Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > The Guess That Book Chain Game!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) (I hope this is the right folder, I'm sorry if I'm amiss)

I'm sick and thus slightly cranky and bored, so I came up with a little innocent game to play.
The idea is that someone posts some hints about a book (like basic plot points - setting - character traits), and then people can guess at which book it is. The first person to guess it can then post a new challenge, and thus the chain is created.

The Rules:
1. NO SPOILERS: "the heroïne's brother dies at the end" is a terrible hint. If it's an ongoing series, make sure your hints don't spoil any of the previous books. If you're in doubt about how spoilery one of your hints might be, leave it out to play safe.

2. To keep the entries varied, and offer people of different tastes a chance at playing, don't play with a book that's part of a series that has been played with in the last 10 entries. Example: If entry 4 was a BDB book, the next 10 entries can't be BDB books, but the 15th entry can be.

3. All books need to be either PNR, UF, Fantasy Romance or Sci-Fi/Futuristic Romance. Basically, if you can enter it in a Monthly Challenge, you can use it here.

4. Make sure the book you enter has at least 500 people who added it on goodreads. You can check this by going to the books page, click on rating details, and then you can see the number of people who've added it for all editions of that book.

5. As a way of autocontrol, so people don't have to wait for the "YOU GOT IT RIGHT", end your entry with the last 3 digits of the book-id. Use the most used edition. You can easily do this by adding the book with the add book/author functionality, and then delete everything but the last 3 digits of the id.

People playing can see if the book they think it is is the righ one, by going to the book page (make sure it's the most used edition - this is the edition that shows up in the search) and check the address bar.

6. Only Guess if you're going to Challenge as well.

I hope I covered everything, it's the first time I come up with something like this, so it might be a little wonky at first. Below is an example challenge, and I'll post an example answer after that + the starting challenge.

Example
Challenge
The heroine is a highschool student who just moved to live with her father. She's terribly clumsy, sort of shy, and she doesn't really fit in. The hero is a vampire, who hides in plain sight with this adoptive family who are all vampires as well. He's really good at playing the piano, and he can read minds. The vampires in this universe don't die when they walk in the sunlight, but something totally different happens when they do!

Control Number: 865

message 2: by Jan (last edited Nov 04, 2010 06:32AM) (new)

Jan (janoda) Answer
Twilight - book id is 41865

New Challenge
The heroine belongs to a race of people with mental powers. While growing up she wasn't allowed to feel emotions. The hero is a shifter who wants to use the heroine to find out information about a serial killer. At one point in the story, the heroines boots get chewed on by toddler shifters.

Control Number: 476

Let's have some fun!

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 107 comments ooo... this game seems like fun. I think I know what book is the answer. but don't know how to find the "control number". Should I just say what it is?

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) When you're writing a comment there's an add book/author link right above the comment box. If you click on that you can search for a book and add it to the comment, the link that is added by the system will show the book id, the last 3 numbers are the control number.

Did that make sense?

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 107 comments wow. thats difficult! lol. but i think i'm wrong. i thought it was tempting the enemy.

message 6: by Michelle (last edited Nov 04, 2010 11:34AM) (new)

Michelle  (dejameek) | 22 comments Slave to Sensation Id is 179476.

The heroine can hear the conversations that have taken place in an area before. The hero is possessed by a demon. Hero thinks the heroine is an enemy.
Control number is 543.

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) Uhm. Shannen, your book id isn't the same as the control number, are you sure it's the right book?

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 134 comments Jan wrote: "Uhm. Shannen, your book id isn't the same as the control number, are you sure it's the right book?"

Oh, I see what you mean. The book I listed totally fit the description too. Haha! Will delete my post.

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) Shannen wrote: "Jan wrote: "Uhm. Shannen, your book id isn't the same as the control number, are you sure it's the right book?"

Oh, I see what you mean. The book I listed totally fit the description too. Haha..."

No worries! It just means we'll have to look a little harder!

message 10: by ☻Nikki☻ (new)

☻Nikki☻ C (nikkic1998) Kiss of Midnight ID is 704043

College student attacked then changed into a vampire without her consent. Becomes member of one of the oldest vampire houses and has a best friend who finds out she's a sorcerer.

Control number is: 622

message 11: by Tiffany (last edited Nov 05, 2010 01:33AM) (new)

Tiffany | 2 comments Some Girls Bite#4447622

A member of a paranormal special forces squad is sent to his hometown in the bayou to track down a red headed beauty who was a victim of experiments by the same doctor who imprisoned and experimented on his squad.
Control number is # 259

message 12: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 96 comments How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire ID #263179

She's a demon hunter. He's a demon doctor in charge of a demon hospital.

Control #633

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 134 comments Pleasure Unbound ID #2679633

She travels to Ireland to find her sister's murderer. She discovers that she is a fae slayer and is taken in by a mysterious and ruthless bookstore owner.

Control #750

message 14: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 97 comments Darkfever ID# 112750

Heroine is a death row inmate turned poison taste tester, who has uncontrolled magical powers.

Control# 510

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 134 comments I know the book but I'm not creative enough to come up with another clue. LOL!

message 16: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Nov 05, 2010 05:27PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
Poison Study ID# 60510

He is an ex-ops soldier turned illegal cage fighter. She is the lawyer assigned to his case. Their romance plays an important role in a crucial battle between good and evil.

