Colorful Chick Lit Challenge discussion

Moderator > Challenge Rules

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Read In Colour, Her Royal Chicklet (new)

Read In Colour (readincolour) | 32 comments Mod
The challenge will run from January 1 - December 31, 2011.

Paper, e-books and audio books are all acceptable.

What qualifies as colorful chick lit
- Written by women of color about women of color
- Humorous, snarky or laugh out loud
- A tinge of romance, but not so much that it resembles a Harlequin
- A happy ending
- It's rom/com on paper!
Participants should try to read books from all four categories: Indian, Latina, Asian & African-American

Levels of participation
- Novice: 4 to 7 books
- Amateur: 8 to 11 books
- Queen of Chick Lit: 12 or more books

message 2: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha  Moore (mrsjmoore2) | 2 comments Is there a list of books,or is everyone for themselves?

message 3: by Read In Colour, Her Royal Chicklet (new)

I added some books to the bookshelf as a suggestion, but I'd love for people to share what they're reading.

message 4: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandi1908) | 1 comments Yay! I am looking forward to it. Lisa I will be hitting the blog and your shelf for suggestions as usual!

message 5: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha  Moore (mrsjmoore2) | 2 comments okay thanks...I am up for the challenge and looking forward to it as well the as suggestions!!!

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (beautifulcurare) | 1 comments This should be real interesting! Thanks for the invite!

message 7: by Kissalife (new)

Kissalife | 1 comments Thanks for the Invite! This should be lots of fun!

message 8: by Sumayyah (new)

Sumayyah (sumayyah1980) | 2 comments I'll set aside a week or so in 2011 to complete this...

message 9: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie Thanks for the invite.

message 10: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie Shanae wrote: "Thank you for inviting me! I'm glad that I will be able to participate. I'm going for the Queen of Chick Lit title!

It's going to be great learning what others are reading about :D"

You're going to have competition, Shanae. I'm going for the Queen of Chick Lit title too.

message 11: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn I'm starting with Feminista. Got it as an ebook.

message 12: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie Evelyn, is there a good deal on Feminista as an ebook?

message 13: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn It's $9.99 at B & N.

message 14: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie Ok thanks.

message 15: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Beloved by Toni Morisson is considered chick lit?

message 16: by Rhea Alexis (new)

Rhea Alexis M Banks (rheaalexis) My First one will be Better Than by Leslie Esdaile

message 17: by Kathryne (new)

Kathryne (Bookgirl1365) | 2 comments Hi-I found this group by accident, and I am glad that I did. I'd like to participate. I look forward to reading the selections by the group, and will look for some of my own.

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 4 comments I just finihsed my first book, Chore Whore: Adventures of a Celebrity Personal Assistant. Good, fast read. I think my next book will be Sweet Little Lies by Michelle Grant. I enjoyed her first book and really like her blog so I'm looking forward to it.

message 19: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Brady (karlab27) | 3 comments I read Feminista. To me it got off to a little bit of a slow start but once the story kicks in it's good. So if it doesn't grab you immediately, don't give up on it.

Beloved is definitely not chick lit. Anything by Toni Morrison is gonna be literary fiction.

Think more along the lines of "Waiting to Exhale" for chick lit.

I'm going for Queen of Chick Lit title. I'm starting with Bollywood Confidential. That looks like it's gonna be a good one.

message 20: by Liane (new)

Liane Spicer (lianespicer) | 6 comments Thank you for the invitation! I know I'll find great new reads here!

message 21: by Maegen (new)

Maegen (maegenr) This sounds like fun. I have so many books on my to read list. Im sure some of it has to be chick lit.

Rhea Alexis: I enjoyed Better Than.

message 22: by Vernetta (new)

Vernetta (vbridges) | 10 comments This sounds like a lot of fun. Looking forward to the challenge.

message 23: by Read In Colour, Her Royal Chicklet (new)

Vernetta wrote: "This sounds like a lot of fun. Looking forward to the challenge."

