Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

The Key to Midnight
This topic is about The Key to Midnight
Stand Alone Novels 1968-1979 > The Key to Midnight (Group Read - November 2013)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments I didn't care too much for this one. It was sort of like The House of Thunder meets False Memory. The romance in the story seemed very unrealistic and forced. The characters were mostly dull and stereotypical. The one thing I did like about it was the setting being mostly in Japan. ***Spoiler*** I have to admit, I didn't see the whole Russian spy thing coming, though I can't say I was really that surprised when it did come.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 6060 comments Mod
You may need a break from Koontz. I must take one once in a while because his stories seem to be quite similar. Haven't read The Key to Midnight but by the title it seems like The Door to December, but I haven't read that one either and maybe the Key opens the Door to The House of Thunder and maybe instead of dealing with the Key, you we should just read Midnight because that Key might actually open One Door Away from Heaven .... Okay I'm getting carried away. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is: too much Koontz can put you in The Bad Place ... wait that's not what I meant to say.....

The Key to Midnight by Dean Koontz Midnight by Dean Koontz

Damn it's almost Midnight... I've got to get some sleep.... Now where did I put my Key? Forget the Key to Midnight and move on.... That's what I'm trying to say, yes that's it. I'll read The Key to Midnight someday, sometime TICK TOCK. Goodnite.

message 4: by Jaice (last edited Nov 10, 2010 09:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin Crazy wrote: "...Haven't read The Key to Midnight but by the title it seems like The Door to December..."

It's funny you said that, because it actually reminded me quite a bit of The Door to December in certain ways. The romance did, for one thing. However, the book I'm currently reading, The Mask, seems even more reminiscent of The Door to December, going so far as to have a psychiatrist mother who finds a teenage girl (who I suspect is the long-lost baby she gave up for adoption 16 years earlier) wondering the streets with amnesia. Perhaps you're right about how I should take a break from Koontz, as the similarities between the plots of his various novels are becoming a bit distracting and disillusioning. But, I won't be, thanks to my OCD. :-)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 666 comments Jason "plasborgma" wrote: " Perhaps you're right about how I should take a break from Koontz, as the similarities between the plots of his various novels are becoming a bit distracting and disillusioning."

He saw the light! He saw THE LIGHT!

As for the book, I remember actually enjoying it. It has all the ingredients of a classic made-for-video movie. While not memorable in any way, the cheesy romance and fun action scenes were actually comforting and reminded me of the simpler times of my childhood where I used to watch a lot of such stuff.

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Maciek wrote: "He saw the light! He saw THE LIGHT!..."

I've always seen it, it just didn't used to bother me as much as it does now, now that I've read so many of his books and keep seeing the same themes and characters over and over. It is comforting to have recurring themes and characters in some ways, but that quickly turns to eye-rolling and disillusionment when it happens to this degree. Stephen King has some recurring themes and characters in his novels too, but I think he does it with more taste and subtlety than does Koontz (not to say that King is fundamentally superior to Koontz).

message 7: by Maciek (last edited Nov 10, 2010 10:29AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 666 comments I believe that a large chunk of Koontz's career comes from sharing the same initial as King and shop shelves. In fact the two have little in common, and many readers are...um...disilusioned.

You know, most of my rants here sprout from the fact that I was on a Koontz kick throughout this year and his books beng as they are I've read them all in quick succesion in a short period of time. I came to a conclusion that Koontz, while having some great titles, is such a morally simplistic writer with a limited bag of tricks. Especially in recent years, his heavy handed morality and soapboxing have been such a turnoff that I wonder if someone at the publishing house actually reads this stuff, or if they just assume that it will sell basing on name recognition?

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Maciek wrote: "...Especially in recent years, his heavy handed morality and soapboxing have been such a turnoff that I wonder if someone at the publishing house actually reads this stuff, or if they just assume that it will sell basing on name recognition?"

Perhaps Dawson (from Night Chills) owns the publishing company. ;-)

Is it worth reading? I haven't read this yet.

Jason didn't seem to like The Key to Midnight very much but I'll look forward to reading it :-)

EXCITING NEWS!!!! The Key to Midnight is being featured as a Mini-Group Read!!!!
Anyone who is interested in reading along can join Alex, Tracy & I. I haven't read this one so I'm anxious to give it a try.
This might be a good alternative if you aren't going to be reading Dean's latest release 77 Shadow Street, which is also our January 2012 Group read. Think about it & feel free join the discussion with us in this thread.

