The Sword and Laser discussion

How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe
2010 Reads > SFU: if you have dibs

Comments (showing 1-37 of 37) (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad T. (last edited Nov 29, 2010 12:45PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Brad T. | 217 comments In the book, the narrator describes how when he was a kid, his circle of friends would pick who they got to be in their play time. First dibs always got Han Solo, except for one stupid kid who picked Buck Rodgers. Who would you be in a science fiction world if you could be any character? Han Solo is off limits. Chewbacca too!

i got dibs on Malcomb Reynolds from Firefly!

John | 43 comments I recall many fights over who got to be Starbuck, the loser being stuck with Apollo.

So I call dibs on the suave, cigar-chomping Starbuck!

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1210 comments John wrote: "I recall many fights over who got to be Starbuck, the loser being stuck with Apollo.

So I call dibs on the suave, cigar-chomping Starbuck!"

Are we talking about the original BSG? My friends thought Starbuck was so sexy, but I preferred Apollo. He was not only better looking, but he was a much better man.

I call dibs on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1385 comments Mod
I was always Raphael, the Ninja Turtle. Does that count?

John | 43 comments Original Starbuck. New Starbuck is more crazy than suave. Although I do find her pretty sexy myself.

message 6: by Sean (last edited Nov 29, 2010 09:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 2238 comments Brad wrote: "In the book, the narrator describes how when he was a kid, his circle of friends would pick who they got to be in their play time. First dibs always got Han Solo, except for one stupid kid who pic..."

Reminds me of the beginning of Free Enterprise (nsfw language).

Personally, I'd be Spock or R2D2.

message 7: by George (new)

George Van Wagner (GVDub) | 26 comments Interesting question. I'm calling dibs on Evelyn Cyril (Oscar) Gordon from Glory Road. Get to do inter-dimensional travel, win a duel with Cyrano de Bergerac, and cohabit with the gorgeous Queen of the Universe.

message 8: by Charles (new)

Charles (CharlesH) | 13 comments First choice, Kimball Kinnison. No shades of grey, except the uniform. Shoot the bad guys first, decades before Han Solo. Interesting friends who have your back. Marry the strong hot redhead, who after five children, is still hot AND fine with her husband running off on adventures. Retire as the virtual Emperor of an entire galaxy.

Second choice, John Taylor. With a best friend like Razor Eddie (Punk God of the Straight Razor), a girlfriend named Shotgun Suzie ("Oh Christ its her, RUN!!!"), and Hell is a vacation from the Nightside, it's always interesting.

Brad T. | 217 comments Tarl Cabot from the Gor series would have been a good choice if I hadn't wanted to be clubbed over the head by the female readers.

message 10: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Brad wrote: "Tarl Cabot from the Gor series would have been a good choice if I hadn't wanted to be clubbed over the head by the female readers."

Jar Jar Binks for me!

Patrick (HalfAdd3r) | 89 comments I started reading WAY too young. I always wanted to be Case or Count Zero from the Neuromancer series.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason | 14 comments Hmmmm, dibs on Duncan Idaho (Dune series). Multi-life, sword master, mentat, complete sexual control, and eventually Kwisatz Haderach and uniter of the machines and humans.

Kevin Ashby | 110 comments John wrote: "Original Starbuck. New Starbuck is more crazy than suave. Although I do find her pretty sexy myself."

Blech! she is so nasty!

message 14: by Jay (new)

Jay A. Yap (Yaplaugh) | 5 comments My dibs is for Hiro Protagonist. Pizza, Swords and Hacking--the perfect combination for a great night of fun.

message 15: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments I want to be a male Molly Millions, call me Magnus. Razor blade fingernails, enhanced nervous system and musculature, and built in mirror shades. Could i be Morpheus from the first movie, when he had a sense of humor? Corwin of Amber always seemed cool, consistent with my idea of the whole entirety of creation revolving around me...

Donald (walsfeo) | 37 comments Brad wrote: "Tarl Cabot from the Gor series would have been a good choice if I hadn't wanted to be clubbed over the head by the female readers."

Bold choice!

message 17: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikespencer) | 60 comments Dibs on Harry Dresden!

message 18: by Donald (last edited Dec 03, 2010 07:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Donald (walsfeo) | 37 comments Dibs on the Green Lantern. That's who I chose when we did this on the playground as a kid, I love the versatility of the ring powers and unassisted space flight would be mighty.

message 19: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Yes Donald! The Green Lantern was my absolute favourite Super Hero when I was growing up in the sixties. Hal Jordan was my Green Lantern and of course I memorised the oath from an early age.
Altogether now....
In brightest day and blackest...........

message 20: by Tina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tina (javabird) | 497 comments Dang, Sandi already called dibs on Buffy.

I call dibs on Princess Leia.

message 21: by Eric (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eric Gardner | 113 comments I can't believe no one said Boba Fett yet.

I think as a kid I would probably have said Tigra from the Thundercats. Dude has a retracting whip that makes him invisible and I think it shoots fire or something. Their furry society is kind of creepy looking at it as an adult. They probably all slept in some kind of freaky cat pile.

message 22: by Derek (new)

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments Hey! Some people don't mind 'furry' fun. ;-)

message 23: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1935 comments Dibs on Dr. Who.

message 24: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Piegan | 9 comments Dibs on Worf.

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1210 comments Stephen wrote: "Dibs on Worf."

Worf is hot.

Donald (walsfeo) | 37 comments And on this week's episode, Worf gets beaten up by some boxes. Then they moved him to DS9 and he became mighty.

Andrew (Frontline) | 129 comments Mine fluctuates, I would say for most of my life it would have been Obi Wan Kenobi. He's an ass kicker, but still a bit reserved and conventional. However right now...

I call dibs on Commander Shepard. (and this is my favorite store on the Citadel)

message 28: by Al (new)

Al | 159 comments Dibs on Tito from Spook Country (Gibson). Just got far enough to understand this thread.

message 29: by Curt (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Dibs on Valentine Michael Smith. Can you grok that?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

The Incredible Hulk. Just so I can go around, destroy things, and then blame it on my inner rage.

Nukethewhalesagain | 27 comments I was always trying to be the smart one of the group or the leader. Donatello as a ninja turtle and Cyclops as an X-Man.

Corey Mckinney | 3 comments Dibs on random Red Shirt.

No wait...

John (john) (DowdyKitchenMan) | 119 comments Corey wrote: "Dibs on random Red Shirt.

No wait..."

ROFL

I gotta go for Iron Man

Scott (smrathburn) | 34 comments Chuck Norris!

message 35: by Jlawrence, S&L Forum Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jlawrence | 905 comments Mod
Dibs on Lucky Wander Boy.

message 36: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin Kelly (literateknits) | 10 comments Dibbs on Belle! Unless we're playing superheroes instead of princesses, then I wanna be Robin.

message 37: by Ben (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ben | 116 comments Yo, whatever, man. I'll take Buck Rogers over Han Solo. The ladies all dug him.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Glory Road (other topics)