Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Aussie Goodreads Book Swap

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cass - (new)

Cass -  Words on Paper (casswordsonpaper) How awesome would it be if Goodreads opened up its "US only" barriers and allowed people to add books for swap, no matter where they were? It'd be so convenient for those who use Bookmooch but either:

- can never find anyone from Australia with good books on offer
- don't have anymore mooch points
- have books that no one will mooch, so their ratio sucks :P

I know that EVERYONE in this group has books that they think are taking up spacing rather than filling that space purposefully.

message 2: by Mandapanda (last edited Oct 25, 2010 01:57AM) (new)

Mandapanda Yes I agree with you Cass. I have a few books I could swap too! Have you made any comments in the Goodreads Feednack group about introducing an international swap function? What is Bookmooch?

This topic is one that I wanted to explore more in the future and I'd be very interested to know what others in the group think. Maybe we could even have our own informal swap within the group.:)

message 3: by Cass - (last edited Oct 25, 2010 06:06AM) (new)

Cass -  Words on Paper (casswordsonpaper) That would be really cool! No I haven't. I uh, I can't seem to find it (which means I haven't been looking hard enough).

BookMooch is an international book swapping site. It's really good, but the Goodreads book swap seems a whole lot quicker and eliminates the point system (in BookMooch, you got 0.1 points per listed book for swap, and when you get 1 point you can "mooch" a book from a domestic member, or for 3 points you can "mooch" internationally. Alternatively, if your book gets mooched, you also receive points, depending on where you send.)

I'm sure lots of people would be interested in this. For now, make a list of books you would swap, and post the link to your list here. Then if another member wants a book, they can PM or whatever.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

(I'm hoping this isn't "illegal" in the Goodreads world.)

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I wouldn't think it would be against policy.

But don't feel like you're missing too much with swap. My wishlist books aren't showing up there. :(

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sorcha-sidhe) Cass - wrote: "How awesome would it be if Goodreads opened up its "US only" barriers and allowed people to add books for swap, no matter where they were? It'd be so convenient for those who use Bookmooch but eith..."

It'd be fantastic if Goodreads opened the swaps to Australia, or even created an Australian-based swap.

I give away a lot of books, and I love to swap books. Pretty much the only ones I keep are those I've received as gifts, my favourites (obviously), and the non-fiction books I've purchased myself. Everything else is up for grabs: I read too much to keep them all, so I generally register them at BookCrossing and then give them away. It'd be great to share them with fellow Goodreads members too. ;)

~S.

message 6: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Whitford | 30 comments Great idea!!

message 7: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda I'll work on my bookshelf in the next couple of weeks and add a link here to my books available for swap.:)

message 8: by Velvetink (last edited Oct 26, 2010 04:36AM) (new)

Velvetink | 136 comments Great idea! Should there be some system measuring the condition of the book, and would 2nd hand or x library books be allowed?

message 9: by Cass - (new)

Cass -  Words on Paper (casswordsonpaper) I think for now, if people just create swap lists, when people show interest in a swap book, you could disclose that information then. Second hand & ex library books are fair game so long as you let them know.

(If in the chance the person who wants to swap doesn't have a book you're interested in, you can decline, or ask that they pay for shipping, at the very least.)

That would be awesome if Goodreads could assume those features for swap. I contacted Goodreads; hopefully they can make an intl' swap officially, but for now this may work. Just let as many Aussies you know, know about it. The more interest this post gets the more chance something can be done about the current Goodreads swap situation.

-------

In any case, for now I'll wait for a response from Goodreads. (It's a bit late to be thinking so hard about stuff. :P) Have a swap list ready anyway; it'll make it a lot easier when a Goodreads swap happens!

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 21, 2011 02:58AM) (new)

Velvetink wrote: "Great idea! Should there be some system measuring the condition of the book, and would 2nd hand or x library books be allowed?"

There is a rating system in GR that allows you to say what the "contition" the book is in.

message 11: by Cass - (new)

Cass -  Words on Paper (casswordsonpaper) Cool! I never knew that before.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I stumbled across it just recently when I was bored one day.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sorcha-sidhe) I think individual swap list is a great idea! I am going to organise one, at some point. :)

~S.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 28, 2010 08:57PM) (new)

Sarah wrote: "I think individual swap list is a great idea! I am going to organise one, at some point. :)"

Sarah you have inspired me. I have created a bookshelf books-available-to-swap I made Exclusive so it sits near the top. I'm selfish of course, I will only part with books I really wasn't that fond of or am happy to part with.

edited: adding link books available to swap

message 15: by *MystGrrl Reviews* (last edited Oct 30, 2010 01:42AM) (new)

*MystGrrl Reviews* (mystgrrl) | 18 comments I've actually already sort of done a book swap with a fellow Aussie. I had a book she wanted & I posted it to her :-)

Here's my list, I think you just click on the GOODREADS icon:

my books-for-swapping shelf:
*MystGrrl*'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (books-for-swapping shelf)

my wishlist-books shelf:
*MystGrrl*'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (wishlist-books shelf)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you receive a book in return Heidy?