Thanks for joining us!

message 24: by Sidne (last edited Apr 29, 2011 09:37PM) (new)

Sidne (SidneReadz) This group is ON POINT!! i'm four months late but I'm going to add books i read since Jan 2011 that meet the criteria.Im going for the QUEEN OF CHICK LIT.

oh wait, what really defines 'Chick lit'. let me look that up to be sure i'm on point too. lol

In the event anyone else needs this info here it is.
CHick Lit:
Chick lit is a genre comprised of books that are mainly written by women for women. The books range from having main characters in their early 20’s to their late 60’s. There is usually a personal, light, and humorous tone to the books. Sometimes they are written in first-person narrative; other time they are written from multiple viewpoints. The plots usually consist of women experiencing usual life issues, such as love, marriage, dating, relationships, friendships, roommates, corporate environments, weight issues, addiction, and much more.

So how does that differ from regular woman’s fiction, you might be wondering? Well, it’s all in the tone. Chick lit is told in a more confiding, personal tone. It’s like having a best friend tell you about her life. Or watching various characters go through things that you have gone through yourself, or witnessed others going through. Humor is a strong point in chick lit, too. Nearly every chick lit book I have read has had some type of humor in it. THAT is what really separates chick lit from regular woman’s
another definition of Chick Lit is:
To define the genre in the most general way, chick lit features a female protagonist whose womanhood is heavily thematized in the plot mostly told from a personal side.
So every novel about a woman does not classify as Chick Lit. it just a fiction novel about a woman.

Chick lit has a woman as the protaganist, reads like the protaganist is talking/narrating, the woman faces life issues in the novel and usually written by a woman. Got It!!

i'm going for the NOVICE!! I have way to many reviews now that i hardly get in a personal read. so NOVICE participate i am.

message 25: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 1 comments Would Red Hats qualifies even though it was written by a guy (Damon Wayons)?

message 26: by Miranda (new)

Miranda Parker (mirandaparker) | 6 comments Kimberly wrote: "I just finihsed my first book, Chore Whore: Adventures of a Celebrity Personal Assistant. Good, fast read. I think my next book will be Sweet Little Lies by Michelle Grant. I enjoyed her first book..."

I'm reading Michelle's book now, too.

message 27: by Read In Colour, Her Royal Chicklet (new)

Audrey wrote: "Would Red Hats qualifies even though it was written by a guy (Damon Wayons)?"

I would say no. In addition to giving characters that are women of color shine, I'm trying to do the same for women authors of color.

message 28: by Sidne (new)

Sidne (SidneReadz) Audrey wrote: "Would Red Hats qualifies even though it was written by a guy (Damon Wayons)?"

NOPE!!

message 29: by Vernetta (new)

Vernetta (vbridges) | 10 comments I finished reading Wench by: Dolen Perkins-Valdez. Great book! And I am currently reading Glorious by: Bernice McFadden.

message 30: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rkbowen) | 1 comments Okay I just finished Someone to Watch Over Me by Michelle Stimpson. I am on to Who Said It Would Be Easy, but I don't know if that qualifies as chick lit.

message 31: by Maegen (new)

Maegen (maegenr) I finished Upstate by Kalisha Buckhanon earlier this week. Next up: Orange, Mint and Honey.

message 32: by T. (new)

T. (teateetwo) Hi all, I found this challenge through the Read4Pleasure blog. This is a great idea! I hope to read at least 8 books by women of color.

message 33: by Chel-c (new)

Chel-c | 3 comments Well, I just now getting into Goodreads, but I like this challenge. I'm going to aim for Novice because I'm not sure what qualifies as ChickLits but I'll post books that I previously read this year that I think are ChickLits and more to come!

message 34: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Moncel (carolyn_moncel) | 1 comments Hi Everyone, I am happy to have found this group and thank you for allowing me to join. This is a great idea. I will do my best in this challenge. I will check out your book shelf to see what I can add! Thanks. Carolyn