Books on the Nightstand discussion

What are you currently reading? - December 2010

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
How did it get to be December already?

I'm reading manuscripts for our upcoming Summer 2011 sales conference.

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz Brown | 15 comments IAM READING MAJOR PETTIGREW LAST STAND / SIMONSON . IT IS REALLY GOOD . NEXT IT WILL BE SWAN THEIEVES BY ELIZABETH KOSTOVA. I HOPE EVERYONE HAD A GOOD THANKSGIVING.

message 3: by Kathie (last edited Dec 01, 2010 08:03AM) (new)

Kathie I'm reading Four Queens: The Provençal Sisters Who Ruled Europe. I'm enjoying it, but it's one of those books where you have to keep three bookmarks going--one for your reading, one for the genealogical tables, and one for the maps.

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriek333) | 1 comments I'm reading "Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" to finish up the series - really enjoying it but not as much as the first. I'm also reading "Bird Lake Moon" by Kevin Henkes (with my son who is doing Battle of the Books this year) and I'm really enjoying it! Lastly I'm reading "Holidays on Ice" by David Sedaris for one of my book clubs.

message 5: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) I'm almost half way thru Inkdeath and I am also reading The Lost Hero

message 6: by Brandon (last edited Dec 01, 2010 12:16PM) (new)

Brandon (brandonsears) Just finished reading Penny Dreadful, picking up Hell's Half Acre tonight! Both are by William Christopher Baer.

Penny Dreadful was one of the best books I've read in 2010. So ridiculously good.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 65 comments I just started reading Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine. It's well written, fast-moving and sad.

message 8: by John (new)

John (taborcarn) | 45 comments Just finished Edge and almost finished with The Tourist. Also read half of the Song of Ice and Fire series recently.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments Reading Time of My Life by Allison Winn Scotch. It's a light read after the two WWII books I read in November. Also plan to read A Christmas Carol and Matchless for book group, and Kavalier and Clay when the library let's me have it!

message 11: by Ann (new)

Yes, don't forget that we are having a Kavalier and Clay live book discussion. (note to self: schedule and find copy of book)

message 12: by Alexia (last edited Dec 02, 2010 05:58AM) (new)

Alexia (crittersmom) | 29 comments I'm doing some "fluff" reading. Just finished Borderline by Nevada Barr and am currently reading Heat Wave by Richard Castle. Russian Winter is next on my list after my brain candy.

message 13: by Esther (last edited Dec 02, 2010 09:11AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) Alexia wrote: "I'm doing some "fluff" reading. Just finished Borderline by Nevada Barr and am currently reading Heat Wave by Richard Castle. Russian Winter is next o..."
Wow I so want to read Heat Wave. Having you seen the Youtube vid of Nathan Fillion reading from it?

message 14: by Tenoko1 (new)

Tenoko1 Just finished reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which I loved immensely, and about to start Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. This is my first time reading the series, and I was pleasantly surprised, though still embarrassed to admit liking them because of the bad rap they still get. I was never one to make fun of the fans, and politely shyed away from the fanatic fans, but I never wanted anything to do with the series and was sick of hearing about it when the books were still being released. I only ended up having to rad them because I lost a bet. Glad I did.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I am still slogging my way through The Once and Future King. I'll finish The Sword and the Stone section, but if the next part doesn't pick up, I'm done. I am enjoying The Finkler Question. The author strikes a good tone, and the characters are intriguing. I also started listening to Keith Richard's Life, narrated by Johnny Depp. Depp does an excellent job with a rather disjointed narrative.

Shruti morethanmylupus (morethanmylupus) | 54 comments Just started The Prince of Tides yesterday. I'm already 125 pages in because I just can't put it down!

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate | 269 comments Ann was reading my mind! I am 1/2 way done with A Fraction of the Whole and trying to decide what should be next. I was going to ask about Kavalier and Clay and the live book discussion so now that'll be next. Thanks, Ann!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I've started Russian Winter(by Daphne Kalotay.)It's a novel about a Russian ballerina who disaffected from Stalin's USSR and made her home in the US. The story takes place in the present in Boston and, in the protag's past in Russia. The narrative's trigger is the sale of her extensive jewelry collection. I've just started but so far, so good. Two other key figures have emerged, another Russian who lives in Boston, who has some sort of mysterious relationship with the ballerina and, the lady from the auctioning house handling the sale of the jewelry. There are some odd phrases masquerading as full sentences which is a little bit distracting; but I'll get used to it!

