College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > Reward programs in bookstores

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Are any of you part of any rewards programs at either Borders, B&N or your local bookstore?

I keep seeing this new Borders rewards thingy and wonder if I should upgrade. I've heard good things about B&N as well. Help!

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I've had the B&N membership for the past couple of years. I like it. I'm pretty sure I get free shipping (no matter how much I spend) with the membership. I live closer to a B&N so I go there a lot more often.

But I think the Borders upgrade has the same benefits as the B&N membership.

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samhanson) | 179 comments I have the Borders Rewards. I don't use it that much though since I don't buy many books anyway. They email coupons sometimes that I'll use on CDs on drinks. It's a free service, though they do send a lot of emails. I just gave them a junk email address and whenever I plan to go I see if there are any new coupons.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments We have Borders and B&N. My husband as had his B&N membership so long the card can't be swiped. Since he is so attached to it we renew it each year. We don't really use Borders anymore it is 30+ minutes away. I used it all the time when I worked there though.

message 5: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments I used to have B&N membership. I actually got it for free, as when I was in line one day to buy a book, I chatted up the lady in front of me and she was buying membership and ended up giving me her account number that I could use whenever I wanted. Pretty nice for a complete stranger! Anyways, I don't recall what the shipping was, but the discounts were pretty decent, especially on new releases.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I have a B&N membership, love it!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Jamie I upgraded my Borders membership and I'm really excited about it.

To help you decide though, log on to your Borders Rewards account and you can see a total of what you've spent for the year already. For me it was really worth it because I've already gotten TWO Borders Bucks (which you get when you spend $150 in a year, and then for every $100 after that), and was close to my third one.

Good coupons, Borders Bucks, free drinks after you purchase a certain amount, and saving an extra 10% all the time? Totally worth it for me. And a BIG improvement on the B&N one (their coupons aren't as good, and they don't have the Borders Bucks $5 thingy, so you save more at Borders).

I actually wrote a blog post comparing the two programs here: http://sarahthinksso.blogspot.com/201...
if that helps.

message 8: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Hehe I actually just upgraded it yesterday! I just decided to freaking do it because I spend a lot of money there. I feel bad because I'm always split between my local indie (which I totally want to support) and Borders because there are such good coupons and that is enticing as somebody who is broke! I have a feeling that I'll be even more persuaded to go to Borders rather than my local indie.

Great blog post though! I'll be tweeting that one!

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Nov 11, 2010 05:58AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Thanks :)

Also, I just got an email from Borders giving me FREE $10 in Borders Bucks! Not sure if they're doing that for everyone or just the Plus members, but yayyyyy!

message 10: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I got it too!! :)