Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > Read Around the World Challenge

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Nov 19, 2010 12:59PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
We did (or working on) Read Around the USA, so now time to move on to Reading Around the World. I'm giving us 6 months for this one, so we aren't too pressured on time. Let's say from now until End of May 2011. And to make it a little easier, I'm going to fudge a little on both Antartica and Australia to open up another option for you. You can choose one option, or both. Up to you how many books you want to read, to do one option or both. It's also up to you if you want to use only mysteries or not.

Read Around the World Challenge
Nov 19, 2010 - May 31, 2011

Option #1
Around the World in 80 Days.
Read a book set somewhere on each continent.

Asia:
Africa:
North America:
South America:
Europe:
Australia (will include New Zealand):
Antarctica (will include Artic/North Pole):

Option #2
Tour the Continent. Read books set in 7 countries scattered around Europe. This includes Iceland, Ireland, and England as it is not limited to mainland Europe.

message 2: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3906 comments Mod
I think that, in this case, I'll try Europe, as I've done the challenge around the world some months ago. I have one set in Spain (a boy in other forum, so I'll begin with that, I imagine). Agatha Christie can be OK for some other countries, too ;)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Lol...this happens just after I finish the Passport to Peril series! More books to start searching out. I'm pretty sure I'll do Europe as well too.

message 4: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Nov 19, 2010 02:57PM) (new)

I'm doing this in another group, obviously using any book not just mysteries and only have one Europeon country to go to finish both. To me, Antartica was the hardest. More books, especially thrillers are set in the Artic (ie North Pole not South).

To go along with our featured author this month, quite a few Murder, She Wrote books take place not only across the USA but in various foreign countries as well like Murder, She Wrote: Highland Fling Murders, Murder, She Wrote: Provence to Die for, Murder, She Wrote: Murder in Moscow, or The Queen's Jewels.

message 5: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Thank you for the hint, I see you've covered France, Russia and Great Britain (two books) :D I guess Great Britain is the easiest one (well, in my case Spain and I have at least two books to read there ;) )

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments If we do the Option 1, I already read Asia, the Kitchen Chinese set in China, Beijing by Ann Mah. Would Africa entail Botswana, like the Ladies' Detective Series? Haven't got North America or South America yet. The Rape of Europa for Europe. No Australia yet, Could South American be like a Frida Kahlo book? Just curious, am I on the right track?

message 7: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Yes, Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency is perfect for Africa. No idea what Frida Kahlo's books are, but otherwise you are definetly on the right track.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments Frida Kahlo was the Spanish artist who was married to Diego Rivera. Salma Hayek played her in the movie. Okay, thanks for the information.

message 9: by Shay (last edited Nov 20, 2010 05:38AM) (new)

Shay | 408 comments Arnaldur Indriðason has a series set in Reykjavik, Iceland. They're not cozies, though. The Amelia Peabody series is set in Egypt- Africa.

There are many series set in Asia:
The Case of the Missing Servant: A Vish Puri Mystery by Tarquin Hall. India.
Inspector Singh Investigates series by
Shamini Flint set in Malaysia.

For Japan, I.J. Parker and Laura Joh Rowland both write series set in historical Japan.

message 10: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments For Australia: Kerry Greenwood has two series. The Phryne Fisher series, though, I can recall at least one book not set in Australia. The Earthly Delights series has the main character as a baker, so I'm pretty sure all of those are in Australia.

James Rollins has various mysteries set in South America and one, I think, in Antarctica.

message 11: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Robin wrote: "Frida Kahlo was the Spanish artist who was married to Diego Rivera. Salma Hayek played her in the movie. Okay, thanks for the information."

Mexican, not Spanish ;)

message 12: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

For France you have Georges Simenon, although not cozy. For Great Britain you have Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. For Italy you have Andrea Camilleri (not cozy either). For Sweden you have Camilla Läckberg (not cozy either).

message 13: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

One of our previous featured authors wrote the Gideon Oliver series and they take place all over the world, but not having read them I can't tell you where each book is set.

message 14: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments Marisa, sorry for the error. My bad.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Shay wrote: "For Australia: Kerry Greenwood has two series. The Phryne Fisher series, though, I can recall at least one book not set in Australia. The Earthly Delights series has the main charact..."

All the Phryne Fisher series takes place in Australia except for one that's on a cruise ship to New Zealand, Death by Water. Murder in Montparnasse takes place in Melbourne, but with lots of flashbacks to Paris, and a murder that took place there, right after WWI.

message 16: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Robin wrote: "Marisa, sorry for the error. My bad."

