Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive > When you go back to pg 46, don't quote anything that could change the future!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Here is a place to post your time travel quotes.

message 2: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Kindred

I had seen people beaten on television and in the movies. I had seen the too-red blood substitute streaked across their backs and heard their well-rehearsed screams. But I hadn't lain nearby and smelled their sweat or heard them pleading and praying, shamed before their families and themselves.

message 3: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments From page 46 of Gideon the Cutpurse by Linda Buckley-Archer:

Peter crouched down, trying not to make a sound, and tipped his head to one side so that he could see her face. She looked pale through her freckles and was frowning. It made him sad to see her look so anxious even while she was asleep. He was on the point of touching her shoulder to wake her when something happened that he could not begin to understand. She appeared to be fading or dissolving into thin air. Peter stared at her, unable to believe what he was witnessing. He blinked and rubbed his eyes. There was no doubt about it, Kate was distinctly hazy. He made himself look all around him, at the ground strewn with yellowing leaves, at the ant marching toward his shoe, at the huge cobweb with a great fat spider waiting at its center. Everything else was in sharp focus, yet Kate was like an image on a poorly tuned television, flickering and fuzzy. In fact, you could see the tree trunk she was huddled up against right through her body. Peter felt a dreadful sense of panic come over him. Was she going to disappear altogether? "Kate!" Peter shouted. "Wake up!"

At the sound of his voice she snapped instantly back into focus, and it was a solid Kate who was on her feet in a second. "What's wrong?" she gasped. "Have the wolves come?"

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
The Eyre Affair

"Tamworth and I entered the lobby of Styx's property," I told them. "We took the stairs and on the sixth floor we heard the shot. We stopped and listened but there was complete silence. Tamworth thought we had been rumbled."

"You had been rumbled," announced Flanker. "From the transcript of the tape we know that Snood spoke Hades' name out loud. Hades picked up and reacted badly; he accused Styx of betraying him, retrieved the package and then killed his borther. Your suprise attack was no surprise. He knew you were both there."

message 5: by LynnB (last edited Nov 07, 2010 09:16PM) (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments p. 46 of To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

"Wait!", I said. "I don't know where it is I'm going."

"June seventh, 1888," she said, and resumed tapping.

"I mean, after that," I said trying to find an opening in the veils. "I didn't hear all of Mr. Dunworthy's instructions. Because of the time-lag." I pointed at my ear. "Difficulty Distinguishing Sounds."

"Difficulty in evidencing intelligence," she said. "I don't have time for this," and flounced out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

message 6: by Susan (new)

From Found, by Margaret Peterson Haddix:

"Monday morning," he said in a hoarse voice. "When I walked into school, I kept looking around thinking, 'I could have a brother or sister here, and I wouldn't even know it.' So I stared at everyone, looking for curly hair and long skinny legs and nostrils that flare out a little ..."

"Is that why you walked into that wall, on the way to lunch?" Jonah asked.

"Uh, yeah," Chip said. He sounded embarrassed.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments From p 449 of To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

Somewhat toward the end of the book so a minor spoiler alert for those still reading.

"Ned," Verity said, stepping back, her greenish-brown eyes wide.
"Harriet," I said, and pulled her back into the already shining net.
And kissed her for a hundred and sixty-nine years.

message 8: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Two quotes from The Time Traveler's Wife, neither from page 46 I'm afraid:

"...now that I've gotten past the dark, foreboding entrance, I am excited. I have a sort of Christmas-morning sense of the library as a big box full of beautiful books." I sooooo agree!

"But don't you think" I persist, "that it's better to be extremely happy for a short while, even if you lose it, than to be just okay for your whole life?" I wonder....

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
From Kindred by Octavia E. Butler:

"I'm a joke as far as Buz is concerned. He thinks people are strange if they even read books. Besides," I added bitterly, "what would a writer be doing working out of a slave market?"

"Keeping herself in rent and hamburgers, I guess. That's what I'm doing working at a warehouse."

message 10: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Pg. 46 from First Among Sequels

"Thursday?" I said testily. "Have you been doing feng shui on my desk again?"
"It was more of a harmonization, really," she said somewhat sheepishly.
"Well don't."
"Why not?"
"Just...just don't."

message 11: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments I added two quotes from Time Cat: The Remarkable Journeys of Jason and Gareth by Lloyd Alexander to my favorite quotes here on Goodreads. The first is from the author's note and the other is from the text of the book itself, Gareth (the cat) talking to Jason (the boy):

"Books can truly change our lives: the lives of those who read them, the lives of those who write them. Readers and writers alike discover things they never knew about the world and about themselves."

"The only thing a cat worries about is what's happening right now. As we tell the kittens, you can only wash one paw at a time."

I really like that second one, Luann.

message 13: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Thanks, Lyn! I recommend the book for all cat lovers! It has lots of cat-related behavior/wisdom/attitude like that. That one was my favorite.

I might have to check it out, Luann. I have a dog currently, who I love, but I am a cat person at heart and still miss my first pet, who was a cat.

message 15: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments I consider myself to be a dog person. But right now we currently have a cat and no dog. :) But I do like cats, too. And the cat we have right now is a really good one.

I had to post another from Kindred. It is from page 80 of the version that I am reading, which is the Nook version:

"And I began to realize why Kevin and I had fitted so easily into this time. We weren't really in. We were observers watching a show. We were watching history happen around us. And we were actors. While we waited to go home, we humored the people around us by pretending to be like them. But we were poor actors. We never really got into our roles. We never forgot that we were acting."

This book is sooooo good.

message 17: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Page 46 of The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

I felt assured that the Time Machine was only to be recovered by boldly penetrating these underground mysteries. Yet I could not face the mystery. If only I had had a companion it would have been different. But I was so horribly alone, and even to clamber down into the darkness of the well apalled me. I don't know if you will understand my feeling, but I never felt quite safe at my back.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock

"Tell me, John, do you know how long Tiberius has ruled in Rome?" He had not had the chance to ask the question again until now.
"Fourteen years."
It was A.D. 28 -- something less than a year before the date when most scholars agreed that the crucifixion had taken place, and his timne machine was smashed.

message 19: by Crystal (new)

Crystal "I need clothes. Yes. Indeed."

That's what I am thinking and that is why I am going shopping.

message 20: by Susan (new)

The Cure by Sonia Levitin

The man leaves. The chill remains. Silence holds everyone still as a stone. Silently I pick up the coins and put them away, and I feel dirty.

"How dare he come here!" I burst out.

From A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle:

Light began to pulse and quiver. Meg blinked and shoved shakily at her glasses and there was Charles Wallace standing indignantly in front of her, his hands on his hips. "Meg!" he shouted. "Calvin! Where are you?"

She saw Charles, she heard him, but she could not go to him. She could not shove through the strange, trembling light to meet him.

message 22: by Susan (new)

From The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier

The thought of Vita arriving in the country within a few hours came as a shock. The days I had thought my own, with complete freedom to plan as I wished, would be upset by telephone calls, demands, questions, the whole paraphernalia of life en famille. Somehow, before the first telephone call came through, I must be ready with a delaying device, some scheme to keep her and the boys in London for at least another few days.