I decided to purchase the audiobook for The Key to Midnight since none of my area libraries have it available. If anyone else is interested here is the link to where I bought it Unabridged:
http://www.audiobookstand.com/product...

message 13: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Dec 31, 2011 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I picked up my printed copy from the library yesterday. The cover has a black bird & tree background. I still plan on waiting for my audiobook though :-)
The Key To Midnight by Dean Koontz

message 14: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Jan 01, 2012 10:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex wrote: "So...has anyone started it yet? :]"

Have you started reading it this month yet?

and Where is Tracy - has she not found this thread or what?

TRACY ARE YOU THERE?

Tracy | 528 comments Ha Ha! I'm here. I haven't started yet because I'm waiting for it to come from Amazon. This is another one my library didn't have so I decided to buy it. Getting kind of anxious for it now. I am still reading 77 Shadow Street though. Maybe I will be done when Key to Midnight comes.

WELCOME TRACY! SO NICE TO HAVE YOU WITH US :-)

I'm still waiting for my audiobook to arrive & I likewise am getting rather anxious for it - will try to start next week.

Tracy | 528 comments Hey DC, I just got it today!! WhooHoo! I will start next week when you do. Maybe by then I will have finished 77 Shadow Street.

Alf, if I was your Mother I would have taken it. In about two days I would be saying Alf honey this came in the mail for you a couple of days ago and I forgot to give it to you. HaHa.

Tracy | 528 comments Hey DC I'm here. Did you ever get your audiobook? I did get my book but I haven't started it yet. I'm trying to finish Vanish and 77 Shadow Street. Hopefully by this weekend I will be reading it. Have you read this one before? It will be my first time. Can't wait.

I have never read this book so we both have a great adventure ahead of us. ALF aka Alex reads The Key to Midnight every month so it must be good.

Yes, I did get my audiobook & I've got a printed copy from the library. I do want to finish Vanish first though so I haven't started and I'll admit I've gotten sidetracked with another book but I'm almost done with it :-)

That's okay :-) no reason needed. I did like The House of Thunder - read it for the first time last year - so that's a good sign.

The Doctor in The House of Thunder?

Ok. Good to know. I guess? :-/

Weird.

Will start next week I promise :-)

Tracy | 528 comments OK DC I have started this but just this morning so I'm not very far.

Alf I will be able to discuss shortly.

Tracy | 528 comments I am almost finished with this one but it is very strange to me. I mean, I like the story but it is lacking the humor I have come to love with Koontz' books.

Tracy | 528 comments Yeah Dante he grossed me out as well. The doctor is a freak himself. I am really liking the story but like I said before it doesn't feel like Koontz. Most of the novels I have read of his has a couple in it but they have this cute humorous relationship. Like in Relentless and Life Expectancy. Just missing that I guess.

Demon Seed was revised too - I've only read the revised edition so not sure if the original was quite so funny :-)

I have started The Key to Midnight but am not very far into it yet :-)Joanna has met Alex and has been having nightmares featuring a doctor, a needle and some metal fingers.

So AL, Alex, and who ever else you go by... I think you can relate to this book because of your name and for some reason you keep changing your identity. I thought the book was intriguing in the beginning and there were some intense scenes in it (also some cheesiness too). I personally prefer The House of Thunder, but I will tell you this... by the end of January, I ended up with a Key tattooed on my arm :-)

"The key words of the Japanese experience, at least for most of its philosophical history, are 'serenity' and 'simplicity'."
-The Key to Midnight, Chapter 9

I like this. "Serenity" and "Simplicity" are things I strive for :-)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "So AL, Alex, and who ever else you go by... I think you can relate to this book because of your name and for some reason you keep changing your identity. I thought the book was intriguing in the b..."

My apologies if I came across too mean. That was just one of my identities acting out.

AL wrote: "I don't relate to the book, I relate to the writing. It's in a similar style in which I write. As stated before, Koontz is the one who inspired me to write what I do. "

Again, my sincerest apologies. Sometimes my evil twin gets on my computer and pretends to be me - this was just one of those times. I hope neither my twin nor I will ever scare you away.

This writing style must really speak to you --- you've read the book 11 times ---- that is still unbelievably impressive to me. This book is not exactly the Koontz style that we know and love. It's like Koontz is buried in the writing - he's there but the reader must look a little deeper to find him (somewhere beyond all the romantic scenes)- this is what happens when Dean pretends to be a woman.

