Karen Marie Moning discussion

Fever vs Highlander

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie | 4 comments My intent is to create a good debate with this post. I am a huge fan of the Highlander series, but I really don't like the Fever series. I think it is because there is not a happy ending with the Fever books and all the books have the same heroine. I love that all the Highlander books intermix, but each character gets their own happily ever after. Does anyone know if KMM plans on writing more in this series or starting a similar one?

message 2: by Laura (last edited Nov 02, 2010 06:01PM) (new)

Laura (highlandhussy) | 130 comments Mod
Last I saw, she has stopped the Highlanders but will be taking a spin-off series from the Fever world...I've heard it's either Dani or Christian.

ETA: I would so love to see another Highlander story.

message 3: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom Laurie-Highland Hussy wrote: "Last I saw, she has stopped the Highlanders but will be taking a spin-off series from the Fever world...I've heard it's either Dani or Christian.

ETA: I would so love to see another Highlander story."

I heard the same thing. I love both series and would love to see either of them get their own series.

message 4: by Narnies (new)

Narnies I heard she'd stopt with the Highlander series too.

I like that series, but I'm more of a Fever girl myself, and you can't say there's not HEA because the last book isn't out yet!

Although I have to say for the Highlander series, they keep getting better, the first couple I was like 'whaaa!?', but then I got me some Adam ;)

message 5: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 42 comments I like both series. They are very different in comparison, yet, somehow they are related.

From what I heard, the Fever Series will be HEA. And I've heard as well, KMM mentioned that the spin off will be Christian's. That means the Keltar's twins and Adam Black will make appearences. Yeah!!

message 6: by Laura (new)

Wan:
I'd heard it would be like he was a PI...did you hear that as well?

(and lol-I love me some Adam Black!)

message 7: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 42 comments what's a PI?

message 8: by Laura (new)

Private investigator. Sorry. I'd heard Christian would be a private investigator. It seems so far from the Highlanders and Fever series, though

message 9: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 42 comments I do believe somehow, KMM will tie all of these stories together. Don't forget the Keltars are Druids. Hmmm....private investigator for Artifacts.. may be?

message 10: by Ralph (new)

Ralph | 23 comments I for one would love to have those Druids back. Cian in particular. And what about Cian and Barrons, where do they stand w/ one another?
Recall that Cian was very powerful on his own, and only out of curiosity, and egging on by ____, did he go deeper and deeper into the dark side. He killed everyone in a village with one curse!
- - - - -
I for one like the Highlander Series for the clearness of the true spirit of the characters, and the internal discovery they all experience there.
Recently coming out of a divorce, I found that I wanted to listen to Adam's story twice, and that of his son finding _____. They both were good for me.
- - - - -
Did anyone else read (hear in my case) a disconnect on the immortality issue there? Whether Adam's son & wife do lose their souls. But that's for a different discussion group.

message 11: by Laura (new)

I thought at the end of Adam's book they did go talk to Circenn and Lisa about the souls v. immortality issue.

message 12: by Gaynell (new)

Gaynell (gaynellk) | 2 comments I thought that they were made mortal, too.

message 13: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 42 comments If you meant, the Highlander Touch - the way I read it. Circenn was already immortal and have been living for centuries. Lisa was at the end made immortal by drinking the same faery potion that Adam has been feeding Circenn. I don't think that they loose their souls because they didn't become faeries but they were made immortals.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Lisa and Circenn both drank the potion at the end of that one...but at the end of Immortal Highlander, in the epilogue it was mentioned Adam and Gabby visited them and made them both mortal

message 15: by Narnies (new)

Narnies mmmmmmm Adam.......

message 16: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 42 comments @Laurie - Don't remember that part at at all. I do remember that it reveals that Tessa, his daughter, has inherited an ability to see faeries. She is a Sidhe-seer just like Gabby. She also said that Aoibheal has mentioned Adam glowed golden, meaning he got a soul. Adam did get his soul and finally took the Druid wedding vow with his wife.

