Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom Pirates of the Caribbean discussion

A.C. Crispin here...I'd be happy to answer questions about this book...

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Hi. If anyone has any questions for me about my novel, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom, due to be released May 17, 2011, I'd be happy to answer them.

I posted a link to the first excerpt of the book here on my Goodreads profile.

This is the longest novel I ever wrote...took me three years to generate the story, get Disney approval, then write the novel. It clocks in at well over 600 pages, and took me about 15 months to write.

Best,

-Ann C. Crispin
Author: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom
Release date: May 17, 2011

message 2: by Jake (new)

Jake I am confused. Is " The price of freedom" about him in Shipwreck cove? Or is it about him and Beckett?

message 3: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Hi, Jake:

The answer to your question is "both."

There are flashbacks to Jack's life when he is 20 years old in Shipwreck Cove, living among the pirates. The flashback plot is then resolved when Jack is 25 years old, working as an honest merchant officer for the EITC, under the aegis of Cutler Beckett, who is the Director of West African Affairs for the EITC.

It's a long book, as I noted earlier -- basically, it's two books for the price of one, under one cover.

A real bargain!

-Ann C. Crispin

(A.C. Crispin)
Author: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom
Disney Publishing, Inc.
release date: May 17, 2011

message 4: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin My website is being updated this weekend to show the cover of the novel, as well as add excerpt 4 to the site.

In excerpt 4 we see 20 year old Jack Sparrow swilling rum and talking about going on a treasure hunt with his best pal, Christophe. They're in a tavern in Shipwreck City (shown in the third Pirates of the Caribbean film) known as The Drunken Lady.

I fear in the scene that Jack has drunk more rum than he probably should have...

Does this surprise anyone?

message 5: by Karraina (new) - added it

Karraina Hello! I am a huge fan of Pirates of the Caribbean and I have read the excerpts of the book. I am looking forward to its release! I read the option to pre-order it thorugh amazon was available, but then I went to the home page and did not find the option. What other options are there?

And if I live outside the US, can I have it by the release date?

Thank you for your great and hard work! I think it will be a success! =D

message 6: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Hi, Karraina!

My editor at Disney assures me that the novel will be available as an e-book at the same time it's released in hardcover. (The price will be $22.99, lower than what's currently quoted here on Amazon.com)

Buying the novel as an e-book is probably your best option for getting it quickly once it is released.

I believe that you can pre-order the book now on the Barnes and Noble site, and Amazon's Canadian and UK associates. But my editor assures me that the "pre-order" button for the book will soon be activated on the US version of Amazon.com. When you see a blue cover rather than the maroon ARC (Advance Reading Copy) cover, you can probably click to pre-order.

I check this page whenever comments are posted. Let me know if you have any trouble. I'm sure you'll be able to pre-order here on Amazon by the end of February!

Thanks for the kind words...glad you enjoyed the excerpts!

-Ann C. Crispin
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom
Disney Editions
May 17, 2011

message 7: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Only about 8 weeks to go before release date! If any reviewer wants a copy of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom, please email me at accrispin@accrispin.com

Five excerpts from the book are now up on my website.

Here's the link: http://www.accrispin.com/projectp.htm

Thanks!

- A.C. Crispin
Disney Editions
May 17, 2011

message 8: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Update: Amazon.com has finally activated the "pre-order" button for The Price of Freedom. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1423...

-Ann C. Crispin
Disney Editions
Release Date: May 17, 2011

To read excerpts, go to: www.accrispin.com

message 9: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin I believe I added this as an event, but just wanted to say that I'll be attending the annual Fells Point Privateer Day and Swashbuckler Soiree, dressed in pirate costume! (I can't believe I'm doing this! )

The book isn't out yet, but I'll have free collector bookplates to sign for Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom.

Here's the link to the event: http://tinyurl.com/3p25s4f

Hope to see some of you there!

-Ann C. Crispin
Disney Editions
May 17, 2011

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Hi. I'm HUGE Pirates of the Caribbean fanatic and I can't wait until your book comes out! I've read the excerpts and they were amazing! In excerpt one, when the Pirate Lords were talking about James, it wouldn't happen to be the well-known Captain James Hook, would it? :) (I'm also a fan of the novel Peter Pan).

message 11: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Hi, Hannah! You're the clever one, aren't you? I figured since Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl had a couple Disney "in" jokes, (remember the comment about "the little mermaid?") that I'd put in one.

Not much longer to wait. Also note...there will be a Goodreads giveaway for The Price of Freedom beginning on May 5!

-Ann C. Crispin

message 12: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Only two weeks to go before The Price of Freedom is on the shelves or shipped by Amazon.com or B&N!

Get your free signed collector edition bookplate, and see the Price of Freedom Goodreads giveaway!

-Ann C. Crispin

message 13: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin I'm sponsoring a Goodreads giveaway for 10 copies of The Price of Freedom. It's going on now, and will end June 5, 2011.

Enter now! Here's the link!

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/ent...

Good luck!

-Ann C. Crispin
Disney Editions
May 17, 2011

message 14: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin New excerpt up for The Price of Freedom on Tor.com. It's the first swordfight in the novel!

You can read it here!

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/05/pi...

-A.C. Crispin
Disney Editions
May 17, 2011

message 15: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin The Price of Freedom is now available to pre-order for your Kindle! Here's the link!

http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Caribbe...

Karraina, I know you were asking about the electronic edition!

-Ann C. Crispin
Disney Editions
May 17, 2011

message 16: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Price of Freedom released today! Also, there are two more excerpts up on my website to celebrate launch day!

Excerpt 6 is "Jack takes a bath" and the other, BONUS excerpt is "the first swordfight" from The Price of Freedom.