Anyway, yes as my evil twin stated, I did get a key tattoo last week. You collect keys and want a key tattoo too? That's great! We can be in some kind of Key Club. Keys have been speaking to me lately. Last year I watched the film based on a book called Sarah's Key and then Hugo came out which also dealt with a key and then last week I watched Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close which also featured a key. In January, we read 77 Shadow Street which displays a key on the cover and The Key to Midnight - so I had to get a key tattoo. Tomorrow I'm getting roses tattooed on my ankle.

AL wrote: "You all have been nice enough not to mention my many flaws."

I hadn't noticed any

AL wrote: "It sounds like a cat dying.... "

Now you sound like ALF. ALF eats cats.
http://youtu.be/kJh7cCpkEYg

*Warning*
I just realized that the ALF/Garfield You Tube video I posted has subliminal flash frames and will cause a new identity to be implanted into the viewer's mind.

What do cats mean in dreams? What is WSS?

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) | 246 comments To see a cat in your dream symbolizes an independent spirit, feminine sexuality, creativity, and power. It also represents misfortune and bad luck. The dream symbol has different significance depending on whether you are a cat lover or not. The cat could indicate that someone is being deceitful or treacherous toward you. If the cat is aggressive, then it suggests that you are having problems with the feminine aspect of yourself.�If you are afraid of the cat in your dream, then it suggests that you are fearful of the feminine. The dream may be a metaphor for "cattiness" or someone who is "catty" and malicious. If you see a cat with no tail, then it signifies a loss of independence and lack of autonomy.
To dream that a cat is biting you symbolizes the devouring female. Perhaps you are taking and taking without giving. You may be expressing some fear or frustration especially when something is not going as planned. If you dream that a cat is scratching you, then it suggests that you are feeling threatened.
To see a black cat in your dream indicates that you are experiencing some fear in using your psychic abilities and believing in your intuition. You may erroneously associate the black cat with evil, destruction, and bad luck. In particular, if the black cat is biting, clawing or attacking you, then the dream means that you must acknowledge what your intuition is trying to tell you. You can no longer ignore it. Do not be afraid to face the situation. If you see a white cat, then it denotes difficult times.

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Nora aka Diva wrote: "To see a cat in your dream symbolizes an independent spirit, feminine sexuality, creativity, and power. It also represents misfortune and bad luck. The dream symbol has different significance depen..."

Freudian hogwash. :-P

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) | 246 comments perhaps, but you did ask. I didn't say I believed it, I just googled it for ya. lol :)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Nora aka Diva wrote: "perhaps, but you did ask. I didn't say I believed it, I just googled it for ya. lol :)"

Actually, that was Dustin who asked. I appreciate your diligence in seeking the information for us, in spite of its pseudoscientific nature. :-)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) | 246 comments oops, you're right. teach me to type and read a book at the same time. lol

AL wrote: "The men all have Spring fever. Don't tell them I said that, but I'm starting to think they do based on what they've been writing. They haven't really been sticking to the PG-13 writings either."

I can only imagine.

Nora, thanks for your research. That is so funny that you mixed me up with Jason :-) Good thing I haven't had any cat dreams that I can recall.

AL,
I must share with you my favorite pirate quote and you must read Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon. It deals with identity so you will very much like it:

“The pirates would kiss Hayden, and sometimes they would cut off a hank of hair - 'as a reminder of yer kisses, me lad' - and one of them even cut off a piece of his earlobe.
This particular pirate was Bill McGregor, and he was the one Hayden feared the most. Bill McGregor was the worst of them - and at night when everyone else was asleep, Bill McGregor would come looking for Hayden, his step slow and hollow on the planks of the deck, his voice a deep whisper.
Boy,' he would murmur. 'where are you, boy?'
After Bill McGregor cut off the piece of Hayden's earlobe, he decided that he wanted more. Every time he caught Hayden, he would cut a small piece off of him. The skin of an elbow, the tip of a finger, a piece of his lip. He would grip the squirming Hayden and cut a piece off of him, and then Bill McGregor would eat the piece of flesh.”
-Dan Chaon, Await Your Reply
Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon

AL wrote: "I have to read this book."

Yes, that's what I was saying :-)

The Audiobook of Await Your Reply is excellent btw

The Key to Midnight has been selected as one of our two November Group Reads.

message 48: by Shastina , Koontzland Social Media Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shastina  Henderson (shastinahenderson) | 92 comments Mod
I've been wanting to come back to this book for a while. This will be that last little reason to finally give in!

Tracy | 528 comments DC I just got Await Your Reply on audio. Need to find out what you are talking about.

Tracy wrote: "DC I just got Await Your Reply on audio. Need to find out what you are talking about."

I hope you like it :-) My favorite book! Maybe I should listen to the audiobook again.

« previous 1 3