May be, we are not talking about the same version? Mine is hardcover?

message 17: by Laura (new)

Mine is paperback. I'm going to have to find quotes for us :)

message 18: by Narnies (new)

Narnies I got the ebook version and it also talks about Adam and Gabby visiting Lisa and Circenn and making them mortal :)

message 19: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 42 comments Laurie-Highland Hussy wrote: "Mine is paperback. I'm going to have to find quotes for us :)"

Please.. I totally miss this. Is that just me? Anyone else?

message 20: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Robertson | 12 comments Wan wrote: "If you meant, the Highlander Touch - the way I read it. Circenn was already immortal and have been living for centuries. Lisa was at the end made immortal by drinking the same faery potion that Ada..."

Circenn was made immortal secretly by Adam, it wasn't until about 10 years after it had been done that Cin noticed that he wasn't ageing and Adam confessed what he had done to Cin. That's where a lot of the conflict between Adam and Cin stemmed from. Cin and Adam both talked to Lisa and convinced her to become immortal by drinking the elixer. In Adam's story, when he finally realized that turning Gabby immortal and taking away her soul was wrong(He needed to give up immortality for her), he then decided to take both Cin and Lisa back to QA to return them mortal, Lisa and Cin still had their souls, not enough time had lapsed to extinguish the glow.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Thanks! You put it how I wanted to.

message 22: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Robertson | 12 comments Laurie-Highland Hussy wrote: "Thanks! You put it how I wanted to."

Your Welcome : )

message 23: by Laura (last edited Nov 06, 2010 06:46PM) (new)

Right before the epilogue: pg. 338 paperback

"Later, Adam told her everything. Well, nearly everything. He omitted that he'd almost taken her soul. And since she didn't know that he'd tricked them to begin with, he didn't bother mentioning that he'd told Circenn and Lisa the truth about the elixir of life, then taken them to the queen so she could restore them to their mortal state."

message 24: by ☻Nikki☻ (new)

☻Nikki☻ C (nikkic1998) I enjoyed the Highlander series. Definitely the last 4 books (Drustan, Daegus, Adam & Cian...mmmm). I think they were really, really good, BUT I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Fever Series. I guess I am more of an Urban Fiction kinda gal. I enjoy following the same characters throughout a series. I wasn't thrilled with the cliffhangers either but KMM definitely knows how to write and keep you riveted to the storyline. I LOVE Barrons. I am dying to find out what he is. I have read the Fever series twice thru and have taken notes trying to figure out what he is. KMM is so good at foreshadowing and I keep thinking I should be able to figure everything out but alas, I cannot.

The Highlander books are really good reads but if I have to compare them (which I really shouldn't do since they are a totally different style of books) I would have to choose Fever.

message 25: by Ralph (new)

Ralph | 23 comments Thank YOU Jenn! That was what I 'remembered'... sort of. I knew there was some change in his son's and D-I-Law's immortality, but I couldn't place it.
Thanks everyone!
- - - - -
I too am waiting for the upcoming Audio Fever, I heard the last thee books to and from Yellowstone (from Seattle) just before I started work on 8/3. An intense continuous-feed!

message 26: by Ralph (new)

Ralph | 23 comments I came across KMM by looking for time travel books of merit, and I'm sure glad I did.

The common thread between these two series is a modern woman finding herself unexpectedly immersed in... well, you know.
When listening to the McKeltar series I often found myself wanting to know more of what each man thought about this strange woman, whose affect is so alien to him.

Karen, if you're reading, I've always loved 1st & 3rd person reads, maybe a 1 + 3 view of the walls falling at Castle McKeltar?

message 27: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie | 4 comments I don't know if any of you have read the Janet Evanovitch, Stepahnie Plum Novels, but I lost interest after book maybe 9 or 10 and haven't read another, because the story has dragged on so much. I guess that is more my meaning than happily ever after, I am much to impatient to read several books to get that for the main character. I hope she decides to create another world where each book is focused on a different character.

message 28: by Elayne (new)

Elayne (elaynet) | 2 comments Mackenzie wrote: "My intent is to create a good debate with this post. I am a huge fan of the Highlander series, but I really don't like the Fever series. I think it is because there is not a happy ending with the..."