No problem with Spanish people, perhaps with Mexican ;)

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments okay, Marisa.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Just to clarify - is it the UK that counts as one country in Europe, or do each of the four countries comprising the UK (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England) count as separate countries for this challenge?

message 19: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Nov 21, 2010 09:33PM) (new)

Let's give a try (a lot with Aaron Elkins ;) ):

United Kingdown: Uneasy Relations (Gibraltar), Unnatural Selection (Wales), or Murder in the Queen's Armes
Italy: Good Blood
France: Skeleton Dance or Old Bones

message 20: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

I've already covered two countries with Agatha Christies's short stories:
Spain: Problem in Pollensa, included in The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories
Monaco: The soul of the croupier, included in The Mysterious Mr. Quin

message 21: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Jennifer-in-oz wrote: "Just to clarify - is it the UK that counts as one country in Europe, or do each of the four countries comprising the UK (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England) count as separate countries for this chal..."

I will let each country individually count.

message 22: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments too many books, unless Bleak House in considered a U.K. book.

message 23: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Dec 13, 2010 12:17PM) (new)

Be careful with Ireland, which of them? ;)

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments I have How Green is my Valley, oh wait that is Wales.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Marisa wrote: "Be careful with Ireland, which of them? ;)"

LOL, I'm not going to differentiate. Ireland is Ireland. :D

message 26: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

My lips are zipped LOL

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Gracias! ;-)

message 28: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments Could it also be poetry, or does it have to be a novel?

message 29: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Poems are usually too short to count although I will let you use novella's or short stories.

message 30: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Dec 21, 2010 09:26PM) (new)

Updated Dec 22, 2010
3 / 7
Spain: Problem in Pollensa, included in The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories
Monaco: The Soul of the Croupier, included in The Mysterious Mr. Quin
France: The World's End, included in The Mysterious Mr. Quin

message 31: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Updated Dec 23, 2010
4 / 7
Spain: Problem in Pollensa, included in The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories by Agatha Christie
Monaco: The Soul of the Croupier, included in The Mysterious Mr. Quin by Agatha Christie
United Kingdom: Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie (12/23 - ****)

message 32: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I guess I'll do Option #2

Austria--A Fatal Waltz by Tasha Alexander

England-- Death on the Lizard by Robin Paige

Italy-- Flying Finish by Dick Francis

A Fatal Waltz (Lady Emily, #3) by Tasha Alexander Death on the Lizard (A Victorian Mystery, #12) by Robin Paige Flying Finish by Dick Francis

message 33: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel | 40 comments so i know this is most lickly a ovouse answer but so is it supose to be set in the country right

message 34: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Cassa wrote: "so i know this is most lickly a ovouse answer but so is it supose to be set in the country right"

Right!

message 35: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel | 40 comments thanks melodie sorry its hard to read my typing sometimes i tpe fast and dont look over it!!

message 36: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel | 40 comments THERE NEED TO BE MORE CHALANGES

message 37: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments We don't run too many challenges at once as we don't want people to feel obligated to spend all their time reading certain kinds of books. Some challenges run for longer periods. Like the read around the world one. We also have a "read the USA" challenge going now, "read the alphabet", one related the Clue board game and "read the season" for Winter. We have one each month that involves themes that relate to the month somehow and also a different featured author each month whose books you can try.

message 38: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Thanks Melodie for answering Cassa's question. You're exactly right. I don't want to run too many all at once, especially as quite a few of the big challenges we are running, folks want to fill using only mysteries, making them even more challenging.

message 39: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel | 40 comments ok thats resonable

message 40: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Updated Apr 24, 2011
5 / 7
Spain: Problem in Pollensa, included in The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories by Agatha Christie
Monaco: The Soul of the Croupier, included in The Mysterious Mr. Quin by Agatha Christie
United Kingdom: Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie (12/23 - ★★★★)
Germany: Borrower of the Night by Elizabeth Peters (04/24/2011 - ★★)

message 41: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Updated May 5, 2011
6 / 7
Italy: Flying Finish by Dick Francis (05/05/2011 - ★★)

message 42: by Robin (new)

Robin Allen Oh, fun challenge! But I'm a little late. I don't think I'll read all of these by the end of May, but it's nice to stretch my to-read list.

Asia: The Death of Achilles by Boris Akunin
Africa: Death on Tour by Janice Hamrick
North America: Frozen Sun by Stan Jones
South America: The Moche Warrior by Lyn Hamilton
Europe: The Copenhagen Connection by Elizabeth Peters
Australia (will include New Zealand): Blood Junction by Caroline Carver
Antarctica (will include Artic/North Pole): In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery From The Last Continent by Sarah Andrews

message 43: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Kari!

message 44: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Congratulations Kari.

message 45: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited May 18, 2011 03:00AM) (new)

Done Option #2

Italy: Flying Finish by Dick Francis (05/05/2011 - ★★)
Sweden: Nadie lo ha visto by Mari Jungstedt (05/18/2011 - ★)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Congrats Marisa! :)