Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Are You Afraid Of The Dark?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Does everyone remember this show? It used to come on Nickelodeon? Oh, I used to love it.

Submitted for the approval of the midnight society....

Love it and wish I could have been in a midnight society.

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Must have been after my time. I was probably concerned about mortgages and full time work when it was on.

message 3: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments I loved that show. Used to watch it all the time after school and re-runs at weekends.

message 4: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Tressa. You make me laugh.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You young whippersnappers. *shakes head*

message 6: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments I am gonna be 32 in 2 weeks lady!!

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Ah, to be 32 again. I loved my thirties. Enjoy yours.

message 8: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristabela) | 121 comments I'm 32 now and I do not recall this show. That could be due to the fact that my parents wouldn't spring for cable. Yes, it was all local channels in my house. The one good thing about that - the channel 20 thriller double feature on Saturday afternoon. I'm quite sure that that single weekly event shaped who I am today.

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Pietro | 131 comments Zombette wrote: "Does everyone remember this show? It used to come on Nickelodeon? Oh, I used to love it.

Submitted for the approval of the midnight society....

Love it and wish I could have been in a midni..."

Haha! That was such a great show. When I was little every Saturday night I would watch Snick and Are you afraid of the dark was one of the great shows they showed. I loved how spooky they were. Check out amazon.com they have some DVDs of the show for sale. I was thinking of picking them up but would the show really be the same after all these years? Worth a watch however.

message 10: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) I'm 34 and I've heard of it but never watched it. I don't think we had Nickelodeon on our cable or it was past my time.

message 11: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments We didn't have cable when I was a kid....Plus I wasn't allowed to watch much....

message 12: by J (new)

J (blkdoggy) | 135 comments I'm also in the over 30 club. I remember , 'The Twilight Zone' , 'Night Gallery' , The Invaders, ' Creature feature' , 'Alfred Hitchcock presents' , Kolchack The night Stalker' . Do not recall 'Are you afraid of the dark ?' but I did not watch much Nickelodeon till my daughter came along. : )

message 13: by Felina (new)

Felina | 98 comments A friend of mine purchased the first season through Amazon and we had a fun time with it a few weeks ago. The acting is terrible but I loved it as a kid and I still remember a lot of the episodes. We decided to start a weekly Midnight Society but can't stay up that late. I'm only 26 but an old spirit.

message 14: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments "Are You Afraid of The Dark?" was my Twilight Zone. This show started my interest in the uncanny and terror. I'm afraid to watch it now though; afraid of spoiling my precious memories.

message 15: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) Jorge, I used to watch Night Gallery and Kolchak with my grandmother every night when I was little! About a year or so ago I rented the entire Kolchak series from Netflix and although it doesn't seem scary to me any longer the show still holds up.

message 16: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I use to tape on VHS Are you afraid of the dark then watch with my kids. We all like being scared.

message 17: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Jorge and Jaimie, my dad and I loved watching Kolchak every week, and also Night Gallery and TZ reruns.

message 18: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Of course I grew up on Tales From The Darkside, Monsters, Friday The 13th The Series, Tales From The Crypt. But being that my family loves horror I watch Night Gallery, Twilight Zone, Dark Shadows and all that jazz.

message 19: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments This is bringing back such great memories! I loved all those shows, plus where I lived, we had Saturday night "Shock Theater," on which they'd play a different horror movie every Saturday night. Ah, those were the days.

I'm not afraid of the dark -- just of what might be in it!

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Are You Afraid of the Dark was awesome as were all the classic antho shows. I was lucky enough to have cable in the 90s and si was addicted to watching the hours long runs of antho shows on Sci-fi and what Are you Afraid with my kid sister later in the afternoon. It was a much better show than Goosebumps. Better acting, better stories and every so often some real scares or creepiness.

message 21: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments I always thought that Goosebumps was aimed mainly at young preteens, while AYAOTD was developed for young teenagers.

Maybe someone will help me remember - Many years ago I saw, either on Goosebumps/AYAOTD a story where the entire school was being drugged and brainwashed through cafeteria food, I think it was fish pasta of some sort.
I especially rember it because it had a bad ending, whch was a rarity for these shows. It stood out so much that I remember it to this day.

message 22: by Natalie (last edited Nov 01, 2010 08:59PM) (new)

Natalie Pietro | 131 comments I think it must have been goosebumps. I don't remember that being on AYAOTD. The only school episode I remember was about a hippy ghost who was haunting a young girl to help her service the tragity that happened to her. Also AYAOTD always had happy endings so i can't see it being that. Yeah I wonder how many episodes we can remember if we start listing them.

message 23: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments I found it. It's a Goosebumps episode titled "Calling All Creeps!". Watching it right now.

message 24: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Pssssssssssssst. They are available on youtube.

message 25: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Glad all the classic shows are easily availible to watch for free on the web. It's a great pleasure to see them again after all these years.

message 26: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments I watched Are You Afraid Of the Dark every saturday night. Had to sneak it since I was supposed to be in bed early for church the next morning. I remember an episode having to do with a creepy clown. Scard the sh!t out of me. I think saturday night Nickelodeon back then was called Snick, and had Round House, Ren & Stimpy, AYAOTD, and I think All That. Those were the days...

message 27: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Pietro | 131 comments Dont forget snick all so had Clarissa explains it all. Where Melissa John Hart came from. It werid to see how many stars came from nickelodeon.

message 28: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments Natalie wrote: "Dont forget snick all so had Clarissa explains it all. Where Melissa John Hart came from. It werid to see how many stars came from nickelodeon."

