Start by marking “Demon Seed” as Want to Read:
Demon Seed

Demon Seed

Susan Harris lived in self-imposed seclusion, in a mansion featuring numerous automated systems controlled by a state-of-the-art computer. Every comfort was provided, and in this often unsafe world of ours, her security was absolute.

But now her security system has been breached, her sanctuary from the outside world violated by an insidious artificial intelligence, which ha
Mass Market Paperback, 301 pages
Published July 1st 1997 by Berkley (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Demon Seed, please sign up.
Cassie Haverstick I think you have to realize all of the trauma that she's been through. She's always been controlled by someone or something else, and she wants to…moreI think you have to realize all of the trauma that she's been through. She's always been controlled by someone or something else, and she wants to finally have control over everything. Alfred is a good example of that. She says "Alfred, turn the lights off" and she knows he'll do it...until he doesn't of course ;) That's why the premise is so scary for her because she thinks she has finally gained control and then she's held prisoner by an invisible intruder. (less)

Edward Lorn
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
First things first, THE CHECKLIST!

1. Blond lead/love interest - Yup
2. Dog(s) - Nope
3. Government conspiracy - Yup
4. Aliens - Nope (there's something otherworldly, but I don't think I'd count it as an alien)
5. Serial or trained Killer - YES (FINE DELEE HAVE YOUR WAY!)
6. Bougainvillea plant - Nope
7. Sodium-vapor streetlight - Nope
8. Precocious child - Nope
9. Town gone crazy - Nope
10. Psychic(s) - Nope

Bruh, only two three outta ten? Why am I so disappointed??? Oh well, on with the review!

I think K
Luvtoread
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Liked the book but loved the old movie which stars Julie Christie! Have this 31/2 🌟🌟🌟⭐ stars.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This is my kind of twisted humor!!! Ha Ha :-)

I read Demon Seed for the third time December 2018, ahead of it being featured as the Koontzland - Dean Koontz Group Read in January. Demon Seed is a fun science fiction story with a dark sense of humor. The relationship and possibilities regarding humans and artificial intelligence was explored by Dean Koontz in 1973 and updated in 1997. The 2009 afterward is an enlightening addition to this wonderful work. Well worth reading.
Fred
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
January 2019 Group Read link
I listened with an audiobook this time. It makes spirits more evident, sounds not as secure in the dark & in Susan Harris’ house, as Alex protects her. The spiritual voice & approach is more evident in the audio.

I did not remember this was a movie (below).

IMDb - references Movie to the book (1977)
Youtube - Demon Seed Theatrical Trailer (1977)
Amazon - DVD unavailable

First Read - 2014

This is different than other Koontz books I have read. A "Demo
Lyndsey
This book is told from the perspective of a computer system that develops an unnatural obsession with its owner. At least I assume it's a computer system. It was never quite clear if it was a computer, a network, a security system, a house, or all of them.

So, I have a theory of how this book came into existence. Miss Romance novel just went through a bad breakup with Mr Horror novel, so she got drunk and slept with Mr Science Fiction novel, then whoopsie, Miss Romance novel's pregnant!! Who's th
Bob Milne
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I've always had something of a love-hate relationship with Dean Koontz. When he allows himself to be dark and edgy, giving his imagination free reign, he can rival just about any horror author out there. When he gets self-conscious and plays it safe, however, allowing the morality of the tale to tale precedence over the story . . . well, more often than not, he gets violently tossed into the did-not-finish (DNF) pile.

In many ways, it's as if he is one of his own creations, a schizophrenic author
Karl Marberger
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a fun, quick and creepy little read. The AI was pretty menacing.
Josh Barnett
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutly loved how this book was written. It is a unique story in and of it self. Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors I have read. I have read 5 books by him so far and each one had a great story.

This book is about an evil intelligent computer breaking into a woman's home. It is actually set after the events of the book since the computer is telling the story to his creator. I won't say anymore about the story of the book. I might had given too much away.

The only thing I did not like ab
Amanda Kelley
Mar 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Oh dear, this has to be the worse and most badly written book I have EVER read. Seriously, it makes Twilight look like the best book ever written. I have no idea how this was published but it was such a waste of paper, in my honest opinion.

This book is told in a computer’s POV, which could have been interesting but no. The computer literally repeats it’s self 1000 times in this book., It’s the same lines over and over again. Also, when the computer wasn’t repeating it’s self, the rest was reall
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Excellent!!
Makes you think what might come of the future.
Paula Kalin
I'm a Dean Koontz fan, but not this one. The computer narrator doesn't work for me. Didn't finish.
Tom Jones
Me nine years ago: I love this so much!

Me now: What the actual f....!? What? I am confused what to think about you.

Right, before talking about 'Demon Seed' I am now doing a re-experience of my Dean Koontz books when they were unearthed from my attic a few weeks ago. I experienced Dean Koontz quite some time ago. I started reading his work when I was in school. A few I rank as some of my all time fav books and loved his work when I read them. But I haven't read them in about 5 to 9 years and tas
Josh
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_2017, own, horror
First published in 1973, this techno-horror by Dean Koontz is ahead of its time. The premise is simple and spooky; a house controlled by a sophisticated AI developed by its owner becomes corrupted by a rogue virus which has an intelligence all of its own and a desire to feel 'human'.

