The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.4 - Donna Jo's task: By the Numbers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 21, 2010 09:33AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments 30.4 -- Donna Jo’s Task -- By the Numbers
For this task you will need to read two books.
Book A. If the last digit of your birth year is odd, read a book by an author whose last name starts with one of the following letters: A, C,E,G,I,K,M,O,Q,S,U,W,Y.
If the last digit of your birth year is even, read a book by an author whose last name starts with one of the following letters: B,D,F,H,J,L,N,P,R,T,V,X,Z.
Required: When claiming points, you need not give us your birth year. Just state if it is odd or even.

Book B. Take your phone number, add all of the digits together (9+1+3+4+0+6+7+7+0+7=44) and add those digits together (4+4=8) until you get a single digit. Use that number to look for a book title with that number of words in it. You may use the subtitle if you need to. If you do not have a telephone number, write me in the task help section and I'll "give" you one. Required: When claiming points, do NOT give your phone number. Just state the single digit number you got when you added all the numbers together.

(PS, this is NOT my real phone number, so please do not try to call me using it.)

message 2: by Donna Jo (last edited Nov 27, 2010 06:04AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Hyphenated words count as one word.
For purposes of this task only, numerals count as one word--whether it consists of one digit or four (2010: Odyssey Two: Science fiction, Arthur C. Clarke, 2001: A Space Odyssey (novel), Hugo Award, Hugo Award for Best Novel, 2010 (film), Andrei Sakharov--2001 counts as one word).

You need to count A, An and The if they are present.
The use of subtitles or : A Novel is optional.
Words with apostrophes, either contractions (don't) or possessives (Alice's), count as one word

message 3: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Reserved for disapproved books and comments.

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments This thread is now open.

message 5: by Lahni (last edited Nov 20, 2010 11:07PM) (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Does Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood count at 6 or 7 words? (I need 7)

Or how about I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced?

message 6: by Donna Jo (last edited Nov 21, 2010 07:57AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Lahni wrote: "Does Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood count at 6 or 7 words? (I need 7)

Or how about I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced?"

Lahni, I am going to count hyphenated words as one word. So Ya-ya is one word, so title is 6 words.
For numbers written as numerals, 10 is ten is one word. so title is 7 words

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7851 comments I found this one for 7 words - The Care and Feeding of Unmarried Men - never read the author before so it could be interesting

message 8: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments So Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will count as six words?

message 9: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "I found this one for 7 words - The Care and Feeding of Unmarried Men - never read the author before so it could be interesting"

Hmmm. Love the title.

message 10: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "So Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will count as six words?"

Yes, six words it is.

message 11: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments What happens if I get 10? Do I have to find a 1 letter word book?

message 12: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Jennifer N. wrote: "What happens if I get 10? Do I have to find a 1 letter word book?"

You still have a two digit number, so you have to add the 1 + 0 to get 1. So a 1 word book title.

message 13: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3028 comments I got a 10 too. I went with a 10 word title. That was not easy.

message 14: by Megan (last edited Nov 21, 2010 09:09AM) (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Jennifer N. wrote: "What happens if I get 10? Do I have to find a 1 letter word book?"

I had to go back and reread it before I got that it was "words" and not "letters" (after I spent all kinds of time last night looking for an 8-letter title lol).

message 15: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I got a 10 too. I went with a 10 word title. That was not easy."

You still have a two digit number, so you have to add the 1 + 0 to get 1. So a 1 word book title.

message 16: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Jennifer N. wrote: "What happens if I get 10? Do I have to find a 1 letter word book?"

It's a one-word title. I had to go back and reread it before I got that it was "words" and not "letters" (aft..."

LOL! One letter titles are even more diabolical than I wanted to be.

message 17: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3028 comments When I added my phone number I got 46 add the 4+6, I got 10 total.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "Jennifer N. wrote: "What happens if I get 10? Do I have to find a 1 letter word book?"

It's a one-word title. I had to go back and reread it before I got that it was "words" ..."

I know, I was thinking about that when I first saw it and thought it was "letters." As in, "How the heck would I find that!?" I'd probably try to find something that had numbers or something in it lol

message 19: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3028 comments So the final number is supposed to be single digit?

message 20: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "When I added my phone number I got 46 add the 4+6, I got 10 total."

Then add 1 + 0 to get the single digit 1.

message 21: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3028 comments okay, I can live with a one word book.

message 22: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "okay, I can live with a one word book."

I'm sorry the wording in the task was off--I'm asking Kristi to change it.

message 23: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Do subtitles count? or :A Novel?

message 24: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Jennifer N. wrote: "Do subtitles count? or :A Novel?"

You may use a subtitle or : A Novel if you need to.

