Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Archived/Extinct Discussions > What things do you like to see a hero do in books that you end up loving?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 156 (156 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9736 comments Mod
Are there scenes you look for in a favorite read for a favorite hero to do?

For example:

*Hero tells the heroine I love you.
*Hero cries when his baby is born.
*Hero gets jealous when another man is talking to the heroine.

message 2: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 4156 comments Mod
Someone has been walking in my head. I was going to do a similiar thread on this line a couple of days ago, but changed my mind.

My answers:

* Hero tells the heroine that he loves her, even if he does it, in a sly way, because he's not sure how she will react to him telling her that he's in love with her.

* Hero gets jealous over any man that looks in the heroine's direction. He's thoughts of killing the other man.

* Cute banter he has with the heroine

* His teasing. The hero tends to know how to make the heroine blush with his teasing

* Hero's possessiveness of the heroine

* Hero's protection

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments I agree I like all those things as well Arch and Danielle. I alos like it when the heroine makes the hero blush, espcially when he is tough and dangerous! I also like it when he tells the heroine the he loves her without expecting her to say it in return, even though she almost always does.

message 4: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
I do like the possessive hero as long as he's not controlling.

I'm a big fan of the "grand gesture" too. You know when hero does that really dumb thing and it looks like it's all over and then he realizes he can't live without her and goes and does some big thing to prove he's serious. Even if it embarasses him.

Yep, love that father thing too. Big Bad Alpha goes weak in the knees over tiny helpless infant.

The hero who has fought against love and commitment suddenly realizes he's in love and gives the "speech" that brings heroine to her knees.

message 5: by Arch (new)

Yes Suzanne, I agree about the heroine making the hero blush.

I have to say, I love how Ash has Sam wrapped around his finger.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Nov 17, 2010 07:45AM) (new)

*I like to see the hero kick some serious butt or do something to prove just how dangerous he is. I like the see the hero try to protect the heroine, even if she's tough enough to protect herself.
*I like to see a hero lose control because he is so in love with the heroine. It does not have to be in the love scene. It could be him blurting something out or doing something really silly b/c he is lovestruck.
*I am all for possessive gestures, so long as it's not a dog in a manger type scenario.
*I love seeing male bonding scenes, for some reason, probably why I like the male brotherhood-type books.
*I like seeing the hero show a good sense of humor, particularly when he can make fun of himself.

I think we are all the same wavelength so far here. I love when the hero makes grand gestures, especially when he tends to be the stoic, in control type.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

*I like to see an evil/really bad hero get redeemed, even though he still has an edge. It's so great when the hero was considered really scary and lost, but he is saved by the love of a good woman.
*I really like the see heroes build things or create things. I love guys who are handy and inventive.

message 8: by Arch (last edited Nov 17, 2010 10:30AM) (new)

* I like to see a hero that's a nerd, not be ashamed of being a nerd. I don't care if the hero is not looked upon amongst his peer as being a nerd. He still lets it be known that he's a nerd. Example: Mike Taggert from Sweet Liar. Just looking at him, you wouldn't think that he's a nerd, but once you start to see how good he is with numbers, you will have no doubt that he's a nerd.

I like to see dangerous bad boy nerds too. Example: Wild Card from Suzanne Brockmann's series. A Navy Seal that can help you with math and bring down a bad boy too.

My sexy nerd from Suzanne's books is Dave Malkoff. He may not have been a Navy Seal, but he does know how to hold his own and he's not afraid to tell you what's on his mind, no matter if you can beat him up. He knows how to use a gun. He's an ex - CIA agent.

Speed from CSI is my Dave. I can imagine Dave walking in Auggie's shoes from USA Covert Affaris show. Not with the woman, but just the way he carries himself.

* I like to see a hero cook.

* I ike when the hero is spoiled to the heroine

* I like it when the hero has a best male friend. I like to see them together. (Sam and Noah)

* I like when the hero is a family man

* I love a sarcastic, sassy, outspoken hero. (Noah Clayborne). He was messy too. :)

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

*I love when the hero is doggedly pursuing the heroine.

message 10: by Arch (last edited Nov 17, 2010 10:37AM) (new)

* I like when the hero gives the heroine a nickname.

* I like when the hero's friends can see that he's in love with her heroine and they tease him.

