Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > The Crap List: Reading The Novels You're Unsure About

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments As a book reviewer with the occasional fan, I sometimes feel it is my job to read those slightly scary books that most people are on the fence about reading, and give a no crap review. If it sucks, I'll tell you that.
So here's some of my first reiews. CONSTUCTIVE words are appreciated.

Shiver by Maggie Steifvater
Miss Maggie knows how to hit it off with the Twi-hards. With it's mysterious alluring cover, vague name, and paranormal romance plot line, this could be called Twilight: Team Jacob version. But whereas Ms. Meyer writes with no grace and has no character, Steifvater has some originality.
THINGS I LIKED:
- Steifvater's werewolves change in temperature drop. It's an original idea (somebody tell me if it's not) and the transformation is a realistic-ly scary one.
- This book isn't afraid of the more horror centric elements.
Meningitis blood as a cure, a good bit more grossolgy than it's vampire counterpart, and changing into a werewolf changes straight out of those awesome sci-fi movies. This book isn't afraid to give props to the old legends involving more blood and guts, which is a welcome change from most tame paranormal romance novels.
Beutiful back story, but only on the pack of wolves and some on Grace.
Great sci-fi influences like the cure for wolves.
THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE:
Another perfect supernatural boyfriend with golden eyes who writes songs for girlfriend that cooks and cleans because her parents are negligent of everything but their jobs.
Sound like anything else?
Sam is an overly sensitive boyfriend. Boys have feelings too! And they don't all depend on the girl in front of him.
There was the typical left out friend sndrome in the start of this book. Rachel and Olivia orginally seemed like the whats-their-faces from Twilight. Olivia is later developed very well, but Ranchel is still on a one trait personality.
Although Shiver was started before Twilight, it seems they share an unnerving amount of similarities.....

Overall: Get it from your library.

Look for more.....

message 2: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments WINGS BY APRILYNNE PIKE

This book is awful. There you go. I'm just here to tell you why. The main character Laurel discovers she's a Faery (whatever happened to spelling it like fairy?) and meets supposedly hot fairy dude Tamani and science nerd David and has to stop trolls from getting into the gate of Clihe' named faIRY world Avalon.
1. NOT AGAIN! The love triangle of doom has re-appeared yet again in this book.
2. No personality in the writing. The most humourous thing that happens in this book is that Laurel (faery main character) drinks Sprite. I'm not even kidding.
3. Again with the no name friend syndrome. There's some girl who has a crush on David and jumps to conlusions and some other teachers and nobodies.
4. Yet AGIAN with the ingnorant parents. When Laurel "blooms" (grows a flower out of her back, because apparently faIRIES are flowers), her parents don't realize anything.... how could they not despite Laurel's mundane ways of hiding it.
5. The awkward "Pollination talk" (barfs)
THINGS I LIKED:
1. Nothing.
2. I still can't think of anything.
3. Want some Ice Cream?

message 3: by Laika (new)

Laika | 16 comments oh, god that books SUCKS.

message 4: by NancyL (new)

NancyL Luckey | 21 comments LOVE your reviews!

message 5: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments Thank you! As my ego has been boosted, I shall write another review.

Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth (Book four)
Alright, I've been feeling a general decline in the quality of these books. Book 1, loooooooved it. Book two, pretty good. Book three felt lacking. But book four was pretty bland.
It might be a case of the magic has worn off syndrome. It happens a lot. Unlike J.K. Rowling who makes new additions to her magic every book without contradicting herself, Rick Riordan has ignored adding any fun details to his soceity of greek gods and godessess for the previous book and this one.
And the worst part... oh God this was awful. Rick Riordan was laying it on thick for the tree huggers.
Don't get me wrong, I'm into recycling and not being wasteful, but this was ridiculous.
Pan ( god of nature) is laying it on thicker and thicker about saving nature afters he's gone and the earth will explode and it will be awful and yadda yadda.
That just annoyed me for b eing in a book that usually, fourth to seventh grade boys will read.
Another thing I didn't like about this book was that it was just.... boring. If you're a Greek myth nut like myself you know what's coming. It gets annoying...... hmmm........
Yes, so, if you're reading this series, be forewarned. I haven't read the fifth book yet, but I'm not too excited about it.

