Atomic Fez Publishing discussion

Andrew Hook
This topic is about Andrew Hook
Atomic Fez Author Interviews > An interview with Andrew Hook, author of Ponthe Oldenguine

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth, Marketing Maven (new)

Ruth Seeley (ruthseeley) | 23 comments Mod
Tea or coffee?
Coffee - black and no sugar. Although I tend to have no more than 100 cups a year and mostly drink water for liquid refreshment.

City mouse or country mouse?
City mouse, because of the anonymity. There's potential for anonymity in the countryside, but there's a difference between anonymity in a crowd and basic isolation. I prefer to be amongst people, whilst remaining a stranger.

Wine or beer?
Beer - but not lager, always bitter. Probably due to quantity re: value for money when out drinking.

Jazz or blues?
Neither sing to my soul, being an old punk myself.

Cats or dogs?
Always cats. Dogs are like children (enough said). My two cats, Susan and Kirsty, agree.

How do you feel about snails?
I prefer them to slugs because they're easier to pick off milk bottles without touching the soft body. One of my favourite songs, "Moisture" by The Residents, also features a snail.

How old were you when you got your first library card?
Probably at a very early age. This was for a small library close to where I lived with my parents. I remember reading Dr. Seuss and Berenstein Bear books. Later, in my teens, I was picking up Kingsley Amis and large print Agatha Christie books. I can no longer remember why I selected the large print books.

What's the first book you remember reading on your own?
Enid Blyton, Five On A Treasure Island. I can remember holding it for the first time.

What's the book you've reread most often (and why do you keep rereading it)?
Two: Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins for its life-affirming sentiments and wonderfully executed story and prose, and Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre because it connects.

Who's the author/what's the book/to whom/with which you'd most like Ponthe Oldenguine to be compared?
I don't have any direct comparison for this book, but one reviewer has mentioned it's Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 reinvented for the reality TV generation. I haven't read Pynchon, so can't vouch for this

What's the one thing you'd like to say to say to someone reading Ponthe Oldenguine?
Thanks!

Why do you write?
Because it's impossible not to. It runs no deeper than that.

message 2: by Ruth, Marketing Maven (new)

Ruth Seeley (ruthseeley) | 23 comments Mod
And here's the latest review of Ponthe Oldenguine: http://ow.ly/4dyrc