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicafishell) | 3 comments I'm reading Torture the Artist by Joey Goebel. The premise is what made me pick it up. It's about the idea that great art comes from suffering. This media empire decides American pop culture is nothing but trash, so they start this school where they seek out gifted kids and groom them to be true artists. The crème de la crème get managers to literally make their lives miserable to fuel their art (in secret, of course), and the book focuses on one such manager and his artist.

It's an interesting look at morality and modern culture.

Torture the Artist by Joey Goebel

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading West of Jesus: Surfing, Science, and the Origins of Belief; so far it is a great story that is down-to-earth.

I also plan to finish the month with Hitching Rides with Buddha.

message 21: by Libby (new)

Libby (libbyw) | 131 comments I finished reading The Children's Book, which starts in Victorian England and goes into the Edwardian era and WWI. Olive, a children's book author, and her husband and seven children live in Rural England. Olive and Humphrey and their friends are Fabians and there are a lot of extramarital affairs and children turn out to have different parents than they had thought. The novel revolves around other families and the relationships that their children get involved with. For a while, I had to keep reminding myself who some of the individual characters were and who they are related to. Some of the characters are artists and there is a lot of discussion of art, including silversmithing, pottery and puppetry. It is engrossing but not a quick read, at least not for me. This would be a great selection for a book club, because when I discussed it with my partner each of us brought up something the other hadn't thought of.

message 22: by Vanessa (last edited Dec 04, 2010 03:47PM) (new)

Vanessa | 330 comments I just finished Revolver by Matt Kindt which I have marked as a BOTNS recommend so I guess this came from Michael. You know, long have I resisted the graphic novel. Way long. Anyways, I'm a convert. I really liked this story, how quickly I can finish one and how the graphics add so much to the narrative.

I'm now starting Sympathy for the Devil, a collection of short stories about, well, the devil. It probably sounds like dreck BUT I'll just throw in it includes contributions from Neil Gaiman, China Mieville, Stephen King (naturally) and Theodore Sturgeon.

message 23: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Cosin | 13 comments I'm reading an ARC of Little Princes, One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal. Anyone else reading this?

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments Reading My Reading Life by Pat Conroy My Reading Life
by Pat Conroy. It is as though I can hear his voice as I read. So far, good.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I've started listening to The Ice Harvest (by Scott Phillips; narrated by Grover Gardner.) I'm in a group that is sponsoring a mini-challenge until the end of the year (listen to four audiobooks that feature a holiday) and I chose this The Ice Harvest 1) it features Christmas 2) I loved the movie (Oliver Platt as the drunk-who-over-enunciates was one of the funniest performances I have ever seen) and 3) the narrator told me that he LOVED working on this book and I kinda hafta think that's somethin' :-)

message 26: by Alexia (new)

Alexia (crittersmom) | 29 comments Esther wrote: "Alexia wrote: "I'm doing some "fluff" reading. Just finished Borderline by Nevada Barr and am currently reading Heat Wave by Richard Castle. [book:Russian Winter|786..."

OMG, I must find that. Nathan Fallon is just so yummy and IS Richard Castle. Off to YouTube! Thanks for the heads up, Esther.

message 27: by Esther (last edited Dec 06, 2010 11:08PM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) Alexia wrote: "Esther wrote: "Alexia wrote: "I'm doing some "fluff" reading. Just finished Borderline by Nevada Barr and am currently reading Heat Wave by Richard Castle.

I've just treated myself to Heat Wave so now I'll be able to cuddle up with Nathan Fillion on those cold winter evenings!!

message 28: by Jay (new)

Jay Bullman Robin wrote: "Reading My Reading Life by Pat ConroyMy Reading Life
by Pat Conroy. It is as though I can hear his voice as I read. So far, good."

Really hoping to find this one under the tree this year!

message 29: by Jay (new)

Jay Bullman Shruti wrote: "Just started The Prince of Tides yesterday. I'm already 125 pages in because I just can't put it down!"

One of my all time favorites.

message 30: by cazdoll (new)

cazdoll | 20 comments im re reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling for the 3rd time never get sick of it

message 31: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) Catherine wrote: "im re readingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling for the 3rd time never get sick of it"

I agree, I love the HP series and have read it several times.

Right now I am half way thru The Lost Hero and I am really enjoying this one. Its as good as the first Percy Jackson series.

message 32: by Frank (new)

Frank (wuenho) | 3 comments Ann & Michael, just discovered your podcast last night and wow thank you! Keep up the wonderful work. I am just discovering Nicole Krauss. Finished The History of Love last week (loved it!) and now am savoring each paragraph in Great House. Yum.

message 33: by Don (new)

Don | 49 comments Just finished The Passage which I liked but it was too long by half. I was so ready for it to be over. I'm also in the middle of Miseryand it's too short. Next up: Mr. Peanut

message 34: by Ann (new)

Frank, welcome! The History of Love is brilliant! I have Great House here waiting for just the right moment. Enjoy!