message 6: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments The Hunger Games (book 1)
I'll be honest with you: I loved this book. It had all the good elements I like, balancing each other out perfectly.
Romance- Another honest fact about me? I usually hate romance. It can get in the way of a good story. But the romance here was just right. It was a big part of the story without being what it was all about.
Dystopia strikes back- There has been a lot of Dystopian novels in the last few years, mainly staying underground and acheiving moderate success. It's possible the Hunger Games will renew some interest.
Action- I couldnt've asked for a better paced book. Action was plenty unlike most books of the present and calm was pu in at the right times.

message 7: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments Sea Change
I'm writing a series of novels about merpeople and I research as much as I can about the myths from different regions (Excuse spelling, it's early over here). But I didn't expect some goood story telling from the south.
Sea Change takes place on Selkie Island off Georgia (Selkie's are half seal/half human)and the setting is rich and well written.
However, I have some nitpicks.
Miranda (Main character) is very flighty and picky and unsure of herself. and that gets on my nerves after a while.
The merpeople element isn't played up as much as I'd like. When we finally come to the huge climax of finding out if Leo (alleged merboy and paranormal side of story) is actually mer, it's told as if it could easily have been imagined and really leaves you hanging. I like this because it leaves a lot to the imagination.
Otherwise, this book could've used an editor and a bit more imagination. It's a definite Library pick.

message 8: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments Linger (sequel to Shiver)

It stared at me from the shelves. It taunted me "Come closer".
I reached out my hand, flinching, because I knew I should just wait for Forever to come out, read Shiver again, and get them both at the same time.
The book called louder. The cover radiated. The Barnes And Noble giftcard was burning a hole in my pocket.
"Customers, it is now right forty-five, we'll be closing in fifteen minutes,"
I grabbed this and Scott Westerfield's Uglies and headed towards the checkout.
TWELVE HOURS LATER!
"THAT'S THE END?????" I screamed as I threw the book against the wall.
I'm not kidding. This book angered me enough to actually throw it against the wall.
Alright, I say it's about time to review this tease of a book.
Shiver left us feeling warm fuzzy, loved, thankful, if not a little cold.
Linger will break your heart, slap you in the face, and make darn sure it hurts.

While I love the addition of Cole (lead singer of cheesily named, fictional band NARKOTIKA), I felt Isabel's perspective was funny and biting, but not necessary.

This book was BETTER than Shiver. But there was only one negative part here.

The End

The end will eave you at such a cliff hanger, you're haning onto the smallest root for dear life. I have to be mad at Steifvater and admire her: She knows how to turn pages, and sell you a book.

My verdict: Wait 'til Forever is out. You won't regret it.

message 9: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments Cathing Fire (Hunger Games #2)

Suzanne Collins has enraptured me once again. With another insane cliff hanger ending and plenty of crazy events, this is my favroite book in the series. It improves upon it's predecessor very nicely and gives a better picture of the other districts and the Capitol.
But there were some downsides.
POSSIBLE SPOILERS HERE!
YOU POSSIBLY KILLED CINNA!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Jerk! Cinna is by far my favorite chatacter!
While I liked the Quarter Quell, it dragged on and became more complicated which really confuzzled Miss ADD Queen over here.
Overall, you'll want to read this one. A good solid follow up.

message 10: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments Whip It by Shauna Cross

