Browncoats discussion

Introductions > The best thing about Firefly?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (serenity77) | 70 comments What is the best thing about Firefly that you love? I love how all the characters are clever and funny and how the dialogue never bores you...

message 2: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 216 comments Mod
I agree, Jeannie. My answer would be the characters.

message 3: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (serenity77) | 70 comments They are just so great though! I'm so annoyed with FOX for not continuing it!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 7 comments Another vote for the characters. I seriously love all of them. Even when I hate a character in it and am mentally cursing at him, I still love them all.

And then there's the Chinese cursing. ♥

message 5: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (serenity77) | 70 comments :P yeah i love that!

message 6: by Anastasia (last edited Nov 16, 2010 10:41PM) (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments Oh geez.. the best thing about Firefly? The characters, the dialogue, the plots, the 'verse... the whole thing was a great mix. Sure wish FOX would have aired it on a different day and didn't muck around with the gorram time slot and show order. >:-(

message 7: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (serenity77) | 70 comments Yeah I totally agree Elizabeth, I was watching some of the special features and they all said that they had the most fun being on the set with each other..

message 8: by C.G. (new)

C.G. (samatwitch) | 29 comments The best thing about "Firefly" is all the friends I have made as a result - and the five (and counting) successful Can't Stop The Serenity fundraisers I have organised.

message 9: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (serenity77) | 70 comments Wow thats really cool:)

message 10: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments C.G. wrote: "The best thing about "Firefly" is all the friends I have made as a result - and the five (and counting) successful Can't Stop The Serenity fundraisers I have organised."

Browncoats make the best friends. ;-)

I tried to host a Shindig here, but only 4 people showed up. :( and 2 of them were hardcore Browncoats; we converted the other 2 to Browncoats though. Hehehe, so i guess it wasn't all bad.

message 11: by C.G. (new)

C.G. (samatwitch) | 29 comments You can start small and work your way up. If each person 'converts' one or two, soon you'll have a good-sized group. :)

And you're right about Browncoats making the best friends.

message 12: by chvang (new)

chvang | 7 comments The best thing about it? Of course the characters (the actors deserve as much credit as the writers) and dialogue. But you have to consider its cancellation. Thus we remember it for what it could've become, instead of turning into another FOX zombie.

message 13: by chvang (last edited May 10, 2011 04:25PM) (new)

chvang | 7 comments
"Browncoats make the best friends"

RE: And friends make the worst Browncoats. Borrowed my DVDs, became a fan and have yet to return them.

message 14: by Luann (new)

Chang wrote: ""Browncoats make the best friends"
RE: And friends make the worst Browncoats. Borrowed my DVDs, became a fan and have yet to return them."

Oh, Chang! That's so sad! I know some people who buy two sets - one for loaning out and one to keep to make sure they can watch it whenever they feel like it.

message 15: by C.G. (new)

C.G. (samatwitch) | 29 comments That happened to Jewel Staite (Kaylee) a few years ago, so we local Browncoats bought her a new set. Myself, I have three loaner copies! :)

message 16: by chvang (new)

chvang | 7 comments Sigh. But I wouldn't say "loaning." I think "circulating" is more appropriate. :)

By the way, when I said characters, I meant Serenity as well. In fourteen episodes and a movie, we learned more about the ship and her battered crew and every compartment in that old gal than . . . that other series.

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2 comments It was the characters that got me hooked, and the quirky humour and western themes. I just love the theme song. There are a few of the best tv series that when the theme song kicks in just let you sail of into another world.