I think she's going to carry on with the fever characters, it seems as if the Highlanders have run there course, sadly :(

message 29: by Elayne (new)

Elayne (elaynet) | 2 comments I enjoyed the Fever series but I've gotta say The Highlanders are in a class of there own! These books live on in the memory, who can forget these brave, sexy,handsome, sexy (oops, stuck in a groove there ha!)men. Not me!!!!

message 30: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 1 comments I haven't read the Highlander series, but they are on my TBR pile. I'm much more of an UF kind of girl, which is why the Fever series appeals to me more. I prefer to follow the same characters throughout a story. I'm actually going to read the Highlander series so that I understand some of the characters from the Fever series in more depth.

Having said that, I absolutely adore the Fever series, and I can't wait to read more in the new spin off. KMM said in chat we would definitely see more Mac and Barrons in the future. Barrons makes my all-time top 5 UF characters list, easily.

message 31: by J. (new)

J. Lee (jleemckenzie) | 3 comments Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "I thought at the end of Adam's book they did go talk to Circenn and Lisa about the souls v. immortality issue."

They did. I forget exactly what was said but they fixed it so they wouldn't lose their souls.

message 32: by J. (last edited Apr 24, 2011 10:37AM) (new)

J. Lee (jleemckenzie) | 3 comments Mackenzie wrote: "My intent is to create a good debate with this post. I am a huge fan of the Highlander series, but I really don't like the Fever series. I think it is because there is not a happy ending with the..."

I completely agree with you. I adore the Highlander series, minus the constant reminders of how extremely gorgeous the main characters were in every single paragraph. I took from my review in this response.

The Fever series was a huge step for KMM. She bid familiarity and comfort a hefty farewell when taking on the task of relaying Mac’s story to the world. Unlike the paranormal romance genre that’s been wrapped around every word she’s written for years, Moning found herself lost in an Urban Fantasy, hearing the words directly from Mackayla Lane’s mouth rather than simply seeing the story unfold and writing it all down as it happens.

With bold, dynamic characters, and a story that leaves you guessing each and every time, she makes the change beautifully. However, despite how well the book was written, I did not enjoy it. I’ve adore every word Moning has written from book one but this is the first book I’ve ever read that made me feel as though it were sucking the life out of me. Except for the very first book, each following installment took me weeks to finish because I felt like I was suffocating more and more with each passing chapter. However, I’m sure that’s the way Mac was feeling also and it’s the author’s goal to have their readers feel what the character feels on every level. And KMM did this very well. It simply was not a feeling I enjoyed or would want to feel again.

The book was filled with mystery upon mystery…. Answers were never found only heightened within each installment. Once you thought you may be nearing the end of one conflict, another begins. It was as if KMM crammed every single twist and turn known to man into this series and there wasn’t a happy ending in site until the very end. But even then it didn’t feel completely like a happy ending.

This series simply wasn’t for me. Now, for people who enjoy this style of writing, Karen Marie Moning delivers one hundred percent…. As usual.

message 33: by J. (new)

J. Lee (jleemckenzie) | 3 comments Naru (Paperback Wonderland) wrote: "I love both the Highlander and the Fever series. Both are written remarkably well.

However if I had to choose between the two it would have to be the Highlander series. Merely for the fact that..."

While I didn't particularly care for the Fever series I totally agree she did an excellent job with the Urban Fantasy. She's a very dynamic writer.

message 34: by Irene (new)

Irene (joetal) | 3 comments Moning referred to the fever series as a "career change". I don't think they should be compared. I loved the Highlander series but yet had troubles reading them one after another because many of the elements repeat. They are very satisfying, feel good stories. However, the fever series is in another class itself. I love a story that needs 5 books to be told. I don't just want romance but love intrigue, suspense, mystery, and plot twists. I don't feel a need to analyse the fever series to bits. I just enjoyed the ride! The end was satisfying for me and I miss Mac a lot and can't wait to see her again. I especially enjoyed how unpredictable the fever series was and accepted that the storyline took on a life of its own and that pain and/or bad behaviour was a natural part of the process. With respect to the 5th book, I've never read a book before that could keep me so constantly rivetted for almost each page (in a 500-page book!). That takes quite a plot to do that. I hope she continues to create such unique stories. Since there are so many paranormal romance authors available, IMHO I think there are many that are similar and almost as good or equal to the Highlander books (although #6 & #7 are hard to beat!). That's true talent for an author to be capable of producing such exceptional books in different styles. I will continue to read whatever she publishes cause I love her writing so much!

