Irish Lit & Times discussion

Suggestions.

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by michael spencer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

michael spencer (michael_harmon) | 13 comments Mod
This is the place for you to post your suggestions about the group. What would you like to read or discuss together? What kinds of improvements would you like to see made? Who is REALLY the most Irish of the members? Etc.

message 2: by michael spencer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Also, do not be shy to add any of the books you or anyone else has read or wants to read by Irish folk. I believe you can do so by clicking the 'add books' link where the covers are displayed. :)

message 3: by michael spencer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Don't forget to add threads for things you'd like to discuss, and to post suggestions to others, including myself, about any ideas you have for the group. All respectful thoughts are always welcome. Assert your good(reads)-natured selves! :)

Good times!

-msh

message 4: by Rosemary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Rosemary | 5 comments Michael, thank you so much for starting this group. Though I live in Texas, my family traces its roots back to Ireland, England, Holland, and France, so I'm all mixed up, like many Americans.

I adore Irish music, storytelling, and poetry and am looking forward to learning more from the members of this group.

Recently, I read an excellent book by the late Irish writer Jack Holland (who spent much of his career chronicling the Troubles). The book is called MISOGYNY: THE WORLD'S OLDEST PREJUDICE and offers a vivid sweep through history as well as an insightful discussion of misogyny (a subject of particular interest to me in my own writing).

Again, my thanks.
Rosemary

message 5: by Joan (new)

Joan | 8 comments Hey, I just read brendan o'carroll's mammy, chisellers, and granny! I must say they touched my soul...I can connect to the streets of dublin and the hard working Irish women it produced...actually all of Ireland produced women with such energy and nonresitence that they made the world a far better place...fantastic books!! one of the few cultures that women are respected and admired for their mental strength.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Johnson | 10 comments My favorite Irish book is Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly. It gives wonderful descriptions of a family's struggles during the potato famine and during subsequent years in Chicago. There is a historical trilogy by Ann Moore, which begins with Gracelin O'Malley that is also wonderful.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi there everybody from Italy! I'M massimiliano, Q&R is a no-profit company working on books and irish culture in Italy and in Dublin with some 'really' irish friends.

Best author for me: John Banville.
Ciao! Slán!

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 2 comments Michael Viney writes great books about Ireland in accurate detail. One of which i read was "Ireland's Oceans". This was a great book for anybody interested in learning about Ireland and Irelands ancient and modern relationship with the Atlantic and the seas that surround the island. His detail on the species that inhabit the waters in the present day is very interesting and worth the read.....

message 9: by Dignan90 (new)

Dignan90 | 1 comments read a really great book called a great sacrifice, it is about the people from Ireland that died in world war 1...really interesting read. Anyone interested in Irish history etc should check out www.localbooks.ie. You will find some really unique books there

message 10: by Adele (new)

Adele (adele13348) | 3 comments I too loved the Brendan O'Carroll books but I'm a long time admirer of Frank McCourt and Angelas Ashes. So poignant, so well written. Thanks for all the suggestions here!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Elizabeth I'm reading The Empty Family: Stories by Colm Tóibín right now, and I have a collection by Eamon Kelly waiting to be read on my bedside table. We were reading short stories in my American lit class, so I decided to read some more Irish ones. I have read Dubliners and really enjoyed them.

message 12: by Adele (new)

Adele (adele13348) | 3 comments There was a list posted recently on Irish Central of the 20 Irish novels to read before you die. They include some of the more obvious ones (Ulysses, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Molloy) and some that were not known to me (The Country Girls, The Book of Evidence, Strumpet City). I've decided to read myself through the list. Anyone want to join me?

message 13: by Anncar77 (new)

Anncar77 | 5 comments Could you please provide the link for the list?

message 15: by Anncar77 (new)

Anncar77 | 5 comments Thanks! The Book of Evidence is one of my all-time favorites.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Elizabeth Is anyone up for the idea of a monthly or bi-monthly group book read?

message 17: by Adele (new)

Adele (adele13348) | 3 comments Sarah:
I'm in!

message 18: by Rubyryan (new)

Rubyryan | 1 comments Adele wrote: "There was a list posted recently on Irish Central of the 20 Irish novels to read before you die. They include some of the more obvious ones (Ulysses, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Molloy) and some th..."

I'll give it a go! Probably will take me a couple of months for each one though :)

message 19: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 10 comments Two of my books are free on Kindle 14 - 15 Feb. One is light crime and the other is equestrian romantic suspense; both are set in Ireland. Enjoy!
Any reviews would be much appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_...

message 20: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 10 comments I've suggested some Celtic fantasy books by Janeen O'Kerry. I've added the covers to the bookshelf.
Queen of the Sun, Daughter of Gold, Lady of Fire etc.
These are all romance novels but mainly they do a very good job of describing life at the time from horses to food and clothing.

message 21: by Jina (new)

Jina Howell-Forbes | 1 comments My strong suggestion is "Casting Off" by Nicole R. Dickerson. The basic plot of the novel would have made for a terrific story in any country, but the addition of Irish culture, the scenery of the Western Islands, and the incorporation of the meanings of the Island sweater stitches made this one of my top Irish stories ever.

message 22: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 10 comments Maeve Binchy has a new book coming out called Chestnut Road.
Over the years she would write a short story tangentially connected to the fictional Dublin road and put it in a drawer 'for later'. Thus we get a reflection of the changing times in Ireland's society, from the fifties to the Divorce Referendum in 1995 and to modern life.
I've read this for review and really enjoyed it; witty, acerbic, gossipy and comfortable as ever.

message 23: by Denis (last edited Mar 19, 2014 12:23PM) (new)

Denis Hearn | 14 comments Goodread Giveaway just ended for "Claddagh Pool" Over 580 readers requested the book and there were 3 lucky winners.

Add reviews to Goodreads or Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Claddagh-Pool-D...

Thanks for your interest.

Book is available on Amazon or Kindle.

message 24: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 10 comments Hi folks,

To celebrate Bloomsday - the day featured by James Joyce when his protagonist Leopold Bloom went strolling around Dublin in 'Ulysses' - I am making:
Murder at Irish Mensa
Murder at Irish Mensa (Mensa Mystery Series, #1) by Clare O'Beara
free on 14 / 15 June.

So grab it as a download on Amazon and enjoy!

Many thanks to those of you who have already left reviews here and on Amazon. Your time is much appreciated.
http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Irish-Me...

message 25: by Denis (new)

Denis Hearn | 14 comments Claddagh Pool. Murder set in Connemara.

message 26: by Alison (new)

Alison (GleefulGirl) | 1 comments Recently I read the book, 'Room' by Emma Donaghoe. Disturbing but brilliant book.

message 27: by Rashers (new)

Rashers Tierney | 5 comments You might enjoy my new book; it blends trivia, humor, history in a short, enjoyable read that's tongue-in-cheek but full with fascinating facts and entertaining anecdotes--"F*ck You I'm Irish: Why We Irish Are Awesome" There's a free preview on my book page. Yours, R. Tierney