Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Where is your favourite place to read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

We have had a brief (a little prolonged, it was fun:)) discussion on reading books in the bath. Where do you like to read? I read in bed, and on the train, on a comfy chair on the verandah anywhere really where I can find a nice quiet spot. Do your family and friends respect your reading time?

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (goodreadscomjovo) | 262 comments My preferred place to read is anywhere I'm not prevented from reading. I usually take a book when I go out on the off chance I might have to wait somewhere, and therefore I can legitimately read! When my kids were small the only place I wasn't interrupted was the loo. And then it didn't take long before they found me...

I think I breastfed my kids for as long as I did because it was a valid excuse for reading too!

message 3: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) | 0 comments I read anywhere and everywhere; in my bedroom, outside, in the living room, on the train.
My family respect my reading time. They know once I'm consumed in a book it's hard to get me out of it.

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 71757 comments Mod
My most favourite place to read is in bed before I go to sleep...I can read for min of an hour, and up to 2 or 3 if I can't put the book down!! But I also take my book with me if there's a long wait in the waiting room. Most places count as 'reading places'..:)

message 5: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments joanne said 'I think I breastfed my kids for as long as I did because it was a valid excuse for reading too!
'

me too ... my youngest, when he could talk and wanted to feed, would say 'lets go read a book'.

At the moment any prefered place is that where I get a few minutes peace to read, which is rare, even the loo is tricky.

I enjoy reading on the bus at the moment and can at times imagine I am being chauffer driven and reading(the illusion lasts until someone drunk and smelly sits next to you or falls on to you).

One of my favourite and decadent places to read when I was younger and single, which was a really nerdy thing to do, was to go to cheap restaurants by myself and eat, drink coffee or wine and read.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Dee-Ann wrote: "One of my favourite and decadent places to read when I was younger and single, which was a really nerdy thing to do, was to go to cheap restaurants by myself and eat, drink coffee or wine and read..."

That's awesome, not nerdy. I've never felt comfortable enough with myself to eat at a restaurant by myself. If I do find myself in a restaurant by myself (because I am habitually early -- lateness makes me stressed) I always have a book on hand to fill in the time.

message 7: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Dee-Ann wrote: "One of my favourite and decadent places to read when I was younger and single, which was a really nerdy thing to do, was to go to cheap restaurants by myself and eat, drink coffee or wine and read..."

I love going to the local cafe/restaurant on Sat/Sun mornings drinking a latte and reading. It's my favourite place to read the newspaper because you can spread it all out over the table. I find that lots of people do the same thing. It's relaxing and you can get a bit of 'people watching' in while you're at it!:)

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Delandro | 16 comments I find that anywhere with a decent light is a good place to read, I can even read while standing in the kitchen waiting for the water to boil before putting the pasta in for dinner, or waiting for my husband to get ready in the mornings. All of you with supportive families are lucky... my husband makes me feel guilty about reading, he does not think it is an appropreiate use of my time... that does not stop me though>>:P

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Awhhhh, well there is supportive and supportive. While my husband is happy to buy me books, he considers my reading time, time when he can come in interrupt any time he likes and I am supposed to stop and pay attention (instantly). This doesn't seem to be the case when I would like to talk to him while he is watching television.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Delandro | 16 comments Yes, I agree with you there.... Men do still seem to think that they are somehow in charge of how we spend our time.. (no wonder they are frustrated by us :P)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I wouldn't like to put them all in this category. I am sure all the boys in this group are supportive of reading habits. :D

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (goodreadscomjovo) | 262 comments Mandy wrote: "Dee-Ann wrote: "One of my favourite and decadent places to read when I was younger and single, which was a really nerdy thing to do, was to go to cheap restaurants by myself and eat, drink coffee o..."

This would have to be my absolute favourite reading place too - someone to bring coffee while I read! I do it as often as I can get away with it. Not often enough...

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Delandro | 16 comments My Absolute Favorite time to read is when everyone in the house has gone to bed-- (= no interuptions)
I meant no disrespect to the men who are Goodreads members... after all they are infected with the reading bug as well !!!!

message 14: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Carmel wrote: "Every Saturday morning I take my novel I'm currently reading & go to one of our local smaller shopping centres where they have a cafe area which is set aside from the shops & take time out to read ..."

That sounds like a wonderful idea Carmel, I love the cafe idea.:)
I'm afraid my household chores suffer badly when I have a good book in my hand...which is pretty often!:)

Sharon (Simi) Ehcstasy Well I just went outside of my workplace in the Northern suburbs and sat on a bench amidst all the trees, possums and quiet to read .... heaven,

message 16: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Sharon wrote: "Well I just went outside of my workplace in the Northern suburbs and sat on a bench amidst all the trees, possums and quiet to read .... heaven,"

Heaven, for sure! :)

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Delandro | 16 comments Sharon wrote: "Well I just went outside of my workplace in the Northern suburbs and sat on a bench amidst all the trees, possums and quiet to read .... heaven,"

I would have trouble remembering to go back to work if it were me....

