The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.3 - Christine US's task: REFLECTIONS on 2010

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 01, 2010 12:53PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10997 comments 25.3 -- Christine US's task - REFLECTIONS on 2010
Read 2 books:
Book A: Think of a positive experience/memory you have from 2010. Find a book that relates to that memory.

For example, I had a great family trip to Walt Disney World. I could read a book about Walt Disney World, or about a family vacationing together.

You are not required to give us the details of your memory -- just provide enough information to explain how the book relates to it.

Book B: Read another book by an author you read for the first time in 2010 (including December). It doesn't matter how many books you read by that author, as long as you read the author for the first time in 2010. It doesn't have to be limited to a new author read for a challenge. If you have not read a new author this past year OR if all your new authors do not have more published than the 1 book you already read, you have the choice to (1) re-read that book, or (2) read a book by an author that I (Christine) discovered and enjoyed this past year:

Carl Hiaasen
Maria V. Snyder
Julia Quinn
James Huston
Joshilyn Jackson
Jefferson Bass
Sarah Dessen
Neil Gaiman
Joanne Fluke

message 2: by Christine US (last edited Dec 01, 2010 01:41PM) (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Both fiction & non-fiction are acceptable.

* The task was changed so that now Book B no longer has to be the 2nd book you have read by that author. As long as you first read a book by this author in 2010, that's the important part.

Here is what I am planning to do (as way of an example):

Book A: Disney After Dark by Ridley Pearson

I had a great family vacation in 2010 in Walt Disney World. This book is set in Walt Disney World.

The relationship between the two is clearly defined(hopefully!) which should make is simple for the moderators to find, understand, and approve.

message 3: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments hold

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10997 comments This thread is now open.

message 5: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I was wondering if this is close enough I just got a job this year to live out my career (almost a year after college) and I have learned some valuable lessons with this new job...so would A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff be a close enough fit?

message 6: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Ok, I am trying to determine how close something needs to be related to the memory. 2 of my closest friends got married this year and the weddings/planning/bridal parties were awesome. Can I read a book where planning a wedding or a wedding is a main feature?

message 7: by Christine US (last edited Dec 01, 2010 08:15AM) (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Meghan: While I don't particularily see the relation, I'm not currently in your life to understand what your job is vs. her job of running a clothing/retail store in the book. If you feel there is something in the novel that reminds you of something positive that happened to you in the past year -- I'm fine with it.
My goal is really to just have people thinking about the happy things that happened in their lives this past year, since the world seems to be full of depressing news.

message 8: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Rachel: Absolutely. If reading a book about someone planning (or in) a wedding can make you remember the weddings you were invited to, then I'm 100% fine with it.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Does it need to be fiction for Part A? For example, I went to Atlantic City with a friend over the summer, so could I read a nonfiction book about the history of AC?

message 10: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) If I chose our family Thanksgiving as my positive experience, would something like Making Haste from Babylon work for the first part?

message 11: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Does it need to be fiction for Part A? For example, I went to Atlantic City with a friend over the summer, so could I read a nonfiction book about the history of AC?

Fiction or non-fiction are both acceptable.

message 12: by Christine US (last edited Dec 01, 2010 08:56AM) (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments If I chose our family Thanksgiving as my positive experience, would something like Making Haste from Babylon work for the first part?

Yes, I think a book involving Pilgrims & the Mayflower is an excellent match to a Thankgiving experience.

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Christine US wrote: "Does it need to be fiction for Part A? For example, I went to Atlantic City with a friend over the summer, so could I read a nonfiction book about the history of AC?

Fiction or non-fiction are ..."

Yay! Thanks :3

message 14: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Can it be the same setting? If I took a family vacation to the beach can I read Sea Glass for the first part?

message 15: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Can it be the same setting? If I took a family vacation to the beach can I read Sea Glass for the first part?

Yes. A memory from the beach matches with a book set on the beach.

message 16: by Dee (last edited Dec 01, 2010 09:41AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7855 comments i guess my positive experience would be getting my masters/starting my phd...not sure of a book right now - but would one featuring a student in a higher ed situation like that count? or an adult who is attending school and working like how I did it?

for part b...does the author have to be a new one that you've only read one book of in 2010, or if you have read more than 1 book by them since then, does it still count? i.e. I read Karen Marie Moning for the first time in 2010, but i've read a few books by her since then...otherwise i'm going to use Richelle Mead

message 17: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments Read a second book by an author you read for the first time in 2010 (including December).