* I like when the hero gets in trouble with the heroine, because she has witness him being bad, for example: He says something or does something to someone in the front of her.

* I like when the hero doesn't know how to handle, when the heroine gets hurt. Say she gets hurt and is in the hospital. That upsets the hero and sometimes he doesn't know if he wants to punch anybody or the wall.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

There is a scene in Murder Game by Christine Feehan that I love where the hero's buddies are teasing him because he is so in love with the heroine. He thinks she smells like cinnamon, so they are teasing him and singing, "Cinnamon Girl." It's a great scene because you can see how close the guys are and how they can see how seriously gone Kadan is over Tansy. Okay, I admit I am obsessed with this book!

message 12: by Arch (new)

It's all good like a chicken bone Danielle. I know what an obsession can do to a reader.

message 13: by Lisa (last edited Nov 17, 2010 10:43AM) (new)

Lisa | 14 comments I agree with all the likes/loves listed in other posts. One I would add is that I love it when the hero remembers something trivial about the heroine (a favorite food, perfume, childhood memory...) and surprises her later by remembering something that she only briefly mentioned in passing.

I like heroes who pay attention!

Lisa Marie

message 14: by Arch (new)

I agree Lisa. A hero with a good memory is a good thing.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Me too, Lisa Marie.

message 16: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) | 1084 comments Mod
Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "There is a scene in Murder Game by Christine Feehan that I love where the hero's buddies are teasing him because he is so in love with the heroine. He thinks she smells like cinnamon, so they are ..."

That's an awesome book! I loved Kadan so much. Now I wanna reread it!

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Me too, Megan. I am trying to talk my bookclub into reading it together for a group read. :)

message 18: by Wan (last edited Nov 17, 2010 01:14PM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments All of the above and

*I like heroes who don't mind showing public display of affection

*I like heroes that kiss. (It's all about good "kissers" for me.)

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Good ones, Wan!

message 20: by Arch (new)

* I like when a hero act silly. I like a fun side to a hero.

* I like when a hero shows his kid side.

* I like when a hero teases his friend, about his friend's feeling for a woman.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments I agree I love it when a hero gets teased by his friends/family about being in love and he doesn't care or just accuses them of being jealous or takes it good naturedly!

message 22: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments I think I can whole-heartedly agree with every single one of those traits/qualities.

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

*I also like a hero that is completely faithful to the heroine after they meet and start their courtship. That speaks to me.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments I like that too, I hate it when the hero gets with someone else within the book, even if the h/H are not together, and don't even get me started on cheating heroes!

message 25: by Arch (last edited Nov 18, 2010 10:11AM) (new)

I can understand about Sam Starrett hooking up with Mary Lou, after him and Alyssa Locke hookup for the first time. The woman didn't want anything to do with him after their first time hooking up. She had basically looked at their hookup as a mistake. Sam wanted a relationship, Alyssa didn't. She was afraid. So, what was he suppose to do? After she broke his heart, he didn't see her again until 6 months later and he still had strong feelings for her, but she was dogging him, knowing good and well that she wanted to be with him. But, because of her turning him down six months prior, something happen that caused them to be apart after their second hookup.

I can understand a hero moving on in a series, but not in a single book.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments I agree with you Arch about Sam and Alyssa, there books were stretched out and you can see all the reasons behind there choices and they seemed to make sense-for them- at the time. ALthough there were times when I just wanted to knock there heads together and tell them to just get together!

message 27: by Arch (new)

Suzanne, I am glad that Gone Too Far was my first book. :)

message 28: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I didn't really like that Sam got with Mary Lou, although I respect that he and Alyssa didn't have a relationship. But at least Haley came out of that, and Alyssa realized what she was giving up.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments That was lucky, I started at the beginning and the suspense was killing me by the time I got to "Gone Too Far" I just wanted them to get together and have done with it!

I always felt a little sorry for Mary Lou, I know she could be and was a total bitch, but she didn't have it easy either.

message 30: by Arch (new)

I'm just glad that everything worked out. Alyssa likes Mary Lou now.

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Mary Lou grew on me. I liked her by the end of GTF. Before that, I couldn't stand her!

message 32: by Arch (new)

Whenever Alyssa wants to leave their son Ash with Mary Lou, while they go on a mission - that shows me that she likes Mary Lou. They have to get alone, because of Haley. Or should I say, they should get alone, because of Haley.

