The Sword and Laser discussion

MMO Player/Escapee? Consider Mogworld

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (halfadd3r) I JUST got done reading Mogworld and while it's no classic of fantasy/sci-fi I can highly recommend it. This book hit me on both the Sword AND Laser levels, and was just a fun read. I caught myself doing /LOL more than once.

If you've ever played an MMO *COUGHVeronicaCOUGH*, this is something you should definitely pick up.

Without giving too much away, the main character is a game sprite who's world is only just beginning to be set-up for use by players. Some in the world see it as opportunity. Others as an apocalypse! Even the "Gods" aren't all on the same page and hilarity ensues.

I don't have anyone IRL I can suggest this to, so I wanted to post it here. Keep up the great podcast/group/community!

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbetts) Already on my to-read shelf, glad to hear it's good!

message 3: by Philip (new)

Philip (pkinchington) | 16 comments Ah, that's the book by Yahtzee Croshaw AKA the Zero Punctuation reviewer. Need to add that to the list, cheers for the tip.

In a similar vein, I think, a friend of mine recommended a book called Halting State by Charles Stross. Not got round to reading it yet. Apparently it's about the investigation into a bank robbery that takes place inside a WoW-like MMO. A band of Orcs and other monsters stormed into the bank and stole everyone's hard-earned gold.