Can I read, in December, a book by someone I read the first book from earlier in the year? Or do I have to wait until January, then use my whole list?

message 18: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i guess my positive experience would be getting my masters/starting my phd...not sure of a book right now - but would one featuring a student in a higher ed situation like that count? or an adult ..."

Either of those scenarios is fine.

My intent was for it to be reading a second book by the author, so someone that you have only read once before.

message 19: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Joanna wrote: "Read a second book by an author you read for the first time in 2010 (including December).

Can I read, in December, a book by someone I read the first book from earlier in the year? Or do I hav..."

You can read it in December

message 20: by Liz (last edited Dec 01, 2010 10:20AM) (new)

Liz This year has been pretty uneventful since my husband is in school - we haven't been able to travel (except back & forth from our home to school each month). The best experience I've probably had this year is trying to be happy with the here & now & making the most out of everyday life (I had one particularly good month of doing this, & it was the best part of the year for me & my family). Could I read The Happiness Project for part A? The description sounds pretty much just like what I've been trying to do this year, & it's made all the difference in my life (sorry to sound so cheesy, but it's true :).

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra One of my favorite memories of this year is going on a hiking vacation with my step-dad. He lives on "The Island" (as Vancouver Island is known here) and the trip was on The Island.
Does the plot of the book have to relate to the memory or can I read the book The Island, which reminds me of the memory through it's title, for Part A?

message 22: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Liz wrote: "This year has been pretty uneventful since my husband is in school - we haven't been able to travel (except back & forth from our home to school each month). The best experience I've probably had t..."

If you can relate to it, then it works! Just be sure to give the same type of description in the post so the moderators understand.

message 23: by Christine US (last edited Dec 01, 2010 10:37AM) (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Petra wrote: "One of my favorite memories of this year is going on a hiking vacation with my step-dad. He lives on "The Island" (as Vancouver Island is known here) and the trip was on The Island.
Does the plot ..."

Using the name of the place & book to relate is acceptable. The goal is to be able to help you recall the memory -- and if seeing the title The Island will bring up the memory, then it works!
It might help to explain the part about Vancouver Island being called "The Island" to locals so the explanation is obvious to the moderators when they are reading the posts.

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7855 comments ok thanks! guess i'm reading the next richelle mead book that I just bought yesterday

Christine US wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i guess my positive experience would be getting my masters/starting my phd...not sure of a book right now - but would one featuring a student in a higher ed s..."

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz Thanks!

message 26: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i guess my positive experience would be getting my masters/starting my phd...not sure of a book right now - but would one featuring a student in a higher ed situation like that count? or an adult ..."

Dee - You could read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane for part A. The main character is working on her phd.

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7855 comments thanks! I was going to do that, or someone working in the psychology field, since that is what my phd is in

Lahni wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i guess my positive experience would be getting my masters/starting my phd...not sure of a book right now - but would one featuring a student in a higher ed s..."

message 28: by Petra (new)

Petra Christine US wrote: "Using the name of the place & book to relate is acceptable. The goal is to be able to help you recall the memory -- and if seeing the title The Island will bring up the memory, then it works!
It might help to explain the part about Vancouver Island being called "The Island" to locals so the explanation is obvious to the moderators when they are reading the posts. ..."

Thanks! I'll be sure to mention the connection.

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Okay, I am reading Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series for this challenge. I have never read him before so he is a new author to me this year. I have the second book placed elsewhere in this challenge. Could I put the third or forth book here or does it have to be the second.

message 30: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments My number one memory from 2010 is being pregnant. As most woman in this condition I enjoyed sweets etc so would Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl work for part A?
Part B the only one Margaret Atwood:)

message 31: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Aleksandra wrote: "My number one memory from 2010 is being pregnant. As most woman in this condition I enjoyed sweets etc so would Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl work for part A?
Part ..."

LOL!!!

message 32: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Kathryn wrote: "Okay, I am reading Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series for this challenge. I have never read him before so he is a new author to me this year. I have the second book placed elsewhere in this chall..."

