Start by marking “Halo (Halo, #1)” as Want to Read:
Halo (Halo, #1)

Halo

(Halo #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  61,704 ratings  ·  4,312 reviews
An angel is sent to Earth on a mission.
But falling in love is not part of the plan.

Three angels – Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human – are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their
Hardcover, First Edition, 485 pages
Published August 31st 2010 by Feiwel & Friends (first published January 8th 2010)

·  61,704 ratings  ·  4,312 reviews

Kiki
Feb 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Floppy-haired preps
Recommended to Kiki by: A floppy-haired prep
One star for unintentional comedy. And that is all.
K
Apr 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Preteens who like to read garbage
Shelves: stupid

WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN??? This has to be one of the WORST books ever written. Everything in this book annoyed me. It was terrible in every way: badly thought-out plot, hypocritically religious, with really (and I mean really) shallow characters. Did I mention it is was a hypocritical book? Can I emphasis on hypocritical? I'm not even a Catholic! But this book, it just... ARGGHHH!!!It is so frustrating, I cannot describe it in words.

To be honest, it was the Catholic's version of Twilight. I felt like the a
Kat Kennedy
Reading this book was like watching Sinbad or Atlantis or any other one of those rubbish Disney movies that wanted to be like their original Princess classics but also new and fresh and imaginative.

It's lame. It wants to be classic and awesome but also new and different (and I use the word "different" with all the superiorly quasi-amusement of someone trying to praise a child and has nothing more positive to say. "Yes, Jenny, I see that you've put glue in your hair. That's so...diffe
Cait
Jun 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Honestly, I think when I read this book, my brain cells died a little bit.

First of all, Bethany is a total idiot and is so clueless that I don't know how she even remembered to breathe when she woke up every morning.

Bethany: *wakes up in the morning and starts turning blue and thinks, ohhhh what am I supposed to do? It's really important...... *

Me: yes! Die, Bethany, die!

Bethany: *body begins to spasm as it's deprived of air it's on the tip of my tongue.... *

Me: No you don't! It's all a dream; you
Kogiopsis
Halo is a truly epic tale. Set in a dystopian world which has been ravaged by war, it follows two people: Bethany, an angel sent to riot-torn Los Angeles to save as many of the remaining citizens as she can and Xavier, a damaged boy she struggles to befriend and heal of his emotional wounds. As she works, another war is brewing - this one highly localized and poised to set the city ablaze yet again, ruining all of her efforts.

Oh, no, wait, that's not it. Let me try again... oh, I've got it!
Sana
dnf @ like, 90 something %

i want to die more than i've ever wanted to die before.
Wendy Darling
Given some practice in character and plot development, experience with real relationships, and some life perspective, it's possible this 18-year-old author might produce an interesting book at some point. As it stands, however, it's unreasonable to expect the average teenager to tackle such weighty subjects as love and evil and faith and redemption with any convincing measure of depth or insight.
Katya
Mar 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011, the-ya-project
Edit: June 2011

Mac Mcclelland is a humanitaries journalist who experienced PTSD after working with rape survivors in Haiti. She was never sexually assaulted, but nevertheless experienced panic attacks, sickness, and got drunk every night in order to deal with it. Afterwards, she went through a tough period.

She and her fellow journalists who go to 'hot zones' like Haiti, Egypt, Syria and Lybia are under enorm
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
My GOD, how could anyone possibly finish this piece of crap? x_x I gave up after several chapters because it was just so bad. Not even the funny kind of bad. Just plain bad. It took a while for my brain cells to heal fully.

I'll continue this book once giant unicorns poop out chocolate-flavored rainbows from the sky while wearing tutus and singing "Born This Way".

Taneika
Oct 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussie-ya
More of my reviews can be found at Flipping Through the Pages!

A taxi I caught recently had the craziest driver I have ever met. The minute I got in the taxi, he asked me if I was interested in politics, I said yes, I've studied it and I still try to keep up with the latest... He took that as an invitation to start preaching to me about the political party that he supports. He gave me the party's newspaper in which this political party compares the QUEEN to HITLER. They also have the nerve to
Krystle
Apr 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book has me raging like you wouldn't believe.

First of all, the pacing of this book was extremely, *extreeeeeeeeemely* slow. I bet watching the faucet run would be more exciting than this. And why is this? The insane massive amounts of info-dumping in the beginning. Like, seriously, you get the WHOLE deals about EVERYTHING you needed to know in the angel history and on and on and onnnnn. Then there's PAGES and PAGES where there consists of actually NOTHING happening and it's main
Varian Rose
Aug 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People willing to kill their brain cells
Recommended to Varian Rose by: I got sucked in by the five star reviews
Please God, tell me your angels aren't like this!

