Clean Reads discussion

Could NOT put it down...

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 75 comments So, tell me about the books you've read in your life that kept you up till 3 a.m. reading, or allowed the laundry and dishes to pile up (more than usual...), that you kept replaying in your head even after you finished reading it, that you would read again and again and again, etc.

The first one I did that with was the first of the Harry Potter Books.

Hunger Games and its sequels.

The Giver - read it in one afternoon - so glad the baby was taking good naps at that point...

I'll think of more and add to the list. What are you "can't put down" favorites?

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (emarsh13) The Alchemist -- amazing!

Peace LIke a River - I can't believe this is his first novel. This author has TALENT!

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - such a sweet story, I didn't want to stop reading

Les Miserables - I don't think there's a better storyteller than Victor Hugo.

(Hangs Head in Shame) Bitter is the New Black - The language is horrendously awful, the author is spoiled and crass, but I laughed so hard I snorted. And woke my husband up at 3 am. And then I got my own, because a really, really big bug with lots and lots of legs ran across my chest and my husband wouldn't get up and kill it for me.

I LOVE this thread! What a great idea -- and I'm with you on Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. Those are staples in my reading lineup!

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Madsen | 4 comments Hey! First ever comment! I'm ditto on HP & Hunger Games. Do I have to hang head in shame to say that the Twilight series was that for me? I've also done that with: Imprints (Rachel Ann Nunes), the Mortal Instruments series, The Last Song (for Nicholas Sparks, this was a clean book, but...), and I actually read Charlie's Monument recently this way... everyone got ignored.

Have you discussed the UNcleanread of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, et. al.? Started it, got a few hundred pages in, totally interested in story, and had to throw the book down, return the sequel to the library, and cancel my request for the 3rd book. =)

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (Avid7Reader) | 30 comments Wake, Fade, and Gone by Lisa McMann. Not very clean language wise, but the plot and writing style sucked me in and wouldn't let me go.
Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Absolutely fantastic. Unique plot gripped me. Not for the squeamish, however.
The Warrior Heir, The Wizard Heir, and The Dragon Heir by Cinda Williams Chima. Fantastic series. As far as I can remember, they were clean, but I tend to skim the unclean parts such that I forget them immediately.
I also second The Mortal Instruments series and third HP and Hunger Games

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Madsen | 4 comments Oh! And I'm reading one right now... the Hourglass Door by Lisa Mangum. the sequel is the Golden Spiral I haven't read yet, but I'm excited. Third book not out. Have to roll your eyes at all the romance dripping from it, but not sexual.

message 6: by Becca (new)

Becca | 24 comments Laura, anything I pick up by Neal Shusterman is that way for me! Most recently it was the second book in his skinjacker trilogy Everwild. Intense and so good I read through the night (like til 6 am) to finish it.

message 7: by Tifferz (new)

Tifferz | 16 comments Tigers Curse and Tigers Quest by Colleen Houck

message 8: by Marla (last edited Nov 26, 2010 12:24PM) (new)

Marla | 45 comments I love YA books, I only have to stay up until 1 am, because they are shorter...Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins, The Ruins of Gorlan (The Ranger's Apprentice series) by John Flanagan, Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull, The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series) by Michael Scott, The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride series) by James Patterson and adult fiction that are not necessarily clean, 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club series) by James Patterson and Knowledge of Angels by Jill Paton Walsh and for non-fictions, Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jan Krakauer and Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza.

I am also a member of the HP, Hunger Games & Twilight fan clubs.

If you aren't opposed to books that aren't clean reads: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, Angels & Demons by Dan Brown,Jacob (Nightwalker series) by Jacquelyn Frank, and Stealing Shadows (Shadows, #1) (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series) by Kay Hooper.

Looking forward to seeing other people's lists!

message 9: by Marla (new)

Marla | 45 comments Laura wrote: "Wake, Fade, and Gone by Lisa McMann. Not very clean language wise, but the plot and writing style sucked me in and wouldn't let me go.
[..."

Thank you to you smart people that include links to your books! I am reading The Heir series now and am enjoying them.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (Avid7Reader) | 30 comments Also like this for me that I just recently remembered: anything by Tamora Pierce or Scott Westerfeld.
And The Roar by Emma Clayton.

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen. I was honored to write a review of this Jane Austen devotee yesterday on the 235th anniversary of Austen's birth.