Control# 882

(Great game idea, Jan)

message 17: by Milamila (last edited Nov 05, 2010 05:44PM) (new)

Milamila | 19 comments What a fun game!

Poison Study ID# 60510

The leading lady is a girl who's been put in a mental institution-school after a schoolfriend of hers mysteriously dies in a fire of which she has almost no recollection off. For some reason she can't explain she is fascinated (obsessed) by a boy who is clearly not interested in her.
She also see's some dark shadows now and then...

controlnumber: 308

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (splue) | 11 comments FallenFallen ID#935

The heroine is part of a were pack, she meets a human boy on a mountain and saves him from a bear, and they fall for each other. However she is mated with another boy, but she starts to doubt her purpose in her "pack".

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (splue) | 11 comments sorry I couldn't find the control number, and not sure if I got the ID number correct

message 20: by Mersediez Szabo (new)

Mersediez Szabo answer to sarah:
NIGHTSHADE

The heroine is a decendent of dragons. the hero hunts her kind. The heroines pack (not werewolves) wants to control her so her mom and twin force here to run to the desert and attend school where she runs into the hero, things get heated from there out.

message 21: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 2 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "Poison Study ID# 60510

He is an ex-ops soldier turned illegal cage fighter. She is the lawyer assigned to his case. Their romance plays an important role in a crucial battle between ..."

[book:Crave|#7828882
He is a mute warrior with a tortured past. She is an assassin abducted by his arch enemy. He and his warrior brothers fight slayers out to eradicate thieir kind.

message 22: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) ok. Wrapping up loose ends. Please make sure you're answering the last question before answering, to avoid simultaneous open challenges!

I'm very glad everybody seems to enjoy the game though!

Mersediez' one is Firelight I think, but not 100% sure since there isn't a control number.

Tiffany's is
Lover Mine ID: 7046495

New challenge:
She's foul-mouthed, pretty kick-ass and has a gene that makes her very handy to have around when you're traveling long-distance in space.
He breaks her free her from the government prison she's in, to use her for a wild plan invented by an impressive but slightly crazy clanswoman.

Control Number: 067

message 23: by Mersediez Szabo (new)

Mersediez Szabo its firelight but i dont know how to do the control #

message 24: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Jessica wrote: "The Darkest Night ID is 476543

The heroine is a photographer who takes pictures of creepy places. The Hero is a super old half alien who lives in an underground facility.

Contr..."

Wouldn"t this be Lucan Thorne & Gabrielle Maxwell, from the first Night Breed book by Lara Adrian?

message 25: by Lora (new)

Lora Savchova (luxuria) | 313 comments Jan's is Grimspace
ID: 1828067

She's a succubus who doesn't want to corrupt decent men. He's a bestselling author who comes into her town and gets involved into the supernatural conflict.
Control Number: 718

message 26: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Richelle Mead's Succubus Blues
ID # 235718

She was looking forward to her senior year, until a Romanian exchange student showed up, claiming to be her fiance, and that she is a long-lost vampire princess.

Control #: 671

message 27: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey
ID #3389671

She's a teenage necromancer who gets admitted into a group home because everyone thinks she's crazy.

Control #0905

message 28: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 97 comments The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. ID 2800905

She restores theme park attractions and runs into demons at the latest assignment. Control # 0608

message 29: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 97 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. ID 2800905

She restores theme park attractions and runs into demons at the latest assignment. Control # 0608"

I seem to have broken the game. So here's a hint - it is the first paranormal from a well known contemporary romance author. She wrote this book and two others with a man.

message 30: by ☻Nikki☻ (new)

☻Nikki☻ C (nikkic1998) Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "She restores theme park attractions and runs into demons at the latest assignment. Control # 0608"

Wow! That one was hard. Thanks for the hint or I would have still been lost.

Wild Ride by Jennifer Crusie ID 6380608

She's a witch/bounty hunter. She quits her job to start a new job with a vampire and a pixy which causes her previous employers to put a contract out on her.
Control #0264

message 31: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (vegancleopatra) Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison ID 30264

She's a werewolf trying to run from this fact and from the one who turned her into one in the first place. But then her pack gets into trouble with the outcasts and she has to help them battle for their lives.

Control #918

message 32: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong ID # 11918

------

He is a shapeshifter trapped in an ancient riddle box. She is a psychic who has an affinity with steel. Together they will fight the Magi who had tortured him for centuries.

Control #: 479

message 33: by ☻Nikki☻ (new)

☻Nikki☻ C (nikkic1998) Tiger Eye by Marjorie M. Liu ID# 93479

--------------

She's a VW mechanic that happens to be able to shift into a coyote. She lives next door to the local Werewolf Alpha and is friends with a vampire.

Control #: 811

message 34: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Beyers (mandybeyers) | 34 comments Moon Called by Patricia Briggs ID # 71811

She is a mysterious, brilliant doctor running for her future (and maybe her life) after she discovers some very strange facts about her existence and the man she calls Father. He is a nearly-emotionless man who can control her mind that she meets at a far edge of the universe.

Control # 642