You know how a song plays through your head when you read a book, and the lyrics remind you of the story? Well, the song was "Angel Of Light" by Dark Lay Still, and one line in particular stuck with me.

"Haunting beauty masks your ill intent."

The cover of this book is beautiful. What's inside is ugly.

The message I got from this book was: be a good Christian, go to church every Sunday, and if you’re different in any way, you can/>The
Anna
Sep 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mythology, library
description

Yep, that was me while reading this book. Sad, no?

Oh, and before I forget:

Dear Alexandra Adornetto,

description

Nic
Jul 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
Disappointment was hiding behind that pretty cover. I couldn't finish Halo. I usually love stories about angels and the cover is beautiful (I'm a bit of a cover slut) but I found this book boring, so in the end I gave up. I felt like I had to force myself to read on. There has been so many angel books out recently that I was looking for that something special and unfortunately this wasn't it for me. I don't know if I gave it a fair chance reading only 100 pages so maybe one day I'll come back an ...more
Laurel

*There are spoilers somewhere. Whatever.*

I don’t have enough snark on Goodreads. Granted, snark has been around and around and around this site and my addition of snark into the Halo series will drown in the other snark-filled reviews that will have clearly better points than me. Even so, I felt that I had to read this so I could join the Snark Army and contribute to the world and try to save fellow readers from this big, fat, ugly mess.

Mess....

“Mess” doesn’t quite do it for me. I could go with poor excuse for literature. I
Christine
Mar 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
(Originally posted on Read All Over Reviews)

I was so excited when I landed a spot on Good Golly Miss Holly’s ARC Tour for Halo. I’m all about some angels and the premise for this book sounded promising. And then I actually read it.

I seriously worry about the future of women (and feminism) when there’s things like this and Twilight guiding our youth … and adults. I know that may be harsh, but I’m losing my patience. Halo was practically Twilight, but with wings.

First, you’d
Ceilidh
Dec 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Oh goody, it’s angels again. My track record with angels in YA is dark to say the least. We’ve had one book thrown against a wall and another book so awful I couldn’t help but wonder if it was part of some Richard Dawkins style orchestrated plot to prove how awful religion is (not that any of these terrible books are in any way connected to religion beyond bastardising some of the most interesting elements of Christian mythology, but I digress.) I never swore to not review another angel orientat ...more
Jasprit
When I first saw the cover to Halo I was immediately drawn to it, what a beautiful cover! My instant thoughts were beautiful cover, beautiful story too right? This wasn’t entirely true. I had several issues with this book, hopefully my review won’t come across as a rant but explain the reasons behind me giving Halo only 1 star.

For what its worth Halo did start off pretty well, it told the story of three angels sent on a mission to “perform good deeds, acts of charity and kindness, to lead by ex
Enna Isilee
Review first posted (8-26-10) on http://www.squeakybooks.com/2010/08/h...

Review: The little evil voice inside of me was really hoping this book would be badly written. Why? Because the author is younger than me. Yup. I was jealous. I'm gonna have to come to terms with the fact that I'm growing up. (ew.)

And it was well written, very well written. This wasn't well written "for a seventeen year old" this was just well written. So why only 2 stars? Three reasons:

It's the same story we've read a million times. You know: two peo/>It's/>
Sandy
Reading Halo was like drinking straight from the syrup bottle. This book has got to be the most self-indulgent, overworked drivel I've read in a long time. I'm no literary snob, but this book was unbelievably sacchrine and cliche (and this is coming from someone who liked Twilight).

Please, give Alexandra Adornetto a word limit for the next book. There is no reason for this book to be almost 500 pages long. Where was the editor? I think we have a new purple prose queen. This book drip
Lisa
Mar 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Merary
Jun 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Oh believe me, I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYONE!!!
Recommended to Merary by: Got sucked by that hypnotizing cover and the hype
I . . . I'm speechless.
I don't have words to describe how terrible this book was.
Wait, I know.
Halo made me have an ongoing war between my neurons, each of them battling each to the front of the "fry zone", so every time I read a terrible passage (and believe me, there were plenty of those!), thousands of my neurons got murdered in a undignified way to that "fry zone". Now my neurons are kicking my mind for receiving a very undeserving punishment.
That feeling of hollowness on my forehead? Halo did that.
I'd never been so disgusted by a book in my life.
Every singlknow.
Patty
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Halo
By
Alexandra Adornetto