I also like Jane, he is such a ruthless bastard and funny aswell. He cracks me up just about every episode.

message 18: by Debra (new)

Debra (learob08) | 10 comments The characters were so wellsuited to each other. And the dialog was so quick witted and funny. The vers was so original. And the music so hypnotizing. I would be humming it for days after. But the best was the chinese cursing. That was so cool and funny.
And talk about making friends. My husband told me that he fell in love with me because I introduced him to Firefly. My cooking was great and the perks was awesome, but showing him the greatest show ever made proved how totally awesome of a catch I was.

message 19: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments That's another thing about Firefly. the fans are so passionate, i rarely see Browncoats fight or argue over things like who Mal should sleep with, which couples go better together, etc. Or any other issues other shows' fans tend to argue about. Sure there's arguing, but Browncoats are just so united that they don't let these sorts of things split them apart. At least that's my experience so far. Perhaps the bigger Browncoats communities are different?

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (porterak) The story was different and had something new that was never done or tried before on TV. That is what drew me to it and what I like about it.

message 21: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian (seblee) i think the chemistry between the cast really stood out, and you could see that they not only liked working with each other but also are friends...you can see it in their banter whenever they show up at convention panels or through their twitter messages to each other...they are also fans of the show and help keep the fandom alive...especially nathan fillion and his random firefly references on castle

message 22: by Gr8fulted (new)

Gr8fulted | 1 comments Maeve wrote: "The life of the characters. Mal can be so funny (were there monkeys? terrifying space monkeys?) and yet so serious (we have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty) All the characters have th..."

Mave:
The actor who plays Wash, Alan Tudyk, came to Joss in the first season of the television show and began to talk to him about killing off Wash in the second season. So if you want to blame someone, blame Wash, himself. Personally, I'm a little sorry I'll never see those gorgeous kids Wash wanted.

message 23: by Faith (new)

Faith McKay (faithmckay) The characters have such strong personalities and are so real. There are so many great things about this show, but this is definitely what it's all about.

message 24: by Luann (new)

Great thoughts on the characters! Maeve, I've never thought about their opposite sides. Interesting!

message 25: by Ben (last edited Apr 20, 2012 11:28AM) (new)

Ben Guilfoy | 2 comments Jayne. Srsly.

Also, toy dinosaurs.

message 26: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) everything is the best

message 27: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 9 comments What I loved so much about Firefly are the characters and the premise about a western tale taking place in space! So creative!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

It was a western/space tale and all the characters were so loyal to each other no matter what happened.
The show had great characters,witty banter.
I'll never understand why there was only one season.

message 29: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 6 comments The characters, and how they still used revolvers, etc. even though it's hundreds of years in the future/

message 30: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 9 comments Ruth wrote: "The characters, and how they still used revolvers, etc. even though it's hundreds of years in the future/"

That's probably the most interesting thing about this series. It's like they are over 200 years into the future and yet they still have old styled weapons in the future. I think it was amazing!

message 31: by Rick (new)

Rick The problem with picking one thing that was the best means that, for me at least, the real reason that the show was so good is forgotten. It wasn't one thing that made Firefly so good - it was the synergy of all the elements that came together to create something far more powerful and magical than any of the elements by themselves. So for me ... Firefly's greatest aspect was the synergy.

message 32: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Rose (unlivedlife) | 1 comments The writing is pure perfection.

message 33: by Shay (new)

Shay Johnston (Shaylaylarock) | 3 comments Everything Duh!

PS.I will never say the word duh again it even imbarisses me to say it right now.

message 34: by Ben (new)

Ben Stack | 7 comments Oh the dialog. I don't know how JW does it. The rhythm is awkward but it sounds natural. Obviously the actors make it work. The dialog conveys so much with a bar minimum of words. It really works. It is my favorite part of firefly. JW is a master if dialog IMO.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Not unlike the way things are going in the world today, where we come from does not have to define who we are. Here's a group of misfits that don't belong in the status quo, making their way in the 'Verse under awful condition's and with demons of their own to fight, and they come together as a family to protect each other and do what is right. Well written, well acted, well done, Mr. Whedon!

message 36: by Rick (new)

Rick So in honor of it being Unification Day today, I decided I needed to watch me some Firefly.

I fell in love with that series all over again.

Shiney. :-)