Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Worst quotes/lines you've ever read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 131 (131 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka Because sometimes, even in good books, there are some lines you read and then you're like "What. Is. That. Shit ?"

I don't have time now to make a proper list of my own, so I'll just give this one :

"My brother. My son."
-Edward Cullen to Jacob Black (Breaking Dawn, Stephenie Meyer)

I'll never get over this one D:

message 2: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments Haha! I remember reading that with one with great bewilderment (and amusement) :D

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi That line WAS horrid Cecilia. I could go through almost all the Twilight series books and find many many quotes I hated... but then I would have to go through them!

message 4: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) That line was HORRIBLE!!

"Call me Patch. No I mean it. Call me." BIG EYE ROLL!!! Can't you see him shooting the finger guns and clickling his mouth?

message 5: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I wish I kept track of the worse lines for this...

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Bluemoon wrote: "I hate the drug quote in Twilight. I'm not really sure exactly the words, but yea, totally dumb!"

Yup that was one I was thinking of too "My own personal heroin" or some such nonsense.

message 7: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka "You're my brand of heroin" XD Junkie Eddie, junkie !

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Ugh! That's it!

message 9: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka Edward really says a lot of bullshit sometimes. One of the worst passages I've ever read with him (not couragous enough to go check the exact words) is when he asks Jacob, in Breaking Dawn [SPOILER][SPOILER][SPOILER] to knock-up Bella if she really wants a child. I was like "huh ???" the entire scene. And then when Jacob fantasized about Bella, I was almost ashamed to read the lines because, God, Edward was seeing the pictures in his head. D: That's creepy.

message 10: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) I personally wasn't a big fan of the Lion and Lamb quote from Twilight...

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments I really did love twilight, but I agree it had some of the sappiest, eye-rolling quotes.

message 12: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments They seemed forced

message 13: by Dija (new)

Dija Ottilie wrote: "They seemed forced"

And fake. And ridiculous. And annoying. And puke-worthy. And cheesy. And cliched. And just plan HORRIBLE.

Another line that I've had about enough of is the "Gold on gray" one from the Elemental Assassins novels. It was nice for about the first 2 times, but became waaaay repetitive about the 50th time around.

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie S. "Who is John Galt?" in Atlas Shrugged. It was not too bad of a saying, but they said it way too much.

message 15: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Not really a line, but the obsession with coffee the author had in the Ranger's Apprentice series really got on my nerves. In about the fourth book on it talked about them having coffee every other paragraph and thinking about coffee in all the paragraphs in between. Really incredibly annoying!

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I also don't know if there is a particular line, but in Linger I got sooooo tired of the sappy talk between Sam and Grace. Barf.

message 17: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka Oh, coffee, that makes me think of The Time Traveler's Wife. I love coffee, I really do, but just like you, I was really sick of seeing coffee almost at every page. It's so annoying to read repetitions like that. I can understand repetitions to emphasize something really important about a character or the plot. But who cares if one likes coffee ?

message 18: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments That was my thought exactly Cecilia. Who gives a freakin fart if they like coffee or not? Saying it once is plenty, but after seeing it for the tenth time I was bored. Seeing it for the 50th time I was annoyed, and seeing it for the 100th time (literally) I was downright disgusted.

message 19: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka Gosh, no wonder the book is long, lol XD Take off all the coffees and the book will sure weigh less \o/

message 20: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Becca wrote: "Not really a line, but the obsession with coffee the author had in the Ranger's Apprentice series really got on my nerves. In about the fourth book on it talked about them having coffee every other..."

