Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > Ad nauseam > patronizing moppets are the worst kind

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Attention holiday shoppers:
I am VERY sick of the following types of ads.

1) (I mentioned this on FB the other day) "Poor you. You've only been volumizing your lashes, when you should be millionizing them." Oh no! It's true! But wait...why do both of those words have red squiggles under them? Could it be because they're made up words invented to make people feel like only your product can deliver the goods?

2) "Buy her this car. Because really, nobody ever complained that a gift was too big." Really? If Zu gave me a brand new car this month, I would be pissed off. We can't afford a new car, or new car insurance premiums. Yes, people complain that a gift is too big.

3) "Oh, you poor little woman. Are you scared by a widdle funderstorm? Step into my manly arms and I'll place a diamond on your finger." I just hate the guy's patronizing chuckle.

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments those are annoying. and now my turn to annoy you: it's ad nauseam, not ad nauseum.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments janine wrote: "those are annoying. and now my turn to annoy you: it's ad nauseam, not ad nauseum."

So it is! Duly noted and fixed.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I haven't seen the other two ads, but I know the one with the diamond ring is becoming an infamous classic!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I hate anything that implies that you're "worth it."

Sorry, life doesn't work that way. If you can't afford something, you shouldn't buy it, regardless of how great your self-worth is.

There was a credit card commercial about a year ago that had the line from the song "I want it all and I want it now" in it and I wanted to hurl things at the screen every time I saw it. What a terrible attitude to have.

message 6: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I'm not familiar with any of these ads, but that's probably because I haven't watched tv for almost two years...looks like I'm not missing out much :)

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) How do you live?

message 8: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Very carefully Larry...breathing helps too.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't see commercials either. The only television I watch is the ABC which is commercial free.

message 10: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i don't watch a lot of commercials, but i know enough about them to be able to imagine what the commercials sarah pi describes look like.

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori Yep, I never see those since I never see commercials, unless in passing.

But it's all part of the problem, and why we are in such a mess. Charge everything, it's OK really! Because you have so much time to pay it back, take your time.

Ads are fascinating. I can get obsessed thinking about them.

And don't forget the stupid husband! Either men are hot hunks with some T&A draped over him, or a stupid husband.

message 12: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments I admit, when a thunderstorm comes to town I’m out looking for scared and vulnerable girls. Of course, I give them vodka rather than a diamond ring.

But if you drink enough, vodka is forever too.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments especially if vodka leads to a bun in the oven.

message 14: by Brittomart (last edited Dec 08, 2010 04:13PM) (new)

Brittomart I don't like the "Every Kiss Begins with Kay" commercials.

Can we just talk about commercials in general 'cause if I see that commercial with the middle-aged black man wearing his baby's bib to eat a fucking McRib again, I'm calling Jesse Jackson, like for real.

ALSO. I talk about this on my facebook. Has anyone see the amazon commercial with the black grandma and her grandson? I'm really glad they didn't like, use any stereotypes in their commercial, so kudos to Amazon for that, but I really doubt that the little boy (who is like, 10, 11 tops) wants a Kindle for Christmas. If he does, then his grandma is his only friend. And that's not just black kids, that goes for any kid.

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments My friend's daughter is eight and she requested a Kindle for her birthday. Loooooooves to read.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Alecia wrote: "Very carefully Larry...breathing helps too."

Don't stop. At least not any time soon.

message 17: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart ...it was a joke.

Also, I probably would have asked for a kindle when I was younger too, but I didn't have any real friends. Not as in all my friends are imaginary, but it was...ugh too complicated to explain with an iPod keyboard

message 18: by Brittomart (last edited Dec 08, 2010 05:34PM) (new)

Brittomart Exactly. and then if there was a choice to play or talk to me or another kid, that other kid was always chosen.
I was the back up friend at school. Until the 6th grade.

And then the kids in my trailer park, they just liked me when I had new stuff. But I wouldn't let them play with my stuff, and they were like, "well, I'll stop being friends with you if you don't let me." and I was like, "Okay. Bye bye."

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori Same with Jake, Myles. And he was in a gang at school, but when I would ask him why he never went on "play dates" he'd say those were school friends. Except for 2 brothers he's known since age 3. Now suddenly he's branching out again. What's funny is there's one group (he's got a couple) that all go out to a movie or something on a Sat night, woohoo, heheh I remember when I started being able to go out with a gang.

message 20: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Bun, the patronizing moppet has a print ad, too, which caused me to throw a magazine across the porch the other day.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Muppet?

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Hi Myles!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

When you say gangs I have visions of teens roaming the steets looking for little kids to beat up.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Muppets.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

I do too! I'd be a Jet.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay muppets in gangs beating up little kids.

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

Like Cookie Monster and Snuffalupagus going bezerk on little moppets?

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yeah but watch out for Big Bird.

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

He's kind of a pederast.

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You're not supposed to mention that.

message 31: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart What's a moppet?

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Muppet.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

A cute name for a little kid.

message 34: by Lori (new)

Lori When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way from your first cigarette to your last dying day!

Gangs make me think of Clockwork Orange and recoil in horror. I should have never seen that movie stoned off my rocker.

message 35: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Like poppet?

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No nothing like poppet.

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

I think I saw that movie stoned too. I had to turn it off at the first weirdly violent rape scene.

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I've never been stoned.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Would you like to be, I have a rock here handy?

message 40: by Sally, la reina (new)

A rock here candy. A candy rock here. I have here a handy rock.

What?

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven)

message 42: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I googled it. A moppet is a kid?

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Muppet, Britt. Muppet.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

I remember Popples! They weren't nearly as much fun as the commercial intoned.

message 45: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Then why isn't it spelled muppet on the thing?

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Sally wrote: "A rock here candy. A candy rock here. I have here a handy rock.

What?"

Larry said he hadn't been stones so I was prepared to help him out by throwing rocks at him.

message 47: by Sally, la reina (last edited Dec 08, 2010 08:14PM) (new)

OOOOH! I was concerned you were offering him crack! I was also concerned that the term I used to use for smoking dope meant that I was smoking rock. Oh goodness, I think I'm tired.

message 48: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No I have been stoned. But only once. And I didn't inhale. Er ... uh ....

message 49: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Moppet...   Poppet...   POFFERT!

message 50: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments It's time to play the music
it's time to light the lights...

« previous 1