Find them here:
http://www.accrispin.com/projectp.htm

The book is now available as hardcover, Kindle, or Nook.

Wishing you fair winds,

-A.C. Crispin
Disney Editions

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah WOW! All I can say is WOW! I couldn't put this book down! I devoured it in a week, completely loving every part of the novel and every character in the novel! I had real feelings for each of the characters, crying and laughing along with the book! GREAT read!

message 18: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Thank you so much, Hannah! Maybe you could post a review? I'd be grateful! Every little bit helps in getting the word out about The Price of Freedom.

Again, thank you!

-Ann C. Crispin

message 19: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Think you're good at POTC trivia? Head on over to my blog, for a 20 question POTC trivia contest. The winner will receive an autographed copy of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom.

All of the questions and instructions are on my blog. http://tinyurl.com/3h4mgd7

Good luck to all of ye!

Release date: May 17, 2011

Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah* I'm about to head over and write a review of this book, but I did want to let you know before I did that how much I absolutely LOVE this book! I was pleasantly surprised how this blew my expectations away. The writing was great; the characters and places were described in vivid detail, and the storyline was frewh and exciting! I really enjoyed it, and hope to read more of this type of work by you in the future!

message 21: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Thanks so much, Branwen! Were you one of the people who won a copy in the Goodreads giveaway?

-Ann C. Crispin

Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah* Nope! I actually bought it a few weeks ago but didn't get to start reading it until a few days ago. I loved it so much I couldn't put it down! :)

message 23: by Demi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Demi Flowers Amazing Book! I loved it so much <3 The character's were absolutely perfect! I also loved all the other characters! Esmeralda and Amenirdis were great! But one thing I noticed is that Angelica now can't hold the title of being the only woman Captain Jack Sparrow has ever cared about xD Though in the book it he doesn't admit it towards Amenirdis I still think he does :) I run a Pirates RP, and I am adding the book characters :D I think it would be really neat if you would write a book about Angelica, or about her and Jacky's past. I think you would be the BEST person for the job! I also really like the idea of you writing about her past.. I want to know more about it xD I would be really neat if you could do something like that :D

message 24: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Thanks for the compliment, Demi. I'm glad you liked The Price of Freedom. I'd definitely be interested in spending more time with Capt. Sparrow, but that's Disney's decision, not mine. :-)

-Ann C. Crispin

Ahdom So, the sash around his waste is from Ayisha, and so is the black thing he wears on his arm? and what are the magic in each again?

message 26: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Ayisha, aka Princess Amenirdis, made the white sash with red stripes that he wears around his waist. She said she had woven spells into it that would protect him from harm.

Ayisha also gave Jack a ring so he could use it to return to Zerzura. It was made of rose gold, with blue enameled insets, set with a large bezel of red coral.

Those were Ayisha's two gifts to Jack, Ahdom.

-Ann C. Crispin

message 27: by Janebeckett (new)

Janebeckett I loooooove your novel!!! It's absolutely one of my favourite book (even if it's in English and I'm italian)... thank you for have written this!!! <3
I've a couple of questions to ask you:
1) What will happen to Beckett's brothers??? And to his father??? I'm really curious XD
2) Is Mercer omosexual in your own opinion? And Cutler?
3) Who's Beckett's mother??
4) Why don't you write a novel about the Swanns???? For example, nobody has said anything about Weatherby's wife? And, how did the Governor Swann meet Cutler??? Maybe Beckett was interested to Miss Swann and Weatherby was jealous... ok ok, I stop myself; but I really hope to read a second novel about POTC's past written by you!
My compliments for everything... and thank you!!!
A kiss from a italian loyal follower
PS: I apologise for my bad english

message 28: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Dear Jane:

Your English is excellent, congratulations. I'm glad you liked my novel. I hope you'll recommend it to pirate-loving friends!

It's not up to me what books get written in the Pirates of the Caribbean universe. Disney owns Pirates of the Caribbean, and they are the only ones that can commission a book to be written within that universe.

I never thought about Mercer's sexual orientation. If I had guess, I would think that he achieved gratification from killing and abusing people. He certainly was a cold-blooded killer.

I think Cutler Beckett's "thing" is power. Having power over people and situations, and power due to being wealthy and having a high position is how he gets his satisfaction.

I have no idea what happened to Beckett's brothers and his father. I suspect they were quite annoyed when the youngest, smallest member of the family achieved what they had always wanted...tremendous wealth PLUS a title.

Hope that answers your questions.

Best Always,

-Ann C. Crispin

message 29: by Janebeckett (new)

Janebeckett Thanks a lot! I'm really flattered that you answered my questions.
Obviously I'm publicizing this novel both to friends and unknown people (through an italian Fanfiction site... I'm writing a fiction inspired by your).
All the best and Happy new year!
PS: I continue to hope that Disney asks you to write more books about POTC's universe... It will be the desire that I'll express for the new year! = D

Autistic Goblin It was a great book :D I loved it a lot I hope they let you write more of his adventures :D

message 31: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin That would be up to Disney Editions. It's been a couple of years now, and no one has mentioned it, so I think it's unlikely.

-Ann C. Crispin

Autistic Goblin A.c. wrote: "That would be up to Disney Editions. It's been a couple of years now, and no one has mentioned it, so I think it's unlikely.

-Ann C. Crispin"

That's okay Jim C. Hines got me started on the Starbridge series... and now I'm hooked on that :D (I also loved your V book)

message 33: by Keriat (new)

Keriat I haven't read your book yet, but I was just wondering if it was compatible with Rob Kidd's prequel ? Meaning, will some elements contradict themselves ?