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Mary Lou had some growing up to do. Once she started that process, she turned out to be a good person.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments I agree, she needed to see outside her own narrow view of the world. When she did, she became a better person for it.

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Exactly, Suzanne!

message 36: by Silvana~Duchess of Avonlea~ (last edited Nov 19, 2010 04:21PM) (new)

Silvana~Duchess of Avonlea~ | 6 comments Awesome topic. Great job girls!

Mine are;
* When the hero inadvertently blurts out God but your beautiful.

* When the hero pleads for the heroine to please don’t cry.

* When the hero watches the heroine from afar and is mystified that he hadn’t noticed her true beauty before.

* When the hero studies his sleeping heroines “un-classically beautiful features” and realizes that he's fallen madly in love.

This is the hero that comes to mind Viscount St. Vincent

message 37: by ~Megan~ (new)

oh Silvana...those are some of my favorites as well! Especially the please don't cry. I love it when a woman's tears bring a man to his knees.

Or when she gets hurt and he is so sweet and gentle with her, but underneath he's super mad and swearing vengeance.

St. Vincent is one of my faves!

message 38: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments What book is he from? He sounds wonderful.

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Oh wow! I love that list. I am definitely a St. Vinnie's Ninny!

Wan that hero is from Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas.

message 40: by Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) (last edited Nov 20, 2010 04:23PM) (new)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments Oh Megan that is a great one, I love when the hero is all tender with the heroine who has been hurt, but inside is seething with rage at whoever dared hurt her.

St Vincent is great, I love how he acts towards Evie

message 41: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments Thanks, Lady D.

message 42: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 20 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "*I also like a hero that is completely faithful to the heroine after they meet and start their courtship. That speaks to me."

I agree with all the points, but his is a biggie for me. If the hero can sleep with someone after being with the heroine, or especially after knowing he has feeling for her, it ruins it for me.

I also love it when a hero just can't stand that the heroine is upset and wants to fix it.... like maybe wanting to kill whoever upset her :^)

message 43: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Nov 22, 2010 07:21AM) (new)

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Eva. I just can't look at the hero the same way if he cheats on the heroine.

And I love when a hero can't stand to see his heroine hurt. You'd love Kadan in Murder Game, Eva. He's definitely like that.

message 44: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments I also love an unapologetically hero. Love when he would do anything to make the heroine his and not sorry about it whatsoever.

message 45: by Akaria (new)

Akaria Gale | 59 comments I love it when a playboy type hero realizes he's met The One. She could be making french toast or helping him slay the enemy but that first time he realizes he only wants her. *sigh*

message 46: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 20 comments I added Murder Games to the TBR list this morning actually... after I read your review, Lady Danielle.

message 47: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 164 comments Alrighty...Let's see. I've been reading a lot of historical romance lately so some of these may have a theme! <3

~*That moment when the hero realizes that he loves the heroine. Doesn't matter how late or what's going on, I always look forward to that moment!

~*The moment when the hero thinks he's lost the heroine and "everything changes".

~*When the hero automatically loves the heroine and he has to earn her love. Love it even more when he is stead fast and never looses his faith in the love throughout the whole thing.

~*When the hero wins over the heroine by loving any children that are involved in the relationship (siblings, children, etc., etc.)

~*When the hero realizes that it's okay to publicly adore the heroine and is proud of her for being herself (not matter how embarrassingly adorable she is).

~*When the hero is the virgin. (rare but epic)

~*When the heroine witnesses the hero expressing that he cares for her (whether by sneaking/accidentally/through other people/etc).

I'm sure there are TONS more but I can't think of any right now.

Back to my wine! <3

message 48: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 164 comments Suzanne wrote: "Oh Megan that is a great one, I love when the hero is all tender with the heroine who has been hurt, but inside is seething with rage at whoever dared hurt her.

St Vincent is great, I love how h..."

I love how he helps her with her stutter. <3

message 49: by Arch (new)

Yes, Courtney. I agree about the virgin heroes.

message 50: by ~Megan~ (new)

~*When the hero wins over the heroine by loving any children that are involved in the relationship (siblings, children, etc., etc.)

Love, love, love this one! I love it anytime children are involved and the hero falls in love with them or already loves his own kids more than anything.

« previous 1 3 4