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 128 comments Do articles count? For example, I got the number 2 and I wanted to read The Heretic Queen. Would "the" count as a word or can i nix it?

message 26: by Donna Jo (last edited Nov 21, 2010 03:47PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Jackie wrote: "Do articles count? For example, I got the number 2 and I wanted to read The Heretic Queen. Would "the" count as a word or can i nix it?"

The words A, An, and The should all be counted if they are there.

message 27: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Jackie wrote: "Do articles count? For example, I got the number 2 and I wanted to read The Heretic Queen. Would "the" count as a word or can i nix it?"

Maybe you could use that book for the "Q" task.

message 28: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 128 comments I'll find another one Donna Jo, thanks! And yes the Q task would be perfect, but I also wanted to read the White Queen. So many queens so little space!

message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7851 comments that's always the just because task...read any book just because

message 30: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments And we still have all the 20 and 25 pt tasks to be listed.

message 31: by Melissa W (last edited Nov 23, 2010 11:32PM) (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) Would 1980 be considered to be an even year?

message 32: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Melissa W wrote: "Would 1980 be considered to be an even year?"

Yes, count years ending in 0 as an even year.

message 33: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2144 comments What about 's ? That is, would Assassin's Apprentice be 2 words or 3?

message 34: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Deedee wrote: "What about 's ? That is, would Assassin's Apprentice be 2 words or 3?"

Assassin's Apprentice is 2 words.

message 35: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments For my 3-word title, I assume the The at the beginning of titles counts? (The Courteous Cad, etc.)

message 36: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "For my 3-word title, I assume the The at the beginning of titles counts? (The Courteous Cad, etc.)"

Yes, please count the beginning words A, An and The.

message 37: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Sweet, thanks!

message 38: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammylee76) | 51 comments what about a title such as Getting the Pretty Back: Friendship, Family, and Finding the Perfect Lipstick? would it be considered 4 words or 11?

message 39: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Pam wrote: "what about a title such as Getting the Pretty Back: Friendship, Family, and Finding the Perfect Lipstick? would it be considered 4 words or 11?"

Pam, you can use it either way, but since you should only have a 1 digit number--4 will be it.

message 40: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammylee76) | 51 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Pam wrote: "what about a title such as Getting the Pretty Back: Friendship, Family, and Finding the Perfect Lipstick? would it be considered 4 words or 11?"

Pam, you can use it e..."

Thanks Donna Jo! That's what I was hoping the answer would be! :D

message 41: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18110 comments Mod
Does the subtitle have to appear on Goodreads? The title is question appears on Goodreads as After the Falls but appears with the subtitle "Coming of Age in the Sixties" on Amazon

I have a few candidates for my 9 word title.

message 42: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments For the sake of the moderators, I'm going to say it has to appear on Goodreads.

message 43: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18110 comments Mod
Donna Jo wrote: "For the sake of the moderators, I'm going to say it has to appear on Goodreads."

Good call-Thanks!

message 44: by Kim (last edited Jan 26, 2011 07:44PM) (new)

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 731 comments For part B, I got a 9, can I use

The Forbidden Game: The Hunter, The Chase; The Kill?

It reads that way on the front cover but on Goodreads it comes up as The Forbidden Game (The Hunter, The Chase, The Kill)

Just want to make sure, I just started it & it's really good but also really long (750+ pages). If I read that and then find I cannot use it that would be a bummer!
Thanks!

The Forbidden Game (The Hunter; The Chase; The Kill) by L.J. Smith

message 45: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Kim wrote: "For part B, I got a 9, can I use

The Forbidden Game: The Hunter, The Chase; The Kill?

It reads that way on the front cover but on Goodreads it comes up as The Forbidden Game (The Hunter, The..."

Kim, I'm sorry but I had ruled earlier that the title had to be as it appeared in Goodreads. It sounds like you are really enjoying it, so I hope you can find another place for it.

message 46: by Kim (new)

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 731 comments Thanks Donna Jo. I'll try to put it somewhere else because I can't put it down now that I've started it.
Do you think it would count as 1 big book or 3 books, since this is a trilogy placed into one book?

message 47: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Kim wrote: "Thanks Donna Jo. I'll try to put it somewhere else because I can't put it down now that I've started it.
Do you think it would count as 1 big book or 3 books, since this is a trilogy placed int..."

I think the moderators have said that if it is bound in one volume it counts as one book. I think there is a ruling to that effect in the General questions, but you might want to check there for sure.

message 48: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1793 comments Ok my phone number can be reduced to the number 5. Can I read "Shakespeare: the World as Stage" for part b?

message 49: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Cindie wrote: "Ok my phone number can be reduced to the number 5. Can I read "Shakespeare: the World as Stage" for part b?"

You certainly can. Enjoy.

message 50: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 4 comments I think I will do these 2 (the first one might change since its going to about a week until I can start on either)

1)A Very Simple Crime by Grant Jerkins (for even)
2)Cinders by Michelle Davidson Argyle (for 1)

« previous 1