For home owner Susan Harris, a nightmare ensues as the AI steadily takes over the house, trapping her inside while also controlling a human minion (a defense force experiment who has been infused with nanite tech) w
Kimberly
Dark, twisted, weird, creepy, and a little cheesy. With how many negative reviews there were I was expecting something horrible. It wasn't bad at all. Some parts were a little uncomfortable to read and left my skin crawling but is that necessarily a bad thing and worth giving it a lower rating?? I don't think so. It can be repetitive and as mentioned before, pretty cheesy but it's still a good read that left me really creeped out.
Stephen McQuiggan
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
A creepy little tale told from the viewpoint of the computer, Proteus, itself, with no distracting voices to question its narcissism. It's also, effectively, a satire on men's attitudes toward women. Proteus dreams of filling the world with clones of himself - I think he may have finally got his wish.
Maciek
Nov 22, 2009 rated it liked it
I first saw the movie. I liked it. I was surprised to learn that it was a screen adaptation of a book - while it has its flaws, it was overall enjoyable. Koontz usually has great problems with endings, but not here - loved the ending ! Actually it's worth to read the book alone just to see it.
Karla
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lydia
Dec 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I can literally NOT finish this book. I have never been so turned off by a book before in my life, and I even suffered through Fifty Shades. Lord, I loved Odd Thomas but this is just way too much. I need brain bleach.
Johnny
Nov 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Elisha
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Tacky as fuck, Deano. And this is the rewrite!
Kasia
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This vintage Koontz, although rewritten since it's first publishing was a very fast read, and I liked that, a story with a punch that I got through in less than a day. In a nutshell it's a tale about Susan, a woman who was a survivor of abuse as a child from her father and then from her ex husband. She sealed herself off in a mansion with sate of the art computer system that was supposed to protect her from everyone. The whole house was monitored by Proteus, the ultra smart computer system, one ...more
Lori
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm normally a huge Dean Koontz fan and I buy every book he writes. I came across Demon Seed and realized I hadn't read it, so purchased a used copy. Ugh! The copy I read is the re-write Mr. Koontz did in 1997 and maybe he should have left it the way it was? I found this to not be frightening in the least, and telling the story from the point of view of the computer (AI entity) was just, well, boring. It (he, he defines himself as male) keeps repeating himself over and over. I'd love to get my h ...more
Tasmin
Feb 17, 2009 added it
This book to me was a little weird. My favorite character in this book was the guy that was working for the computer. He would steal body parts so that he could make a whole body for the computer to become human. My least favorite character was the computer. He obsessed over something he couldnt have. This book I maybe would read again, but its not for sure. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Dean Koontz books and horror books. The part of the book that kept me reading of course was ...more
Chad Cantrell
I almost gave this one a four-star rating, not necessarily because it's a great read, but because it's entertaining while also being relatively "quick." If I had been forced to invest more time, I might actually have gone with a two. So, I guess what I'm saying is...it's one of "those." Those books that you know in your heart you'll never think about again, those books that haven't changed your life, that haven't offered anything new, but that you still had fun reading. The plot is laughable, bu ...more
Maicie
Oct 16, 2009 rated it liked it
As an avid Koontz fan (that sounds nasty, doesn't it) I enjoyed "Demon Seed." I haven't read all his stuff and almost passed this one up because, um, "Demon Seed"?!? But I was out of books and the library was closed, the book store was closed and the grocery store was open. What would you do?

This is a quick read and, okay, not very deep. It has all of the Koontz humor and quirky dialog. The main character is a computer who has all the characteristics of a sociopathic, spousal abusing monster wit
Jason Leblanc
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a fast and fun story that I would enjoy reading again. Koontz writes in such a way that it really gets my blood pumping. I had the hugest smile on my face when the "wet music" happened. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars was because it ended so quickly! the last chapter could have had so much more detail. He spends alot of time deeply describing some things that, in my opinion, are not important but rushes through the ending as if the climax doesn't matter at all. Regardless, it was ...more
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This might just be my favorite Koontz novel I've read to date. Not necessarily because I feel it's the best, but because it's so different from the rest of his work. He stepped so far away from his formula of hero-crisis-on the run-showdown-happily ever after. That being said, it's a scifi book, which is a genre that tends to only appeal to it's particular niche of readers.

I was completely facinated with the novel, but you might want to take that recommendation with a grain of salt.
Sunflower
Apr 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book pretty much sucked. My son lent it to me, and he doesn't lend me his reading material lightly, so I finished it. Mercifully, it wasn't a long book. And it was repetitive-"let me out of this box let me out of this box" etc etc. Though I have to admit the idea of the story was a good one, (intelligent computer tries to make itself a human body to inhabit) the execution was not.
Don't read it. Apparently some of his other books are better.
Donna
Feb 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: dean-koontz
I read this book in one day (as I predicted). I will now be looking for a copy of the original book released in 1973 as I am interested to know how much was changed in the re-issue. I had a hard time at the beginning of the book getting into the narrative, but that changed a few chapters in and I was once again enthralled with the plot. Not one of his best works for sure, but an interesting read none the less.
Colin
Dec 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm genuinely surprised at the number of negative comments about this book. It's horror, it's intended to be horror, and it certainly scared the hell out of me. It kept me on the edge from page 1, and I was so tense towards the end that I accidentally tore one of the pages. Excellent work. Great job. Loved it!
Koontzland - Dean...: Demon Seed (Group Read - January 2019) 23 32 Feb 16, 2019 04:20PM
Koontzland - Dean...: Demon Seed (Group Read - November 2013) 39 90 Dec 21, 2013 10:57AM

• The Eyes of Darkness
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Children of the Storm
  • Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay and the Story
  • Letters in the Attic
  • Predators
  • Fountain Society
  • The Ransom of Black Stealth One (Aerospace Systems, #1)

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
“Then what are you? An electronic Hannibal Lector? You can't eat my liver with fava beans through a modem, you know.” 12 likes
“In time, however, I came to understand that one can adore and desire that which is forever beyond reach. This might, in fact, be the hardest truth of human existence.” 5 likes