Sharon (Simi) Ehcstasy Jenny wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Well I just went outside of my workplace in the Northern suburbs and sat on a bench amidst all the trees, possums and quiet to read .... heaven,"

I would have trouble remembering ..."

True - so tempting to finish my book. I was at a really hot bit too.

Sharon (Simi) Ehcstasy Carmel wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Well I just went outside of my workplace in the Northern suburbs and sat on a bench amidst all the trees, possums and quiet to read .... heaven,"

Sharon, we've had brown snakes de..."

Oh my Lord Carmel that is just plain scary....

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary Carmel wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Well I just went outside of my workplace in the Northern suburbs and sat on a bench amidst all the trees, possums and quiet to read .... heaven,"

Sharon, we've had brown snakes de..."

I come back from a lunch time walk and can I tell you if I saw I snake, not sure what I would do, not sure if I would scream I would be so terrified. I like snakes in the zoo. It was so hot out there, especially walking for an hour. That is scary Carmel.

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary Thanks funny Carmel, I don't blame the poor girl. Pythons are alright just all the other poisonous aussie snakes are scary with their nasty bites.

Sharon (Simi) Ehcstasy Mary wrote: "Thanks funny Carmel, I don't blame the poor girl. Pythons are alright just all the other poisonous aussie snakes are scary with their nasty bites."

Mary glad there are no hot vampire books that have snakes in them because what would we do?

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary Hey Sharon,

We would want our Vampire characters so much we would be gutsy enough to battle the snakes. Plus in all those books most female characters are kick ass.

Sharon (Simi) Ehcstasy Mary wrote: "Hey Sharon,

We would want our Vampire characters so much we would be gutsy enough to battle the snakes. Plus in all those books most female characters are kick ass."

True like in the latest Sherrilyn one - she is kick ase and does actually defeat the snake (spoiler)

message 25: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Carmel wrote: "Mary wrote: "I come back from a lunch time walk and can I tell you if I saw I snake, not sure what I would do, not sure if I would scream I would be so terrified. I like snakes in the zoo. It was s..."

Just noticed your new avatar Carmel! LOVE it! I went to your profile and checked the largest size.

In lots of your posts there are little hints about your work environment (outdoors, animals, ?scientific etc). I'm getting really curious about what you do for a living. LOL.

message 26: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Kramer (nomesque) | 66 comments Favourite place: on the beach, in the shade of a tree, with a icy-cold drink next to me. However...

More commonly: In bed, or on the train, or sitting on the ground at a train station waiting for the train, or sitting on a banana lounge on my verandah among the pot plants.

message 27: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Carmel wrote: "Mandy wrote: Just noticed your new avatar Carmel! LOVE it! I went to your profile and checked the largest size.
In lots of your posts there are little hints about your work environment (outdoors,..."

Your job sounds fascinating. I'm very jealous. Gosh I imagine when the equine flu broke out you must have been "slightly" busy LOL!

I'm going to add your avatar pic to this thread. Be right back.:)

message 28: by Mandapanda (new)

message 29: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Love it! It's beautiful...

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 11 comments The train (because I spend 4 hours a day commuting to & from work), Bed and sitting beneath a tree on a nice day...

message 31: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Alley (traceya) | 485 comments Even though my house is little I have one room I use as a study, where I work, research etc but my favourite room is a little 'reading room' I created with big comfy chairs, loads of bookcases loaded with lots and lots of books. Although now I have my Kindle I read pretty much anywhere and everywhere I've got a spare minute.

message 32: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 366 comments One of my favourite reading spots is out the back, under the grapevine. It's perfect!

message 33: by Mozette (new)

Mozette | 56 comments I have a few favourite places; and have made them favourite places through just using them a lot. The first one is out the front of my unit sitting on the curb of the garden bed; usually on an old cushion I have. It's in the sun, and is lovely in Winter because it keeps me warm. I take the phone out there with me and a bottle of water.
The next place would be out in my yard. It against my side fence near my Poinsettia and under the Lilly-Pilly trees. I usually sit there in Summer because it's too darn hot to sit inside to do that and read (even with a breeze blowing through).
The next place would be my lounge when it's raining... in the afternoon when I'm usually sitting out the front. It's such a lovely feeling to know I'm inside and safe and warm.
Lastly, in bed late at night just before I turn out my light. I love to read to settle my mind and warm into my covers at night. It's a nice feeling to know that when I'm in bed, and reading, my mind knows it's time to get to sleep.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Mozette you make your places to read sound so lovely.

message 35: by Dhitri (new)

Dhitri My favorite reading spot in the house is in the lounge, crouching on a bean bag on the fluffy red carpet by the big windows where there's lots of sun on a good day, a glass of milk and choco chip cookies to keep me company.