This book is one of my favorites. It was made into a slightly sucessful movie a few years ago as well. But here's the book review.
Bliss Cavender lives in little suburban Bodeen Texas (fictional town) with paegent crazy mom Brooke and little Shania, whom Bliss dubs Sweet Pea due to disgusting name, and out of the picture Earl. She feels totally left out as her mom thinks Bliss should try for Ms. Bluebonnet, a high honor in Texas paegentry. Bliss is into indie rock and has a secret passion: Roller Derby.
Of course, Brooke would go nuts if she ever found out Bliss was involved with the awesome Malice in Wonderland or Crystal Deth, so she keeps it a secret and rides on the Sneior Citezen Center bus to Austin for practices and bouts.
She find Senor Smolder, a.k.a. Oliver, who turns out to be...well read the book. Her bombshell friend Pash who supports Bliss a.k.a. Babe Ruthless when on good terms with her.
This book describes roller derby vivdly and with no crap. Babe ruthless' derby journey is exciting to read about and very funny.
The one only thing I didn't like was the swearing. It wasn't awful, but it happened more than I would've liked. Still kept to a minumum. Sex was done but not described.
OVerall: You'll want to read it again and again.

message 11: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk Guitar Chick, I think you may be misunderstanding the meaning of the word "Loathing."

message 12: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments I know, three glowing reviews in a row *GASP*
But I have the mothership of all loathing reviews today: Twilight
(By the way, this is about reading the scary novels and judging if they are as awful as they look or you should go ahead and read them.)

Crazy things happen when fan girls will shove you aside to simply ogle at any merchandise related to their passion.
Or will immediatly slam you against the wall to get into their showing of ECLIPSE an hour earlier.
I am of course, talking about the Twi-hards. But it's not them I'm hating against. They've simply been brainwashed into being trendy.
I'm hating against their brainwasher.
The infamous, deadly if read, Twilight.
It's been a long time since I've found a piece of writing more disgusting. In fact, I'm not sure I have.
Full of plotholes and stalker tendancies, TWILIGHT is burning worthy. And that's saying something coming from the Ethical Treatment of Books girl.
THINGS I DID NOT LIKE:
1. Bella is sometimes described as a brave heroine doing anything to save her love. I see none of that in TWILIGHT. I see a whiny, clingy, emo, seventeen year old who doesn't want to do anything without her hu bby, and if she has to, she is depressed all the while.
2. Edward is described as a beautiful god- about eighty billion times- which I completely and fully wholeheartedly disagree with. I see Edward as a stalker, possessive, disrespect to the name of vampires.
3. Sparkles. The vampires sparkle in sunlight instead of disenegrating. Another disrespect to the Creatures of the Night.
4. Where the hell are Bella's parents during all this. Charlie (un-involved father) is barely seen throughout this story. This wouldn't be a problem if Bella was grown up. But I believe she is seventeen in this story, and you still need some parental guidance.
But no, Charlie just stays out the way while a mysterious dude sneaks into his daughters room every night and watches her sleep 'cause he thinks it's beautiful.
5. There is a non-existant friend syndrome too. I don't even remember their names, but there are two or three friends of Bella's who are of no importance in the story. They could've saved us a lot of the boring time (although that was the whole book) and brain draining conversations.
6. So, if Bella is described as a plin girl, why is every boy at the school falling over themselves to get to her?
7. The Cullens are supposed to be an interesting bunch of good vampires who have no desire to eat human beings. I find them to be flat, un-needed characters. They're just in there to make the book look bigger and make people pay for more boring conversations about how vampires work.
8. STEPHANIE MEYER IS WANTED UNDER THESE CRIMES IN HER WRITING:
Raping the dictionary
Creating a field of Mary SUes, GAry Stus, And the anti forms of both
Ruining Creatures of the Night
Setting a bad role model for girls
THINGS I LIKED:
None
Nope
No way.
Nada

