Cult Books & Miscellaneous discussion

Group Reads > Nominations for January Read

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (last edited Dec 02, 2010 09:52AM) (new)

Alice | 84 comments Mod
What should be our first read for the New Year?

Nominations open until December 12th.

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice | 84 comments Mod
Nomination, from MJ: "Christie Malry's Own Double-entry by B.S. Johnson. It's short and hilarious."

message 3: by Naomi (last edited Dec 05, 2010 01:46AM) (new)

Naomi | 86 comments Mod
Nomination, from MJ: "Christie Malry's Own Double-entry by B.S. Johnson. It's short and hilarious.""

Wow, just looked this up and it looks really good, by the way I really liked your review of it MJ, made me add it to my to-read list immediately!

message 4: by Naomi (last edited Dec 05, 2010 01:46AM) (new)

Naomi | 86 comments Mod
I think I shall continue the post-modernist trend and nominate Oblivion: Stories by David Foster Wallace. To my immense shame and dismay I have never read any DFW but always wanted to, so I thought the January read would be an excellent time to rectify this.

message 5: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) "Incantations of Burned Children" is in that collection and it's one of the smartest fast-paced stories I've read. It's also a masterclass on writing narrative position.

message 6: by Alice (new)

Alice | 84 comments Mod
My nomination for January is Isis. While it's not quite in the vein of the above titles, I have had it on my shelf for quite some time. The reviews I've read tend to put it in the Victorian Gothic category and after reading The Monk I'm very interested in that genre.

message 7: by Alice (new)

Alice | 84 comments Mod
Nominations for January are closed.

message 8: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 86 comments Mod
Only 3 nominations, but I want to read them all anyway so it will be tough!