However, these days I mostly read in the nursery while breastfeeding my baby or in bed while I wait for baby's night time feeding session!

message 36: by Samantha (new)

Samantha We have a big enclosed area at the back of our home, lots of windows, north-facing - just divine to sit in the Winter sun. So that would have to be my favourite place to read in Winter, although the combination or sun, reading and relaxed state often means I fall asleep! I also like to read in bed just before I go to sleep. Depending on the book (and/or how tired I am) I can read for hours and have to force myself to turn off the light.

message 37: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments Mine is in my grandfathers old chair in front of the stereo. Unfortunately, I'm sharing someone else's house and have to tuck it all in my study.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sorcha-sidhe) Between work & study there's not a whole lot of spare time, so I usually read whenever and wherever I can, which is why I always have a book with me. I might only get to read a few pages each time, but a few is still better than none. :) For example, I can get a whole book finished in just over a week simply by reading it during ad breaks whilst watching TV.

Multi-tasking is an awesome skill. :)

~S.

message 39: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments Sarah wrote: "I can get a whole book finished in just over a week simply by reading it during ad breaks whilst watching TV"

It sounds like you watch too much TV, Sarah.

message 40: by Amber (new)

Amber (ambermay_5) | 48 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Awhhhh, well there is supportive and supportive. While my husband is happy to buy me books, he considers my reading time, time when he can come in interrupt any time he likes and I am supposed to ..."

Your lucky your husband is happy to buy you books, my husband hates that I spend so much time reading and always threatens to sell all of my books on me. My reply is that's fine as long as you understand I will replace every book with new versions which will cost us alot more than I have spent. Back to the topic though I read anywhere I can, I always have a book with me wherever I go..I also have an hour for lunch & I don't live where I work so that's normally filled with me sitting in the kitchen at work reading..

message 41: by Amber (new)

Amber (ambermay_5) | 48 comments Laura wrote: "The train (because I spend 4 hours a day commuting to & from work), Bed and sitting beneath a tree on a nice day..."

Wow that's a big commute

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sorcha-sidhe) Murray wrote: "It sounds like you watch too much TV, Sarah."

Actually, I dont watch nearly enough! :)

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vaccaro (lisadv) Brenda wrote: "My most favourite place to read is in bed before I go to sleep...I can read for min of an hour, and up to 2 or 3 if I can't put the book down!! But I also take my book with me if there's a long wai..."

Toally agree about the waiting room being a good place. I you never leave home without a book in your bag any place / opportunity becomes a reading room.

message 44: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Kramer (nomesque) | 66 comments Amber wrote: "Your lucky your husband is happy to buy you books, my husband hates that I spend so much time reading and always threatens to sell all of my books on me."

Hooooooo boy!!! You must have a lonnnnng fuse! If hubby made that threat in anything more than 100% joking tone, I'd go kablooey. No one threatens my loved ones - family, friends and books. And cats.

message 45: by Amber (new)

Amber (ambermay_5) | 48 comments Naomi wrote: "Amber wrote: "Your lucky your husband is happy to buy you books, my husband hates that I spend so much time reading and always threatens to sell all of my books on me."

Hooooooo boy!!! You must ha..."

I know he is only joking...he wouldn't ever do it because he knows it would upset me...but he doesn't like how much time I spend reading because I could definitely be doing other stuff. :-)

message 46: by Shreeya (new)

Shreeya (outsider) | 1 comments The train - it's great for my fiction reads, and acts as a sleep aid when it's a textbook. Either way, the commute goes by quicker.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I really love reading on the train too. It does have it's risks. Occasionally I get so engrossed I miss my stop. Most of the time my body clock knows how much time has elapsed & I look up just as the train has pulled into my station, sometimes I have an extra, extra long walk.

message 48: by Elizabeth (last edited Nov 09, 2010 05:30PM) (new)

Elizabeth (butterfliesinthesun) | 145 comments I have not answered here yet but here I go... i like reading on the train or bus, But most of all when i get the time i like to read curled up on the couch with a good book and nice Hot chocolate or just a drink so a can take a sip after ever few pages. I don't get to read that much during the day lately, I have become a night reader. It has been taking me ages to read a book called The Restless Dead 10 short stories of horror as I have had so much to do and i keep getting side tracked. I am sorry to hear about your daughter Carmel. I hope she is alright. Take care everyone and stay safe!

message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (butterfliesinthesun) | 145 comments I hope everything will be alright for your daughter, schoolies can be a little out there. But hopefully she just has a good time.

All the best!

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments Favorite spots...I've got a few...On a yellow leather chair in the kitchen/living room...I can sit there for hours!

Outside in the airchair which is sort of like a hammock. It goes under our top deck to hang.

Sometimes in the bath but I worry about dropping the book in the bath..lol

And of course in bed..Comfy! And now we've got a little beanbag rest for the book or ipad it is PERFECT!

« previous 1