message 13: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3)
WARNING: this review is really vague because I don't want to get any spoilers. If you want a spoiled review 'cause you don't want to read this, just tell me.
What a let-down.
After two amazing, revoloutionary, awe-inspriring, freakin' awesome books, we get this.
Mockingjay in terms of a book was just ok. As the last book in a series that's supposed to tie up all the loose ends, it's pretty weak.
THINGS I LIKED:
Annie and Finnick got married- A nice light respite from the darkness of this book.
A few of the new characters
THINGS I DIDIN'T LIKE:
The saddest, most un-necessary death EVER! That includes Fred Weasly!
This book had a lot of boring crap that could've been edited out. It would've made the book a lot more exciting.
Although this is probably just me, Katniss picks the idiot.
Mockingjay drags in a lot of places where it's supposed to be really exciting.
It's never really explained what happens to some characters.
WHY I THINK THIS BOOK WAS BORING
There's no Games! The Hunger Games was about staying alive in the games, Cathching Fire had the Quarter Quell which had much more character development than the first Hunger Games what with all the cool victors, but Mockingjay doesn't have any fight for your life moments until the end, where it's all crammed together.
This feels like an almost James Patterson sequel. It was very empty and almost hurt to read.
Yet I still couldn't put it down.
OVERALL
I think this is essential to the Hunger Games series as we're left off at such a sharp point in the second book, but I don't like it that well, and there's really nothing we can do to change it.
Overall: Get it from the library.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (Avid7Reader) | 60 comments Guitar Chick-Dolly Dagger wrote: "Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3)
WARNING: this review is really vague because I don't want to get any spoilers. If you want a spoiled review 'cause you don't want to read this, just tell me.
What a l..."

Oh, it's not just you! She did pick the idiot...
And Annie and Finnick's wedding I loved as well. But then she went and ruined it with what she did next! Trying not to spoil there, but where she went with that had to be my least favorite part of the book.

message 15: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments I KNOW!
And I know that it was a lot of pressure on Ms. Collins, but I sincerely believe she could've done better.

message 16: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment
By James Patterson

NOTE: I've read all the way to book four. I'm just going to post a review of them all here.

James Patteson is somewhat of a living legend to some. They praise him to the extent of worshipping him.
I don't agree with that statement, but The Angel Experiment was a fun light read.
But maybe too light.
This book felt like one of those packets of fruit snacks. Good while you have them, full of empty calories and highly addictive.
The premise of winged, spunky, different, kids is fun and sometimes laugh-out-loud fun. But when I read this I was hesitant of continuing with it for the fear of decaying quality.
Things I liked:
The fact that each of these kids are different people. They're not all proto types.
WE HAVE A STRONG HEROINE! In a world full of Bella Swan's, we have Maximum Ride. It's so pleasnt to see a girl who can think for herself
WHAT I DID NOT LIKE
The language of these kids can get annoying. And I don't mean that in the usual, they-cussed-too-much way. It just seemed like forced kid language sometimes.

Maximum Ride: School's Out- Forever

This book was no different then it's predecessor. Empty fun. Just a quickie. Nothing really changed.
Things I did Like:
The discovery of the new power.
Getting inside Ari's thoughts.
THINGS I DID NOT LIKE
Anne Walker's twist could be seen a mile away.
I don't know, but this book just seemed....monotonous. Like more of the same.
The Max II twist just didn't make sense to me.

Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports
This is my favorite of the series, even though I still have some qualms with it.
Things I LIKED:
The battle scene with Omega
A look at all the crazy experiments Itex has put out.
Things I Didn't like:
The fight with Omega- You might ask why this is here. I liked it for it's awesome action, but it really diidn't need to happen. It felt like it was just stalling the plot.
The fake mom thing. Again, it didn't need to happen. Cut to the chase Mr.Patterson
Ari's NICE ALL OF A SUDDEN?!?!?!?! No. I'm sorry. Even if he's about to die, no. You just killed off one of your most important villians that I would've loved to see some character development on. NO!
I found the Director person to be very annoying. I don't even remember her name.
The flock splitting just added stupidity to this book.
OVERALL
This series is starting to drag. I think with a few edits, the series could stop here.
NOTE: I didn't know about the million clicks thing to get him to write a new book and I didn't know that this was the projected end.
That Fourth Maximum Ride Book
I hated this book. A lot.
It was just a pile up of burning wreckage salvaged from the last three books with a bunch of new crap piled on top.
I didn't like anything about this book
MAJOR DISLIKE:
MAX IS NOT A STRONG HEROINE ANYMORE
She's all, OMFG FANG IS LEIK SO PREFECT.
I swear that's how it'd look without an editor. Sucks very much

