What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind (Shabanu, #1)
This topic is about Shabanu
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Title was a girl's name... [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 2 comments I read this book in 6th grade. The subject was a young female (early teens?) who lives in India, the Middle East... somewhere along those lines. It was fiction, a "coming-of-age" story. I vividly remember a scene involving a hermaphrodite. I think the book is geared towards young adults but it could be for adults. Help???

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (thisisthatverymab) | 76 comments This is a shot in the dark but is it ...

Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind by Suzanne Fisher Staples?

Jessica (jessdaygeorge) | 180 comments I was also going to say Shabanu! She goes to a fair wih her father, and gets a treat of spiced rose petals wrapped in silver paper from a woman who leans forward and Shabanu sees that it is really a man.

The main plot of the story, though, is that she and her sister have long been contracted to marry their second cousins, but when they go for her sister's wedding, there is an attack and the older cousin dies. Now her sister will marry the younger cousin, while the diplomat who comes settle the dispute falls in love with Shabanu. He is older and already has three wives, and Shabanu wants to run away.

Does that sound right?

message 4: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 2 comments I believe that's the book! Thank you!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Suzanne Fisher Staples (other topics)