*MystGrrl Reviews* (mystgrrl) | 18 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Did you receive a book in return Heidy?"

Nah,I was just glad to help as the lady had the book in her "to-read" list and I had my copy in my books-for-swapping list. She offered to pay for the postage.

message 18: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 71687 comments Mod
Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I think individual swap list is a great idea! I am going to organise one, at some point. :)"

Sarah you have inspired me. I have created a bookshelf books-available-to-swap I made E..."

Hi Gail, how will this work??

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 114 comments Great idea, Myst. Might want to add a list of books you'd like in return.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I have no idea Brenda, it wasn't my idea. I just created a list. Maybe if you browse through my list you might see something you would like and I could send it to you. :)

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I did Gail, 'The Riders" by Tim Winton. But it's supposed to be swap...I've got nothing to swap with you.:(

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

No worries Brenda, I can post it to you and you can owe me one. PM your address to me. :)

message 23: by *MystGrrl Reviews* (last edited Oct 30, 2010 01:51AM) (new)

*MystGrrl Reviews* (mystgrrl) | 18 comments Jenny wrote: "Great idea, Myst. Might want to add a list of books you'd like in return."

Thanks for the heads up, re-edited my original message :-)

I've noticed that you can't see the book swapping shelves for people that have their settings to private, e.g. I was blocked from seeing the list that Cass has Linked in her message above. That's a bit of a set back...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Anything on my TBR is my wish list.

message 25: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Anything on my TBR is my wish list."

Thanks Gail...I looked thro your TBR list, and I don't have any of those, sorry..:(

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

No worries. I have so many books that I own on hand that I'm not in need of reading material at the moment.:)

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vaccaro (lisadv) Cass - wrote: "How awesome would it be if Goodreads opened up its "US only" barriers and allowed people to add books for swap, no matter where they were? It'd be so convenient for those who use Bookmooch but eith..."

I am on BookMooch too.
I spend alot sending books overseas which is disappointing as I would prefer to be sending them to other Aussies as there are so many other people on the other country lists. Admittedly this is also where most of my books come from that I mooch too.

Also some books - like hardcovers - I hesitate to put on my inventory because to expensive to post o/s but if I someone in AUstralia wanted it I would be happy to send.

I often check out peoples wishlists if they become my friend on BookMooch & will send them anything I have on it (that I am willing to part with), even if it is not in my inventory.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sorcha-sidhe) Hi everyone!

I'm looking to trade books from my "giveaways/trades" shelf in return for books on my wishlist, 1 for 1.

My trades shelf can be viewed at http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/..., and my wishlist is at http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/....

Please note that any books marked as "to-read" on my trades list are available immediately: These books have been sitting on my bookshelf for such a long time that I doubt I will ever get around to reading them.

If you have available any of my wishlist books and are happy to trade with me, please let me know either through Goodreads messaging, or by email to sorcha-sidhe@hotmail.com.

Thanks!
~S.

message 29: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Sarah wrote: "Hi everyone!

I'm looking to trade books from my "giveaways/trades" shelf in return for books on my wishlist, 1 for 1.

My trades shelf can be viewed at http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/287..."

Sarah, you have your profile set to private...I have done a friend request, the only way I can see if I have any you'd like, or you have any I'd like! :)

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sorcha-sidhe) Brenda wrote: "Sarah, you have your profile set to private...I have done a friend request, the only way I can see if I have any you'd like, or you have any I'd like! :)"

Thanks for letting me know! I didn't realise it was set to private, but I have changed it now so that any Goodreads member should be able to view my shelves. Let me know if it still doesn't work.

~S.

message 31: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Sarah wrote: "Hi everyone!

My trades shelf can be viewed at http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/287..."

Hi Sarah, I have Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Danann Frost Falls from Grace that I can send to you. I've read a few of your trades and the rest aren't my preferred genres so you don't need to send me anything. Send me a PM with your address and we'll be good to go!:)

message 32: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (ribbonista) | 2 comments Ok Bump this thread so it might some more notice and I will be constantly updating my free to swap/recycle shelf.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments How does the trade/swap thing actually work? I've probably got some books I could trade or something of the likes.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I created a list of books in my book shelves that I am prepared to trade. So far Brenda is the only one to check out my self. I sent her my copy of The Riders.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments Oh cool..Thanks! I shall get around to this sometime soon.

message 36: by Iris (new)

Iris Blobel (iris-b) | 127 comments that sounds great .... i hope i'll have time during the week to check this out !!!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

ok i think this thread died awhile ago but im bringing it back i only have one book i would like to swap or give away..t...but goodread readers are so much better :D
anyyhoo if any one would like a copy of The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer i have one up for grabs...its had a bit of puppy love..she tried to eat the top corner so its got little puppy teeth marks on the cover and the back cover is bent a little, other then that it just kind of looks like its been read about twice ...I didn't really like this one and I'm never going to read it again soo if someone out there would like to give it a loving home let me know :D

(if you want a pic of the book ill post one on here)