OVERALL: I wouldn't start this. It'll just end badly.

message 17: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk Guitar Chick, you are clearly an enthusiastic reviewer. Why not make your profile public and let people select your reviews from your Read list?

message 18: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments I can't because goodreads has that age thing.

message 19: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk Thatks for explaining.

message 20: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments Hehehe, yeah. Stupid age restrictions.

I'm looking for some new books on the cheap to review and if you guys have any suggestions, I"ll be happy to look into it.

message 21: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk You might consider posting your reviews to a group where the focus is something other than really disliking the books, though.

message 22: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments True.......I'll think about it/

message 23: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments I'm going to review the first three books of Wicked Lovely by Melissa Maar.

Wicked Lovely #1
I'd found this book on the lovely Goodreads. The cover was beautiful, but I was a little hesitant, as I had said the same thing with the first Twilight book and that had ended disastrously.
But I reluctantly bought it for half price at booksamillion.
I wasn't disappointed.
Wicked Lovely is by far the best of the short lived faerie phenomena that went on during 2009-2010.
Aislin is a likeable heroine unlike most of the females in paranormal romance. She makes decisions for herself and isn't ruled by others.
I also loved the grittly beautiful scenes and prose of Melissa Maar. This woman actually has talent.

Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely #2)
I was looking forward to this being the next part in Aislin's journey, but Aislin and co. weren't in the story much. And then I realized that it was a companion book.
This book is about Leslie, one of Aislin's friends from school, who has had some bad experiances in the past. She has a drug addict brother, who at one time drugged her and sold her to some sketchy dude so he could pay for his fixes. Her dad is an alcoholic and mom left a few years ago.
So Leslie has been waitressing tables and paying the bills, and is ready to take control of herself.
So she decides to get a tattoo.
This might sound strange as a way to differentiate yourself from your non-caring family, but it's explained in the book, which I'll let you read to find out.
So she goes down to the awesomely named Pins And Needles (tattoos and piercings. Pretty cool, right?) and picks the art for the tat. Dark eyes peering out behind knotting and chaos.
What she doesn't know is that this tattoo will bind her to the king of the Dark Court Irial (there are four courts in the fae realms. Dark, High, Summer, Winter).
The dark fae feed off feelings like Jealousy, anger, sadness, etc. (which I thought was cool) and they were growing week.
In short, it wreaks total choas in Leslie's life.
This is my favorite book in the series so far. It apints a different side to the story that I almost like better than the depiction of teh summer court.

Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely #3)
And this is the part where it gets boring until the last few chapters.
The first part of this book is dragged on and on and on and on and on until you really feel the urge to put it down for a long time.
But the end is quite interesting, and I really don't want to give anything away for you. But you might want to get someone to summarize this for you instead of actually reading it. Not quite loated, but not a fangirl worthy pick either.
OVERALL:
Read the first two and find a plot of the last.
NOTE: I haven't read Radiant Shadows yet, so that's on the way.

message 24: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments The Blue Girl
By Charles DeLint

The Blue Girl is a great urband fantasy primer that has inspired thousands of authors.
But I have some nitpicks.
Before I go any further on my nitpicks though, I just wanna make it clear that I DO like this book.
Nitpick Number 1:
De Lint drags the story in the middle to the point where I put it down for a long time. I didn't finish this book until months after I bought it on the cheap rack at Books-A-Million.
A lot of it could've been cured by a good editor.
Nitpick 2: The Title
I think the Blue Girl doesn't really capture the novel. I thought it was a very minor problem in the story. I know, that's a really small nitpick, but it bothers me nonetheless.
Nitpick Numbeeeeer 3:
There was a lot of crud that could've been edited out with little to no pain to the author.
So maybe I had a problem with editors, not De Lint himself.

message 25: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments 'Ello all, sorry it's been such a long time, but I've got stuff to review by the bucketloads lately, so stick with me.

