Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

YA Reading Challenge > Reading Challenge #7 - Ideas and Discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments Hi guys!

I thought if no one objected I would head up the next reading challenge starting in January and going through the end of March. I was thinking of doing something similar to the A-Z books, only doing it with authors.

So you would get a certain amount of points for the first author with the last name A and so on.

I was also thinking about extra points and wanted some more suggestions - I was thinking of extra points if the author is a Goodreads author, if it's the first time you've read that particular author but beyond that I don't know what else I should add. Maybe if it's their debut novel and even more points if it's a 2011 debut novel.

What do you guys think?

message 2: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Dec 05, 2010 11:02AM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I like all of those ideas for extra points! I'll throw out a couple others, but don't feel obligated to use any of them :)

- Author's name is the same as your name (first or last)
- Author's birthday is the same month as yours
- Author lives (or has lived) in the same state as you (maybe country if outside of the U.S.?)
- Author's standard genre is not one you normally read (ie. horror: Joan Lowery Nixon or sci-fi: Scott Westerfeld)
- Author's born in the same decade as you
- Author's born before you
- You start or contribute to discussion about the author on WT
- Author has less than 100 fans on GR (hidden gem kinda thing)

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy How about also adding the author has an award winning book or you can do more than one award winning book? I like the A to Z author idea.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments Great suggestions! :) Keep em coming!

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 446 comments These are great. Loved the A to Z challenge. I might actually be able to participate in this one. :-)

message 6: by Karis (new)

Karis Jacobstein (yalitwit) | 419 comments Extra points when you hit 5 books, 10 books, 20, etc. during the challenge period?

message 7: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Hey Kristen, this sounds like fun!

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments Yay! Glad you guys are excited. Maybe an bonus 50 points when you get one by each letter?

message 9: by Amy (last edited Dec 07, 2010 05:56PM) (new)

Amy Oh I like the extra points one! Then how about extra bonus points (like maybe a hundred) when you finish the entire challenge?

message 10: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Points for books that work for the on-going monthly challenge!

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth (bll1010) | 86 comments I love the A-Z idea! I can't wait to see how it all comes together!

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy I'm just hoping I can stick to this challenge. I started out great with the other one then got off track.

message 13: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I am excited:) I wasn't going to participate in the next challenge (I need fun reading time), but I think this will let me have some fun reading- Yay!

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy The challenges are fun but then I get stressed out when I make my list and don't stick to it. So next challenge, so lists. Maybe I'll do better that way.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 446 comments Amy that is how I did the summer A to Z challenge - I read what I wanted but not based on any real lists. It was a lot of fun.

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments I really like the A - Z type stuff because then any book I read counts as long as it's YA or MG fiction. :) Glad to get you guys excited! I'll probably put up the challenge details next week sometime so if you have any other brilliant ideas, let me know!

message 17: by Rosa (new)

Rosa Thunselle (josiahrose) | 1 comments Sounds like fun. This will be my first challenge.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy Be careful Rosa, they are addictive!

message 19: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

If books that work for the on-going challenge are going to count for extra points, you may want to go vote for January's theme in the polls. I can get nominations for February and March going soon, too, so people can plan.

Go vote!!

message 20: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

If you want to vote, you have to scroll way down in the polls, I think it's number 12. Please give us some votes!

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy Just did!