Books on the Nightstand discussion

How do you…?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2841 comments Mod
choose the next book with the ever increasing TBR list? From the top of the pile? the bottom? eenie, meenie, miney, mo? which is due at the library and can't be renewed?

Please share.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie With over 2000 books on my list, I go by mood and what my goodreads friends/groups are reading. My library has an amazing assortment of ebooks, so with a couple of clicks I can read just about anything I feel like reading using my nook. I am always reading about 4-6 books at a time, one of these being a CHUNKSTER. :)

message 3: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (brandonsears) I have a lot of books in my TBR list that I haven't actually picked up yet..so, I just read what I've physically got on hand and then go from there. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've struggled with Reading Management for years! In the past, I've tried lists, groups, book clubs, challenges and even random.org to try and help me conquer the TBR stacks; but for every title I manage to tackle, it seems another two, three or four books show up to take its place!

message 5: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 330 comments I keep a huge TBR list on Goodreads (before that it was on paper and then it was in a hyperlinked and cross-referenced word doc. Have I mentioned my obsessiveness?) Sadly, I don't always even pick from my TBR list which continues to swell against the seams as a result. I try to plan ahead and get a stack from the library based on what I will want to read in the immediate future. And just as often I'll be in the library or book store and randomly see something and be like "THIS. This is next."

message 6: by Eve (last edited Nov 23, 2010 08:38AM) (new)

Eve (kristinjp) | 15 comments In the past I've been pretty random about what I read next, but my strategy has changed since I got my Kindle. My goal in purchasing it was to start getting more of my paper books done and out of the house (when applicable--I do keep some) without any new ones coming in.

So, right now I'm staying out of the library and bookstore while I plow my way through the probably hundreds of books I already own but haven't read. I can buy a new one on my Kindle for every two-three paper books I read (and most of those are book group books right now).

I still don't have much of a strategy for choosing what I read next other than to get it off my own bookshelf. It just depends on how the mood strikes me when I finish a book. I usually look for a different genre than the one I just finished for my fiction choice. Non-fiction often gets read in subject waves, so I will frequently go to the next book I have on the same subject once I finish one. I only read two books at a time--one fiction and one nonfiction.

message 7: by Eve (new)

Eve (kristinjp) | 15 comments I guess I could also add my strategy for keeping track of what I want to read next on the Kindle. When I see or hear about a new book I want to read, I download the sample to my Kindle. Then when it's time to buy a new Kindle book I choose one of the samples to start reading. If I like it, I buy the whole book. If I don't, I delete the sample and choose another one.

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Brady (dawnallyn) | 22 comments My strategy is determined mostly by fatigue. If I have a lot of time and I'm not too busy, I will pick a book with more meat to it. If I'm tired and busy, I will pick one that's an easy read - something to not really think too much about and just enjoy. Those books are read quickly and are replenished often. Unfortunately, some really good books get bumped to the bottom.

message 9: by Esther (last edited Nov 25, 2010 05:49AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) I love to make reading lists and then totally ignore them. I've given up on reading challenges because I have failed every one I have tried.
I work in the library and as I am re-shelving books 'call out' to me so I take them but by the time I get home I have decided on something else.
I long for my pre-teen days when I read a book a day, had read every book I owned as well as a decent chunk from my mother's and grandmother's bookshelves.
Then my only problems were finding a polite way of asking every gift-giving relative to send me book tokens and convincing the librarian that I should be allowed to take out 3 times as many books as any 'normal' child.