The concept is to read your 2nd book by that person. Let me think about it for a little bit -- it would affect some other answers too, and I want to find a way to address all questions/answers in one swoop.

message 33: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Aleksandra wrote: "My number one memory from 2010 is being pregnant. As most woman in this condition I enjoyed sweets etc so would Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl work for part A?
Part ..."

If you enjoyed your pregnancy, then yes it would work.

I'm thinking something like:

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is set (mostly) at a candy factory. I ate a lot of candy while I was pregnant and I loved being pregnant"

message 34: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Christine US wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "My number one memory from 2010 is being pregnant. As most woman in this condition I enjoyed sweets etc so would Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl work..."

Thank You:)

message 35: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments OK, I need a little help guys! My best experience this year has been two weekends at our mountain cabin - one with a group of my dearest friends, each of whom has overcome a life threatening illness this year (a true time of rejoicing) and the second time for a big family Thanksgiving. The name of our cabin is Briar Ridge if that helps - any books about cabins, Thanksgiving, help.

message 36: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3029 comments I did a 5k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving this year for hunger. Anyone have any idea of what I can read?

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Can we wait until the end of the year and do a memory that might possibly happen during the Christmas season?

message 38: by Christine US (last edited Dec 01, 2010 01:13PM) (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments There is a book called The Cabin.

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons involves a group of good friends -- one of whom does get seriously ill, and I do remember them taking a vacation as a group.

I've only read Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons, but it was wonderful:)

message 39: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacyct) | 116 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I did a 5k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving this year for hunger. Anyone have any idea of what I can read?"

Maybe a book about running? Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen is a great read.

message 40: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Kathryn wrote: "Can we wait until the end of the year and do a memory that might possibly happen during the Christmas season?"

Absolutely.

message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Great. I am going home for the hoidays for the first time in a couple years and I am anticipating some good memories!

message 42: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Kathryn wrote: "Okay, I am reading Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series for this challenge. I have never read him before so he is a new author to me this year. I have the second book placed elsewhere in this chall..."

A change was made to the task that the requirement is that you read your first book by this author in 2010, but you don't have to read your 2nd for this task. So you can use a later book in the Thursday next series for this.

message 43: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I did a 5k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving this year for hunger. Anyone have any idea of what I can read?"

The Great Turkey Walk This is what first came to my mind. :)

message 44: by Melissa W (last edited Dec 01, 2010 02:24PM) (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) I am planning on reading Nazi Games: The Olympics of 1936Nazi Games: The Olympics of 1936 by David Clay Large due to the fact that Vancouver just hosted the 2010 Winter Olympics. Is it okay that I read something on the Summer Olympics even though Vancouver was a Winter Games? (I live about an hour east of Vancouver)

message 45: by Petra (new)

Petra Hey, Melissa.....we're practically neighbours! Small world!

message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Christine US wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Okay, I am reading Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series for this challenge. I have never read him before so he is a new author to me this year. I have the second book placed elsewhe..."

Great! Thank you!!!

message 47: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments How personal does it have to be? The best thing that happened this year is that we finally got some decent rain. Could I read a book about people waiting for a drought to break?

message 48: by Christine US (last edited Dec 02, 2010 05:43AM) (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Melissa W wrote: "I am planning on reading Nazi Games: The Olympics of 1936Nazi Games: The Olympics of 1936 by David Clay Large due to the fact that Vancouver just hosted ..."

I can see how an Olympics-related book, no matter the season, could lead to recollection and memories of the Olympics that just happened. I think it's fine.

message 49: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments Stacy wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I did a 5k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving this year for hunger. Anyone have any idea of what I can read?"

Maybe a book about running? [book:Born to Run: A Hidden Tri..."

I HIGHLY recommend that book if you enjoy running at all. I am also going to use a running memory (did my first half-marathon this year) and wish I hadn't already read that book :).

message 50: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Coralie wrote: "How personal does it have to be? The best thing that happened this year is that we finally got some decent rain. Could I read a book about people waiting for a drought to break?"

Coralie -- If that is truly the most positive experience you had this past year, then a book about surviving a drough it fine.

If you enjoyed participating in the book challenges, you could certainly read a book about...well books:) or about an author, or someone working on a novel.

The Thirteenth Tale jumps to mind, but I'm sure there are hundreds of others.

« previous 1