Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Other Book Related Discussions > Weekly Tête-à-Tête - New Release Timing

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
I was looking at the new releases I'm going to be getting this month and noticed there was only 1! That is so low. Most months feel like there's at least half a dozen books coming out that I plan on buying right away.

Do you have slow months for new releases too? Do you take the opportunity to get caught up on other books or stand-alones? Or do you wait to read things until later so you don't notice the ups & downs of new releases?

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Nov 01, 2010 10:36AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I don't notice new releases because I can't afford to buy them at those hardcover prices. If I do want to read a new release, I tend to put myself on the library's waiting list... if they even will get it. I'm also pretty new to PNR/UF so new releases don't affect me as much because I'm not caught up in the long series yet. However... anxiously awaiting the new Sookie Stackhouse releases for next year. Dead Reckoning is #11 and comes out in May and The Sookie Stackhouse Companion comes out Feb 1st, 2011 (with a new novella including Quinn). (The one series I am caught up on! hehe)

message 3: by Lily (last edited Nov 01, 2010 02:46PM) (new)

Lily (lilithesque) Well, because most of my new releases are through the library, I note when they come out, and often have them on reserve, but often there is an uneven delay til when I get it. (for example still waiting for "The Fall", while Briggs' "Masques" came through fast. So release date and my turn in the reserve que do not predict when I will lay my hands on a book. Anyway, since I started blogging about books, and making my wish list and reserving books online at my library, I always have so many books waiting for me at the library it is hardly noticable if there is a lull in new releases. My pile right now is scary!

message 4: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (yabadabasinskas) | 2 comments I have a habit of reading the new releases as soon as they come out. This means that I usually have very slow months, which makes me very sad. However, if I know there is going to be a upcoming release of a book in a series, I will reread some of the earlier books in the series.

I try to pace myself, but apparently I read too fast for my own good!

message 5: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) I edited my response. it was kinda scattered. That happens when I sneak in some blogging while at work, between stuff.

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "I don't notice new releases because I can't afford to buy them at those hardcover prices. If I do want to read a new release, I tend to put myself on the library's waiting list... if they even will..."

This was my approach with one additional caveat ... I'm running out of bookshelf space even though I try to insist on actually buying/owning books I want to keep to re-read. We are 20 miles from town and the library, however, try to schedule one town trip a month (I hate going to town and shopping) and often a book will come in on reserve at an odd time, which means at least one and sometimes two additional 40-mile round trips for one book, as the new reserve books can only be checked out for 2 weeks rather than 30 days like the others.

Enter KINDLE into my life and it seems I have created a monster. I recently penciled out the actual costs of a trip to town and back (diesel pickup @ 17 miles per gallon and fuel at $3.75 average per gallon).

One trip to pick up the reserve book at the library not combined with the regular monthly grocery shopping trip is about the same as the lower priced Kindle books at $7/$9 ... if a second trip is required to return it that can't be combined, that is even more expensive than the higher priced Kindle books at $12/$14.

Bookshelf space is not an issue with Kindle.

I have created a monster.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Wow Sharon. Glad you did your math. My public library is literally just about a mile or so from the house. In warm weather I've borrowed my Dad's bicycle with a backpack and peddled down to it. (Just means I can't borrow too many that way. lol)