I wanted to be Clarissa! She was such a "free spirit"!

message 29: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Pietro | 131 comments I know she was so cool and her lizard Elvis. Oh and her friend I forget his name who always entered through the window. I think Sam was his name. So fun I want a hip friend like that.

message 30: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 46 comments I loved "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" when I was young. I remember being impressed by it, because the endings were not always happy, contrary to what someone above stated. The episode I remember best is one where aliens came to where I boy lived in a house out in the woods.

message 31: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Pietro | 131 comments Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "I loved "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" when I was young. I remember being impressed by it, because the endings were not always happy, contrary to what someone above stated. "

Yes not all endings were happy but there were a few. For example taken from wikipedia:

Many of the horror stories on Are You Afraid of the Dark? ended with a "happy ending"; for example, in the episode "The Tale of the Lonely Ghost," a dead child and her elderly mother are reunited. Nearly every story focused on ending with a resolution and the main character's safe escape from whatever trouble had come upon them.
However, the occasional episode would deviate from this formula, usually ending with the demise of the character. In one notable case, "The Tale of the Dark Music", the unseen monster offers the lead character anything he wants in exchange for humans as food. The final scene shows the main character simply smiling and listening to his sister yell at him from above, implying he was going to feed her to the monster next. Another, more extreme example, is seen in "The Tale of Vampire Town", where the lead character, a goth character who is obsessed with vampires, abandons the dark clothing and such by the end of the episode, only to be killed by a vampire himself.

So I guess we get the best of both worlds. At least we can agree the show sure did give us the chills.
My fav had to be the old man who stayed young by stealing the beauty from others through the mirrors in his motel. Something about it was sweet yet sad at the same time.

message 32: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 46 comments Natalie wrote: "Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "I loved "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" when I was young. I remember being impressed by it, because the endings were not always happy, contrary to what someone above stated..."

Oh, of course there were some happy endings (probably most), but I was impressed (especially as a child) that there were any unhappy endings, particularly in a show created for children. It was very refreshing.

message 33: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 8 comments I was just talking about this show the other night. We had a fire going in our fireplace and I was trying to (jokingly)convince my husband that if you looked at it too long a demon would get loose or something. He laughed at me when I told him I saw it in an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark.

message 34: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Pietro | 131 comments Jamie wrote: "I was just talking about this show the other night. We had a fire going in our fireplace and I was trying to (jokingly)convince my husband that if you looked at it too long a demon would get loose ..."

That is too funny. I should tell that to my husband next time we have a fire. I do miss the show but not sure if they would be as good today as when I was a kid. Still I love the show.

message 35: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimcooper910) | 0 comments I used to watch this show ALL the time as a kid. I remember the first episode I ever watched was with a clown who liked cigars. I was showing my husband clips of it from Youtube the other day. Man, I've gotten braver over the years because they were lame. But they sure did scare the crap out of me as a kid.

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments I am so late to this thread, but oh man, I loved this show so much.
I even went back and found the episode that scared the mess out of me as a child, watched it again, and it's still ridiculously unsettling!

message 37: by Bob (new)

Bob (ilovepie) | 145 comments I also loved the show, well up until the late nineties to early thousands when they completely re-cast the entire campfire society, then both them and the stories really started to suck. They just felt really corny and watered down for kids, which the old episodes didn't.

message 38: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Lori, which episode do you speak of?

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) Natalie wrote: "Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "I loved "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" when I was young. I remember being impressed by it, because the endings were not always happy, contrary to what someone above stated..."

Another one with that kind of ending was the Tale of the Pinball Wizard. This was one of my favorite episodes because he had to level up and defeat the bosses and save the princess. He does all of this work only to be still stuck in the pinball machine. As a kid I always felt indignant.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 876 comments I just started watching some of this with my son recently. He actually got into it. Fun stuff.

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather | 171 comments My favorite was The Tale of the Dollmaker.

There is no dollmaker. The dollhouse's origins are never elaborated on. Ever. Nobody even brings it up other than to say they don't know why the real house had a door to nowhere.

Way creepier this way.

message 42: by Matthew (new)

Matthew I love this show, I actually bought a DVD set online that has every episode for around $30

message 43: by Heather (new)

Heather | 171 comments Right now I'm enjoying R.L. Stein's The Haunting Hour. Aside from lacking a framing device, it reminds me more strongly of AYAotD than Goosebumps.

sonny (no longer in use) (satyrica) | 226 comments the one about the red man/teen in the swimming pool gave me nightmares when I was little.

message 45: by Heather (new)

Heather | 171 comments I made the mistake of dozing off during the Haunting Hour's episode "Scarecrow." I will not be doing that again.

message 46: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7543 comments I do remember that show! Wow, that does bring me back. I use to watch it all the time. I watched alot of shows on Nickelodeon as a kid. I haven't watched that network in years. Makes me wonder if they still have shows on there anymore.

message 47: by Heather (new)

Heather | 171 comments They rerun it on the Hub or Nicktoons or something at Halloween. I hope The Haunting Hour starts putting out new episodes again.

Goosebumps is on Netflix for streaming. They need to add ARAotD and Haunting Hour.

message 48: by Heather (new)

Heather | 171 comments They rerun it on the Hub or Nicktoons or something at Halloween. I hope The Haunting Hour starts putting out new episodes again.

Goosebumps is on Netflix for streaming. They need to add ARAotD and Haunting Hour.

message 49: by Eden (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 41 comments I watched this show a lot when I was a kid. I just found out that the seasons are being released to DVD. I think three of the seasons are out alredy and a few are still for pre-order. I'm going to try to buy them soon.

message 50: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11132 comments Mod
I loved that show!! Mom would watch it with me & my sister and we all loved it! I had no idea it was out on DVD.

« previous 1