Halo is a book about angels. Specifically the angel Gabriel and his sisters…Ivy and Bethany. They have come to a small seaside town to begin to try to save it from some very dark forces that are threatening to take over all that is righteous and good within the town. A house has been readied for them…clothes are there and the three angels just sort of appear…wings tucked in and as normal as anyone can be. They do have to learn a few things and they do have
Adriana
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Halo was a fascinating book to read. Bethany is the youngest of the three angels that were sent to the small town to do good. It's her first experience as a human. I found it interesting how she was fascinated with human life and wanted to experience life as an ordinary teenage girl. Her character is very childlike, exploring life with innocence and curiosity. She falls in love and I think her relationship with Xavier was well developed and very pure. Just like how first loves are usually like. ...more
Zero vi Britannia
Everything I'm reading now
Is filled with stupid crap
And it was the same with Halo
I fell for Utter-shitto's trap
Everything that you said was true
This book was such a waste of time
After getting through with Halo
I want to commit a crime
Reading Halo. Halo. Halo.
Reading Halo. Halo. Halooooooo

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
++++
It's sad that a book can be so bad that it doesn't even piss you off. I'm sorry, but I cannot take this b
Savina M.
*Warning: review contains profanity and spoilers.*
This book deserves no stars.
When I read the first thirty percent, I thought I could make it. I thought I could get through this without permanent brain damage.
Oh no, I was wrong.

Bethany Church
Now, let's start off with our favorite protagonist, Bethany!
Do you know how long I laughed when I when I first learned Bethany's last name?
Five minutes. That's how funny I found it.
I was like," An angel whose last name is Church? That's fucking hilarious!"
But the problem with Bethany doesn't end at her last name. She's uselesswrong.
キラ
Jan 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: masochists
Recommended to キラ by: a sadist
So, I spent 3 hours writing a review for this book, and then Goodreads ate it. Fuck you, Goodreads, this book sucks too hard for me to suffer rewriting that review. Everyone else seems to have already touched on exactly the same reasons I hate this book anyway, and I have nothing new to add aside from some extremely creative cuss-words, and I don't know the Goodreads tolerance policy on what I can tell Adornetto to go do with a pineapple wrapped in barbed wire.

Fuck this book. I want
April
Apr 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
It's interesting how the phrase don't judge a book by it's cover works both ways. Sometimes an ugly book cover contains a beautiful story. Sometimes a gorgeous cover cloaks mediocre work. When I grabbed a copy of Halo at BEA, it was like getting a golden ticket. Halo was one of my highly anticipated reads. I mean, look at the awesome cover! However, I wound up incredibly disappointed.
Read the rest of my review here
Colleen Houck
I found I was very interested in Gabriel. Maybe because he was the oldest and I could relate to him the best. I think my favorite scene was actually when the demon showed up. He added a lot to the story. I had no idea the author wrote this book when she was only fourteen. Wow! I can't even imagine such a thing when I was that age.
Natalie Monroe
Halo, like, Hush, Hush or Fallen is one of those books that has a...reputation. I read a lot of negative reviews on it, mostly due to their entertainment value, before finally deciding to read it myself. And now, I'm here to add to that collection.

I'm not going to go to too much detail because it's already been thoroughly discussed in many other reviews. However, I will tell you that Bethany is the single most idiotic heroine I have ever had the misfortune of meeting. I even created a new shelf for her—'annoying heroin

• Heavenly (Heavenly, #1)
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • Book of Love (Knight Angels, #1)
  • Meridian (Fenestra, #1)
  • Angel Star (Angel Star, #1)
  • Exile (Mercy, #2)
  • Angel (Angel, #1)
  • A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
  • Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)
  • Bird Song (Grace, #2)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • Aerie and Reckoning (The Fallen, #3-4)
  • Fallen Angel (Fallen Angel, #1)
  • Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1)
  • Awakened (Prequel, The Guardian Legacy)
  • Endless (The Violet Eden Chapters, #4)
  • Dark Heart Rising (Dark Heart, #2)
  • A Touch Mortal (Sider #1)
Alexandra Emily Adornetto was born on the 18th of April 1992 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. She is the only child of an English Teacher and a Drama Teacher and attended, in her own words, "many" schools including MacRobertson Girls' High School, Ruyton Girls' School and Eltham College. She has loved stories for as long as she can remember. In 2006, she won the State Legacy Public Speaking comp ...more

Halo (3 books)
  • Hades (Halo, #2)
  • Heaven (Halo, #3)
“A man in love can do extraordinary things, I don’t care if you’re an angel, you’re my angel, and I won’t let you go.” 646 likes
“I thought you were gone forever, I thought you’d walked away from everything, because I failed, because I destroyed the only thing that ever mattered to me. I waited for you to come, but you didn’t.” 494 likes