Haha. The author of the Millennium trilogy does that a lot too. Every other sentence is like "And then they made some more coffee!" And at one point he wrote about Lisbeth buying furniture from Ikea and he spent, like, two whole pages listing the name of each item she bought … I still love the books, and I know he died before they were published sooo I guess there wasn't time to edit out all the extraneous details, but they're still a bit annoying. :/

message 21: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 17 comments Not YA but in the Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody series, "his saturnine eyes" in every damn book, several times. Enough already.

message 22: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Brigid how about the amount of mini pizza's Lisbeth bought in book 2??? Missjean I tried the first Amelia Peabody mystery, but it bored me.

message 23: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Haha that too :D

message 24: by Smiliepeople (new)

Smiliepeople | 7 comments I'm not sure this even counts as a line but..."Hehe. Boobies" from Marked by P.C. Cast. The entire book is full of cringeworthy, I-can't-believe-you-just-said-that lines but this is probably the worst and so not what I wanted to hear in the middle of a majorly important conversation

message 25: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka I remember there were lines in the first book that bothered me, indeed. I was like "is this really adequate here ? o_O"

message 26: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 58 comments I love all the Twilight books, but I agree. "My brother, my son" from Breaking Dawn just about made me put the book down and walk away.

On another note, pretty much anything Bill says in the Sookie Stackhouse series annoys me LOL

message 27: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Latasha wrote: "I love all the Twilight books, but I agree. "My brother, my son" from Breaking Dawn just about made me put the book down and walk away.

On another note, pretty much anything Bill says in the So..."

OMG that brother son comment gets me everytime.

message 28: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Everyone keeps mentioning that line, but I really have no memory of it!! Though I mostly just skimmed and tried to stop myself from throwing it in my pool...

message 29: by Heidi (last edited Dec 10, 2010 09:54AM) (new)

Heidi Ottilie wrote: "Everyone keeps mentioning that line, but I really have no memory of it!! Though I mostly just skimmed and tried to stop myself from throwing it in my pool..."

You must have skipped it because it just stuck out like a sore thumb. I wonder if Stephanie chuckled to herself when she wrote that line down. What kind of editor let that thing pass?

message 30: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 58 comments What kind of editor would let her continue after the honeymoon scene?? Lol

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Ha... I admit to getting sucked in to the Twilight series. I enjoyed it. But I HATED Breaking Dawn. Agreed Latasha. Everything after the honeymoon was just awful! And the "My brother, my son" lines was pretty bad.

message 32: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Breaking Dawn was what can i possibly babble about for like 800 pages? she could have put the wedding as the epilgue at the end of eclispe and be done with it, but NOPES. edward was so whinny in that book!

message 33: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 58 comments I was mainly mad that Edward didn't just kill Jacob :) that would have made me like that book a lot more!

message 34: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments he doesn't have enough testerone for that

message 35: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 58 comments HAHA ooh burn. I beg to differ but to each her own.

message 36: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments haha sorry I prefer stronger men so I get a little judgemental

message 37: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 58 comments Edward is freakishly strong! He could crush Bella with his hands (I only wish). But I think you mean emotional? lol

message 38: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments haha yeah I meant emotional strength, I prefer manlier men, haha if he had strangled her like we all wished we would have been spared 3 more books

message 39: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 58 comments But then we couldn't have heard about him biting pillows and busting headboards! Lol

message 40: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments hahaha you forgot about feathers filling the room!!

message 41: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka Edward the Chicken. :P

message 42: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Latasha wrote: "But then we couldn't have heard about him biting pillows and busting headboards! Lol"

Ha! That was horrible. Steph needs to read some Black Dagger books to see how a crazy sex scene is written.

message 43: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 58 comments I totally agree, but can you imagine the uproar if millions of pre-teen girls were reading that! I would have died a happy woman, but I'm sure Stephanie would have been lynched.

I feel my temperature rising just thinking about all the possibilities of that re-write ;)

message 44: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Oh I'm sure there is some fan fiction re-write out there Latasha!

message 45: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 58 comments Ha ha *furiously googling Twilight fan fic*

message 46: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Heidi I wrote: "Oh I'm sure there is some fan fiction re-write out there Latasha!"

yeah, there is...I've read it.

message 47: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Ha! I knew it Amanda.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 36 comments Ringworld. Not YA but "penetrated" and "impaled" should never be synonyms. D:

message 49: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 58 comments Agreed Nikki... impalement doesn't turn me on ;)

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Nikki wrote: "Ringworld. Not YA but "penetrated" and "impaled" should never be synonyms. D:"

ha, I agree.

« previous 1 3