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Just for future refereance, I read this before I read Anderson's Speak, which the latter has become one of my favorite books ever.
Alright, Laurie Halse Anderson will probably ring some bells with most of you. She wrote the revoloutionary, aruged over, incredible Speak. Where Speak deals with rape, Wintergirls deals with another big issue: Eating disorders.
I feel like eating disorders are often passed off as a joke, but when things turn serious, they are life threatining, and I think people tend to forget that sometimes. This book treats it as a mental and physical issue, which I really liked.
THINGS I LIKED:
There are crossed out phrases in the book reflecting the mental state of our main character Lia. Things like "I want to eat it all" or "I'm starving and I'm gonna die" are examples. It's very effective.
There's a very live blurred here between fantasy and reality like in a lot of Anderson's other novels. You know how when you're blood sugar's low, you start going a little crazy? Anorexic Lia reminds me of Nina from Black Swan at times in this book: Totally delusional, somewhat still in the real world, but losing her grip hard and fast.
The family dynamic in Wintergirls was very real. Lia's parents are divorced and she has a step mom and step sister who add a lot to the story.
THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE:
The crossed out phrases that I like so much at the start of this book tended to drag a little more towards the end.
The story progressively slows a little bit more as we go on and on but the writing is strong you won't notice unless you read it over a few more times.
I know I referanced Black Swan up there for the hallucination thing up there, but sometimes, I would've liked to know a bit more on the reality of the situation instead of the crazy. Where in Black Swan you could tell the hallucinations apart from the real world, it doesn't really happen much here, which is both enchanting and annoying...
I felt Lia was a very bland character with mixed motivations. She's also a bit whiny from time to time about her parents and such. It's not as bad as most of the angsty teenagers on the market, but noticeable.
OVERALL: Good for a one read only when you have the time.

message 26: by Mary Kay (new)

Mary Kay (marykayt) | 6 comments Shelley wrote: "Have any of you guys read the Stieg Larsson trilogy? If so I'm curious if the books are worth all the hype."

Oh yes - all the hype and more!
The Swedish movies are also really good!

message 27: by Anne (new)

Anne | 3 comments Shelley wrote: "Have any of you guys read the Stieg Larsson trilogy? If so I'm curious if the books are worth all the hype."

I just read the first one about a week ago, and I really enjoyed it. Usually these hyped books are terrible, but they seem to deserve it in this case. I hope I enjoy the other 2 just as much.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Anne wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Have any of you guys read the Stieg Larsson trilogy? If so I'm curious if the books are worth all the hype."

I just read the first one about a week ago, and I really enjoyed it...."

The second one was a little confusing. But the third will rock your boat. Amazing finale! Loved all three! Yes, worth all the hype!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary Kay wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Have any of you guys read the Stieg Larsson trilogy? If so I'm curious if the books are worth all the hype."

The Swedish movies are also really good!"

yes they are excellent. Hollyweird is making them now. We shall see. They will be more explicit and gory. Sigh!

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanjoseph) | 10 comments Sonia wrote: "Mary Kay wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Have any of you guys read the Stieg Larsson trilogy? If so I'm curious if the books are worth all the hype."

The Swedish movies ar..."

I disagree: Characters in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo were like hastily drawn cartoons, and there was some very unnecessary violence. So many better Nordic mystery writers -- take a look at Indridason, Mankell, Eriksson, Stovall, Nesser, Edwardson, and Quentin Bates!