message 35: by Ralph (new)

Ralph | 23 comments Irene, thanks for not spoiling anything, (I'm holding off on the 5th book, I don't want it to end!), and I have to agree with about everything you wrote.
I don't have a favorite, Fever / Highlander, they're both good at what they set out to do. Based on the length of the Fever series though, I like the prolonged suspense!

message 36: by Angela (last edited May 03, 2011 05:15AM) (new)

Angela (angbens) I so want a Christian story! I love the MacKelters!

message 37: by Gini (new)

Gini (chickenhawk) | 1 comments I love them both equally but differently :) LOL Karen writes such great stories that she always draws me in no matter what kind of story it is. When I read the first Fever book I didn't think I would like it, but by the end I was hooked!!

message 38: by Laura (new)

So has anyone read Fever Moon The Fear Dorcha by Karen Marie Moning

I think we should make a thread for discussion of that new little tidbit

message 39: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom I am hoping to get to it in the next week.

message 40: by Irene (new)

Irene (joetal) | 3 comments Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "So has anyone read Fever Moon The Fear Dorcha by Karen Marie Moning

I think we should make a thread for discussion of that new little tidbit"

Glad you brought it up. I checked out your review of Fever Moon...I didn't know much about this one (I've never read a graphic novel) and had no idea there was new fever material in it. Can't wait to get my hand on a copy now. Thanks...I so miss the Fever world!

message 41: by Laura (new)

It was a nice little glimpse back into the Fever world.

It dealt with the man who was at (oh crap, what's Ryoden's bar-Chester's?) anyway, it's the unseelie who was at the bar, but who had the tarot cards. It's a little short story about him and what's going on in Dublin.

What surprised me was how effortlessly KMM fit it into the plot. I never once felt like it was squeezed in and it never felt awkward. It flows with the series, and it fits well with Shadowfever.

message 42: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom n who was at (oh crap, what's Ryoden's bar-Chester's?) anyway, it's the unseelie who was at the bar, but who had the ta..."

-Thanks for that I can't wait now. : )

message 43: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie | 4 comments Naru wrote: "I love both the Highlander and the Fever series. Both are written remarkably well.

However if I had to choose between the two it would have to be the Highlander series. Merely for the fact that t..."

She has said that the Highlander series is finished. I do hope she creates another series of stand alone books, however.

message 44: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom Mackenzie wrote: "Naru wrote: "I love both the Highlander and the Fever series. Both are written remarkably well.

Me too. I think I would enjoy reading her grocery list. LOL

message 45: by Laura (new)

Yodamom wrote: "Mackenzie wrote: "Naru wrote: "I love both the Highlander and the Fever series. Both are written remarkably well.

Me too. I think I would enjoy reading her grocery list. LOL"

heh, I'd totally read KMM's grocery list ;)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I really want Quinn from To Tame a Highland Warrior to have his own story. I would love to read that. :)

message 47: by Laura (new)

I would too-I was really hoping to get a Christian MacKeltar book, but she's changed things around a bit, hasn't she?

It looks like the next 3 books will be Dani's perspective and then 3 more from Mac. I'm sad no more Highlanders.

message 48: by Michele (new)

Michele (michele67) | 4 comments Hi - does anybody know about this elixir of life factor in the Immortal Highlander (Adam Black) and how it is supposed to kill off a mortal's soul? Wasn't Mac given that elixir in Fae Fever (when she was raped)-(during his imprisonment in Shadowfever, Cruce told her he gave it to her) and as far as I can remember, the down sides of the elixir were not disclosed to her in any of the Fever books. Anyway. It is really nice to have a place to read your comments on some of the best books I have read in years. Thanks.

message 49: by Gam26 (new)

Gam26 | 1 comments She was not given the same elixir that Adam gave his son and his wife in Immortal Highlander. Cruse changed it and told her he didn't know what it would do to her. He had never given it to a human. So it's pretty wide open as to where KMM will go with it.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Especially being that Mac's humanity is up in the air. It's hinted she's...more than human now...

« previous 1