Axis Mundi X discussion

A Day in the Life > That's what I get for trying to be a good citizen

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Last week, I witnessed a car accident. I was right behind one of the cars that got hit. Instead of just driving off and figuring they could deal with it themselves, I stuck around to give my statement to the police.

Now I've been called every day by attorneys and insurance agents. I don't know how many more times I can talk about what happened. It's getting old real fast.

That's what I get for trying to do my civic duty.

message 2: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments You can count on lawyers to see that no good deed goes unpunished.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The worst part is, I'm totally anti-lawsuit. Well, I'm anti-punitive damages. I mean, I think they should be compensated for their car repairs and medical bills, but extra just to punish the defendant is silly.

On the other hand, the person who was at fault CLEARLY sped through a red light, that had been red for several seconds before they even approached the intersection, and should be held responsible. If I were the judge and jury, they'd get slapped with running a red light, reckless driving, and any other kind of traffic violation I could put on them, and they'd have to pay actual damages only.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Wow, they're just calling you out of nowhere? From both sides? What do they ask you? What a pain in the ass.

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Jul 16, 2008 02:51PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Actually the only calls I've received have been the attorneys and insurance claims adjuster from the side of the person who was NOT at fault.

They just ask me to tell my statement over and over. I think they want to know if anything changes. The attorney said I'm the key witness because I can testify that we had the green light. They ask the same questions: how long was my light green, were there any cars in between us, which lane was I in, where was the other car coming from, how fast were they going, were there any other cars in the intersection behind that car, etc...

I hope whatever they do settles out of court so I don't have to go testify or anything.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Incidentally, this accident happened after I was leaving the restaurant where I'd just had dinner with Michelle (Booby). She went out a different side of the parking lot and didn't see anything.

message 7: by Varmint (new)

Varmint how often do we really get the opportunity to do the right thing? you can help a victim, you can punish an idiot.

think of it that way, might make dealing with lawyers a little easier.

message 8: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
You're a very good citizen, Miss Sarah. I'm certain your actual reward will come later... perhaps in the form of an ice cream cone. : )

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ice cream would sure be good though.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I do have a gift card to Coldstone...

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 62 comments Dont worry your good deed will come back to you!i know this sounds cheesy but i believe in karma what goes around does come around

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 62 comments Im a nurse and for every patient that is really wonderful theres ten that are ungrateful and just plain mean!but its all worth it if i can help one person or even brighten there day a little!

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
Personally, I think you are going about this all wrong. You should come up with some story about being traumatized by all the lawyers on your answering machine. Tell them you have night terrors about the phone ringing. Be sure to throw in there that your Husband thinks you so go to the family lawyer::: insert some local attack dog lawyers name here::: and see about compensation for your mental anguish.

Of course next time you can just keep going unless it looks like someone was hurt. With the amount of cell phones per square mile I’m sure all parties concerned were well taken care of. Next time you witness an accident, just give the guilty party the finger. Then some other good samaritan can just say “Well I didn’t actually SEE the accident, but this woman looked really pissed off and gave that guy the finger. So you know I’m pretty sure he’s guilty.”

In today’s legal system, I am sure that hearsay would be more then enough to recoup damages.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Okay, that was some hiccup!

I get your point, Nick. You didn't have to tell me 7 times!

:( That was kind of ridiculous no? I don't know what happened there. Feel freed to delete all the extras

:( That was kind of ridiculous no? I don't know what happened there. Feel freed to delete all the extras

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I can't. You can. "edit"

message 18: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) That was horrible, Bunny. Watching that footage made you ashamed to be a human being.

Well, witnessing a man get run down in the middle of the street isn't exactly what I would classify as a fender bender. The most shocking thing about that was they guy just laid there and nobody went to him. Nobody tried to stop traffic nothing. That IS shameful.

But some jerk off hitting another car... Again unless there appears to be injuries, I'm not stopping.