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (pinkrain718) | 33 comments I am just starting The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls . I've heard wonderful things about the book and I'm looking forward to reading it. I never read memoirs, so I'll be interested to see how I like it.

message 36: by cazdoll (new)

cazdoll | 20 comments wish i got to read more of my book last night but had to clean the house by the time i went to bed i was to tired to even open my book but i'll read non stop tonight:)

message 37: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments I'm in the middle of my Christmas season reading. I finished A Christmas Carol last night, and I read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever today. This is one of my favorite Christmas stories, please pick it up and read it to your kids if you can, like my mom did for us! It's about the Herdmans, a family of a bunch of kids that are terribly behaved (they smoke cigars, set fire to things, beat up the other kids, and are generally awful) and how they get brought into the annual church Christmas pageant. It's funny and touching, just fills you with warm-cozies!

I also read something that I guess could be called a graphic novel, called Every Person on the Planet: An Only Somewhat Anxiety-Filled Tale for the Holidays... about a husband and wife who decide to throw a holiday party. As they write out their guest list, they keep remembering people they've forgotten to include... and end up inviting every person on the planet. It's a great take on a holiday story, and it was done by Bruce Eric Kaplan, who does comics for the New Yorker. Definitely another good gift for someone!

My freebie Christmas Carol ebook came with a couple other of Dickens' Christmas stories, so I'll probably read those next. Then, who knows?

message 38: by Ann (new)

Callie, sounds great! My kids are heavy into Christmas reading now, but I didn't know about The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. I'll have to track it down -- sounds like they will love it. My 8 y.o. is trying to tackle A Christmas Carol -- her idea, not mine.

message 39: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) Finished The Lost Hero, which I loved. I can't wait til the next in the series comes out next fall.

Currently I am just getting started on The Tombs of Atuan

message 40: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments Nicole wrote: "I am just starting The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I've heard wonderful things about the book and I'm looking forward to reading it. I never read memoirs, so I'll be interested to see how I like..."

Loved this book. It read like a novel for me. Did you read "Half Broke Horses"?

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments I love this book - I think I'd put it in my Top 10. You mention that you don't read memoirs, and it made me think about how odd the author's parents were, it didn't even seem like it was true - LOL.

message 43: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) I finished The Tombs of Atuan, I am really enoying the Earthsea series.

Currently I am just getting started on False Memory, In the Time of the Butterflies, and Phineas Finn

message 44: by nancy (new)

nancy (npjacoby) | 261 comments I just started Invisible Bridge--great so far

message 45: by nancy (new)

nancy (npjacoby) | 261 comments Robin wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I am just starting The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I've heard wonderful things about the book and I'm looking forward to reading it. I never read memoirs, so I'll be interested to..."

I loved this book.. One of the best opening scenes ever! And I know the author . What a success story

message 46: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (pinkrain718) | 33 comments Robin wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I am just starting The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I've heard wonderful things about the book and I'm looking forward to reading it. I never read memoirs, so I'll be interested to..."

To be honest, it doesn't seem like a memoir at all! I would completely agree that it does read like a novel and although I'm only 20ish pages in, I'm already hooked. I have not read the book you mentioned, I'll have to look into it :)

message 47: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2842 comments Mod
Nicole wrote: "Robin wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I am just starting The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I've heard wonderful things about the book and I'm looking forward to reading it. I never read memoirs, so I'll be..."

I loved her follow up the story of her grandmother Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls .

I await her next work.

message 48: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
I just finished writing the last of four guardian ad litem reports due before the holidays. Now I can get back to some reading.

message 49: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments I am currently reading:
The Warmth of Other Suns
Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
The Complete Persopolis (second half is much better than the first half)

message 50: by Kathy (last edited Dec 10, 2010 03:04PM) (new)

Kathy I'm about halfway through Thomas Keneally's history of Australia, A Commonwealth of Thieves, and am looking forward to Lev Grossman's novel The Magicians. Knowing that no one would give them to me for Christmas, I made myself a present of the Autobiography of Mark Twain, Vol. 1 and Terry Pratchett's I Shall Wear Midnight. I'm trying to force myself not to read them until after the holiday, but my will power may not be that strong.

« previous 1 3