cover that was a Japanese retelling of the Samson story (I'd like to find the title so I can add it to my GR list). Spirograph. A village of little wooden ..."

We had a a spirograph that lived at my grandmother's house. It is still there, actually. Very nice wooden colored pencils came with it.

My sister always got the sweet dollhouse with miniature, breakable wooden pieces and things with delicate parts she actually kept tidy.

I was more of a force to be reckoned with with my toys. I got pissed a lot as a kid.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Lobstergirl.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

*watches Chicago and Queensland virtually butterfly kiss*

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sally wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "A doll that peed. A book with a green cover that was a Japanese retelling of the Samson story (I'd like to find the title so I can add it to my GR list). Spirograph. A villag..."

My spirograph came with pens.

message 10: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I got lots of things for Christmas, but none that I particularly cherished. Things that I do remember:

1) Lion King 2 automatic bank (I put the coin in, and it sang a song on the way down)
2) Mr. Potato Head
3) Password Journal 2
4) Trampoline
5) Skates that I never learned to use
6) several bikes
7) kid's computer (taught you how to spell, do math...)
8) Sailor Moon wand

And lots of other things

message 11: by Sally, la reina (last edited Dec 22, 2010 06:57PM) (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Sally wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "My spirograph came with pens."

Oh right! Totally. Ball point ones.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I got a machine that makes rubbery monsters from goo.

I got a football game in which you set up the players and watch them "run" as the board vibrates.

I got a theater-style popcorn machine.

I got a unicycle.

Every one of these gifts was given to me during the last dozen or so years.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Phil wrote: "I got a machine that makes rubbery monsters from goo.

I got a football game in which you set up the players and watch them "run" as the board vibrates.

I got a theater-style popcorn machine.

I g..."

You've been quite small over the last dozen years?

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Yeah, but I've thickened up a bit now that the in-laws are here.

message 15: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments A big box of crayons (with all the in-between colors) with a built-in sharpener.

message 16: by Jammies (new)

Jammies A Spirograph, an Easy-Bake oven, a Barbie townhouse, a set of hot curlers, lots and lots of board games.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Oh yeah, a 64 box of Crayolas! Burnt sienna, baby.

message 18: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Oh, I got some dolls, too. I grew out of dolls pretty quickly.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Britt-Britt wrote: "Oh, I got some dolls, too. I grew out of dolls pretty quickly."

Me too.

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

Phil wrote: "Yeah, but I've thickened up a bit now that the in-laws are here."

Huh.

message 21: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments No time to exercise. The waistline has expanded slightly so my 34s are too snug. Total frownie-face. :(

message 22: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I gave up on 34s a while back, Phil, and I don't have the excuse of inlaws living with me.

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh they LIVE there? Oh man, buddy.

message 24: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) My brother and I got a record player one Christmas and a Flintstone's LP with two episodes on it. One year, we got a toy projector that worked. Our Christmas stocking always had a mandarine orange in the toe, nuts, candies, and little toys. When we were teens, I remember the toys being replaced with practical things like deoderant and nylons for me while my brother got deoderant and shaving cream.

message 25: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Sally wrote: "Oh they LIVE there? Oh man, buddy."

Yes, exactly.

Yesterday, on the way to mom's blood draw, we stopped to take a picture of the flooding river. After the pic, the car window wouldn't go up (dad's car). We went the rest of the way to the hospital (and all the way home) with a towel where the glass should be. And of course it was still raining.

When we got home, I took the car to the repair place, then my wife drove me home to my own car and I rushed dad to his kidney doc appt., then back to the hospital for his blood draw & a prescription.

Once he was home, it was back to the mechanic (just as they were closing) to get the car. Cooking? Fuck that, it was fast-food night.

Today was mom's shower (with help from the home help aide), mom's chemo, dad's hormone shot, a new windshield wiper, back to the chemo doc to have mom's port cleared, and a phone call to my wife to please bring home some pizza.

Okay, sorry. I guess I needed to vent.

We never got our big present from Santa -- just the stocking stuff.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Phil it was always going to be very difficult having your inlaws live with you. It's healthy to vent occasionally.

message 27: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Dec 22, 2010 11:09PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I got a Smurf tv tray that I really wanted.

One year my mom thought she was being smart and took me to the store and told me that she had a friend's child that she needed to buy presents for and she needed help picking out the gifts. I was so jealous, that I picked out the crappiest presents ever for my mom's "friend's kid."

Christmas morning, guess who got all those crappy gifts? Yep...that would be me.

message 28: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Stacia wrote: "I got a Smurf tv tray that I really wanted.

One year my mom thought she was being smart and took me to the store and told me that she had a friend's child that she needed to buy presents for and..."

LOL, awful story.

message 29: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments Phil, sometimes everything goes wrong. I can't say that I know what you're feeling, but I imagine that soon I'll be faced with a similar situation. Tough times. Not politically correct here, but I'm sending you good thoughts and prayers right now.

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) A giant BArbie doll head for applying makeup, putting curlers in her hair, etc. Problem was, Christmas morning the whole house was in a panic looking for my baby brother who, once again, had escaped from his crib. He was found, under the tree, eating sticks of my beautiful new Barbie makeup. None was left! It was all over his face, up his nose, in his ears and hair. My sisters had to hold me back cos I was ganna kill him! Now, after years of therapy, approaching middle age, I can laugh. It WAS funny.

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael Lobstergirl wrote: "Britt-Britt wrote: "Oh, I got some dolls, too. I grew out of dolls pretty quickly."

Me too."

I saw this documentary of people who have a certain extravagant passion for dolls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f59N37...

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Phil ...it's healthy to vent occasionally."

And you are such a pleasure to have around, to boot. I'm glad you check in. You never, ever miss my grammar mistakes.

It sucks to hear you are getting those rains. I forget about the states right next to California.

message 33: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I got girly things and I was pretty much a girly-girl, so it was fine. Dolls, little kitchen. But I also played with my brothers blocks and tinkertoys and things. When I was older, I got Barbies and there is a special place in my heart for Fisher-Price Little People things. This was back in the day when they were small enough to lodge in your throat and kill you. Seems like they had a lot more variety then. I remember a zoo you'd lay out on a big plastic mat, and I had a Little People Ferris Wheel that you'd wind up and would play "In the Good Old Summer Time" as it went around.

message 34: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Phil wrote: "I got a machine that makes rubbery monsters from goo."

Me, too. Never mind the 2nd-degree burns, here's the Thing Maker:

message 35: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Sally wrote: "I forget about the states right next to California."

And the ones two states over, too. :)

Thanks for the kind words (that goes for Scout, Gail, Barb and everyone else, too).

message 36: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yeah, I have a bunch of people for a set like that, but I don't have the mat.

message 37: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments we always got lego. loved that stuff.

message 38: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments one christmas, my parents and several of my aunts and their husbands came over after a christmas eve party and woke up my sister and me. I was 7 my sister 5: we opened our presents immediately: we each got our own kid sized upholstered (by my aunt Alma) rocking chairs, toy (pretend)stoves and toy sized pots/pans & toy (but working) sewing machines. We still remember that as the best christmas ever (as children anyway). I can't remember what my folks gave me for my birthday that year.

message 39: by Sally, la reina (new)

Awwww, sweet memory!